Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AIP thread, amongst others is making me wonder. How long do we think these trucks will last, realistically? Or any modern vehicle for that matter. With all the electrical doohickeys and pumps and emission stuff, can we really expect a vehicle to last past, say 10-15 years? Older vehicles just didnt have that stuff. And it's expensive to replace. Or even diagnose in order to repair or replace.

Now, I know there are older vehicles than 10-15 years out there, but how many of the total vehicle population from that period are still here? used to be that careful maintenance was the ticket to a long lasting vehicle. But nowadays, many things go wrong which have nothing to do with maintenance. Vehicles are going to have solid bodies, engines and trannies, but be headed for the junkyard because of a faulty ECU (maybe a solder has given way?) or some other thing.

Just something I've been thinking about......

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
The AIP thread, amongst others is making me wonder. How long do we think these trucks will last, realistically? Or any modern vehicle for that matter. With all the electrical doohickeys and pumps and emission stuff, can we really expect a vehicle to last past, say 10-15 years? Older vehicles just didnt have that stuff. And it's expensive to replace. Or even diagnose in order to repair or replace.

Now, I know there are older vehicles than 10-15 years out there, but how many of the total vehicle population from that period are still here? used to be that careful maintenance was the ticket to a long lasting vehicle. But nowadays, many things go wrong which have nothing to do with maintenance. Vehicles are going to have solid bodies, engines and trannies, but be headed for the junkyard because of a faulty ECU (maybe a solder has given way?) or some other thing.

Just something I've been thinking about......
good point. some stupid parts to keep a check engine light off will wind up costing more than the truck several years down the road....and some of us live in areas it has to pass an inspection..so i bet you are right. somethign goes belly up with some fancy air pump on a 10 year old truck and it goes to the junkyard cause it doesnt work anymore...

same thing with airbags and such. used to, if you banged a truck into a tree, yeah the truck got hurt but nothing a fender/hood/bumper and some body work couldnt fix. now you are looking at thousands of bucks just in assorted airbags and sensors and dash parts and steering wheel parts before you even look at the body work. so theres already a ton of vehicles meeting the total loss fate simply because of the "Extras"....the car probally still runs and drives fine just is cosmetically smooshed but the insurance company says no go due to the SRS crap. up here at work, that seems to be the standard for if we total out our cop cars or not, if the airbags blow then they dont fix it and off to auction it goes. and weve had some severe smasheroos that didnt involve front ends or the car was parked and no airbage deployment etc and they fixed it and its back on teh road, but some people who plow over a median and bend a radiator bottom, and a couple of wheels but blow out the bags, its a goner.... kinda weird if you ask me. but they dont.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Man, good point! I didn't even THINK of airbags. Woulda hoped they would go down in price by now. Evidently not!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts