Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
My mechanic told me that Tundra's have a metal timing belt and should last forever, unless a catastrophic condition occurred to motor.

So why were you changing it to begin with ? and why did they do it, being a specialty shop?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My mechanic told me that Tundra's have a metal timing belt and should last forever, unless a catastrophic condition occurred to motor.

So why were you changing it to begin with ? and why did they do it, being a specialty shop?
OP has a 1st Gen Tundra with the 4.7l motor which has a timing belt. Your Tundra has a timing chain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most Toyota mechanics should be able to do this job in under 2 hours. Ive personally done this job atleast 30+ times. So I can do it in a lil over an hour.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I work fast and don't take breaks. And I get paid by the book not by the hour.
That I understand. I'm more interested in what you do or don't do. On a lift or on the ground? Radiator stays in I assume. Do you drain the coolant? What do you do with the alternator, power steering pump and AC compressor? How do you keep all the fasteners and parts organized?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Took off left side TB cover and they did put a new timing belt on.

So technically they did the job. Not impressed with workmanship, lots of broken clips, missing bolts and the radiator has looked better... I can't help but think they didn't inspect anything else while they were in there either...

I don't have a problem paying for a 4.5 hour job they can do in under 2; but I expect them to do the job right.

I would recommend you avoid Highline Import Auto in Mesa, Az

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Could it be possible that they disconnected the negative on the battery cable while working on it, as you should, which would reset the clock on the dash cam? That would put it at 12 o'clock by default and the 38 minutes after could be the time it took to burp the cooling system, check for leaks, etc... But that's assuming you don't have constant footage of the work from start to finish. If it's broken up though then this may be the case. Sorry, just thinking off the top of my head.
Thought about that also, but the camera runs the whole time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I really hate to ask a magician for his secrets but I want to hear BigN8's secret. I am debating on doing it myself or find him...

I don't agree with my local dealerships water pump price of 350.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
Anyone know what went here? Is awfully shiny to have not been covered for 15 years...
Nothing goes there. Look at the rest of the engine; perhaps they just spilled something and wiped it off.

However ...

There is nothing on that black plastic timing belt cover. Mine has a peel-off-stick-on sticker which shows the date and mileage of the timing belt change. It comes with the new timing belt, and they were supposed to fill in the date and mileage and stick it there. So, did they put it somewhere else, a trash can, perhaps?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Anyone know what went here? Is awfully shiny to have not been covered for 15 years...
I just looked at that spot on my truck. There is nothing there.

So technically they did the job. Not impressed with workmanship, lots of broken clips, missing bolts and the radiator has looked better... I can't help but think they didn't inspect anything else while they were in there either...
The problem with the book time system is that it encourages the minimum acceptable standard of workmanship. Cut every corner, leave off any part that is not essential, bolts missing, hand tight or overtightened. Nothing gets torqued, gasketed surfaces are not cleaned, just band-aided with goop.

Fabulous.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I really hate to ask a magician for his secrets but I want to hear BigN8's secret. I am debating on doing it myself or find him...

I don't agree with my local dealerships water pump price of 350.
There aren't really any secrets. But being a mechanic with a photographic memory helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The problem with the book time system is that it encourages the minimum acceptable standard of workmanship. Cut every corner, leave off any part that is not essential, bolts missing, hand tight or overtightened. Nothing gets torqued, gasketed surfaces are not cleaned, just band-aided with goop.

Fabulous.
This is why I do all the work on my truck myself. :) I also enjoy doing it but that aside, I figure I can buy any tools I might need, still do it for less money, and be sure it was done right.

It took me about 8 hours to do my timing belt, pulleys, tensioner, water pump, all rubber coolant/heater hoses, and refill with fresh coolant. I hadn't done a 4.7 TB before but have done others. I do have air tools in my garage though. Without them, this would have been much harder and taken longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had this job done at local shop. For some reason they left the key on so my dash cam recorded the job. From hood up to hood down was 1hr 49min... Seems fast to me. Can the job be done in that time period?

Also on the way home discovered AC didn't work, yes we are using our ACs in Az already :) When I got home found they had disconnected the ground wire from the compressor. Was this necessary? Took me awhile to find a 5mm bolt that would fit.

And for those curious it was $701.30 out the door to replace timing belt, water pump & serpentine belt. In Mesa, Az.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts