Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
xcantuaj said:
How long will Sequoia last assuming you kept up with standard maintanence.
Please tell me this is a joke, right? Please? :confused:

·
Registered
76 Posts
wth are u talking about??? What are u trying to say, sequoia are disposable??

I've driven Toyota for a long time, and to me old or new, Toyota cars and trucks last forever, that's why you can rely on them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Classic

8 years, 5 months, 4 days, 6 hours, 32.122 sec
Thanks man I needed a smile. But I have to correct you on one thing it should be a straight 32 seconds. Don't forget to round to the nearest whole number when speaking of a toyota lifespan...
Big Al

In all seriousness, I don't see why it shouldn't go 240K+...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smart assess, what I was trying to say was (some toyotas go 300,000 miles without major problems can we say the same for this Seqouia?)

·
Premium Member
6,435 Posts
I don't think anyone can answer that yet, unless there is some statiscal analyse done on existing high mileage Sequoia's. The Sequoia has only been around since 2001. I doubt there are many that have reached even 100k yet.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I also was confused by the original question. But if we're looking at what might be the "life" drivers on a Sequoia, I'll agree we don't have a good data base since Sequoias have only been around since 2001.

However, we might be able to look at the Tundras and ask long long their components last, since much of the components ought to be pretty much the same as on a Sequoia. Off the top of my head, I'd say the lifetime determinants would be..

Engine -- same as the Tundra

Transmission -- ??

Body (mechanical and rust) -- ?? Should have been physically treated and coated the same, but someone else will have to speak up, since we don't get much rust here.

Mechanicals (small motors, hinges, door seals, etc.) -- ?? Probably the same vendors as the Tundra.

Electronics -- These are the engine electronics and the vehicle system electronics, not the radio/ nav system/ etc . I've never seen this be the lifetime constraint on a vehicle, so I'd guess these are not any constraints on life.

Anyone have any insight into Tundra experience with high-mileage engines and trannies?

·
Registered
54 Posts
In 1983 my parents bought the first model Camry that came out. I graduated college in 1997...driving that same Camry, not sure about exact mileage, easily over 300k. Never a major problem beside usual wear, timing belt, brakes etc. I was the 4th teen to have that car...talk about reliability...So lets hope Toyota keeps up the build quality in all their cars and trucks, it's one of their biggest attributes:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kidding aside:

Toyota warrants bumper-to-bumper for 3yrs/36K and drivetrain 5yrs/60K miles. Clearly they don't expect major problems in that period.

Additionally, an extended warranty covering all major systems to 7yrs/100K miles can be bought for a little over $1K. Apparently those who sell the extended warranty aren't statistically expecting any major problems in that span. (Major problems being that which cost $1000 or more to fix).

So I expect on average, no major problems for the first 7 yrs/100K miles.

After that, how long the vehicle lasts will depends on:
1) Design and materials quality of the major systems
2) Luck
3) How you drive the vehicle
4) How you maintain the vehicle

In that order I think.

I expect my Sequoia to last at least 10 years knowing that probably I'll have at least one major repair in that span. If I'm willing to make repairs as the vehicle gets older, I'm willing to bet I can get 15yrs/300K out of it, or maybe more.

Then again, the chances are also very good that someone will come out with something that obsoletes anything made in '03 (full sized hybrid ?) and I'll have to have it--so much for 300K.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I posted in the Tundra section an article about the new plant in Texas. In one of those articles in mentions specifically a new SUV based on Tundra/Sequoia in the size range of the Suburban.

What does this mean in regards to how long a Sequoia will last you ask?:confused:

Well....I planned on mine lasting a long time but I will most certainly get the itch if they build a Suburban fighter with a 5.4L or greater V-8.....or better yet a diesel.:D

·
Registered
170 Posts
It will last as long as you never let your teenage kid (or wife) drive it ever. Seriously when I bought it I figured 6-8 years but then reality set it I can't go 2 years without the itch, but I will get to 5 at least before trade in. If Toyota doesn't fix the hum, vibration and customer concerns it could be a Nissan Full Size next time. But who the heck knows anymore. Maybe Toyota will buy Nissan. :p

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would expect at least 200,000 with out problems (assuming regular maintenance and not used for regular heavy towing).

·
Registered
7 Posts
129,000 miles so far. Just died on the hwy suspect fuel pump. Has been great not real issues other than normal wear and tear. Did have some exhaust manifold problems covered under warranty. Does not even burn any oil.

·
Registered
35 Posts
WOW, I'm only up to 46,000 miles. But I've had a company car for awhile that sees a lot of personal miles. Although the Sequoia is headed to Galveston this weekend

·
Registered
7 Posts
GP1200 said:
WOW, I'm only up to 46,000 miles. But I've had a company car for awhile that sees a lot of personal miles. Although the Sequoia is headed to Galveston this weekend
It did end up being a fuel pump. to be expected for as many miles as we have.

·
Registered
11 Posts
xcantuaj said:
How long will Sequoia last assuming you kept up with standard maintanence.
takin care of it plays a major part, I know two people that have blown their corolla engines around 140 and 120k miles but when you actualy get the whole story they forgot to change the oil... :eek:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wes33 said:
takin care of it plays a major part, I know two people that have blown their corolla engines around 140 and 120k miles but when you actualy get the whole story they forgot to change the oil... :eek:
Know one corrolla owner whose engine blew up at 160k- he never had the timing belt changed rec changes 50k back then

·
Registered
85 Posts
At least 10 years and 250K miles

I plan on my 2004 lasting me until 2014 with at least 250,000 miles. :rolleyes: I am shooting for 300K miles, but will be happy with 200,000 and ten years. :D I expect this out of all Toyota vehicles! :eek: (This Sequoia was built in Indiana and Engine was built in Alabama. :tu: So, I am holding out that a vehicle built in the USA :tu: is built as well as that built outside of the USA. :tu: There still has to be some pride :eek: left in building a quality product:clown: .)

·
Registered
27 Posts
If I can get 227,000 out of my Explorer, I expect to get at least that much out of my Sequoia! Seriously, you can make ANY car last as long as you keep up with maintenance. YMMV,

Bryan

1 - 20 of 22 Posts