Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious how many miles people are getting out of these I-force V8's (4.7). This is my third brand new Toyota, but first V8.

They build an excellent V6 and 4 banger, but I'm a bit uncertain about the longevity on the V8...

(Trying to feel more secure about 28.5K investment)

What is the most miles you know on a V8 Toy??

Thanx
Kevin

·
Registered
226 Posts
that V8 has been out for years dont worry.I have 50k+and others have way more dont worry.lexus remember its been out for a long time.

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
i'm at 80K, there's a guy on the site somewhere (look for the "high mileage tundras" thread, youll have to search for it) who put over 100K on a new tundra in under a year (he's a courier i think), and toyota engines regularly go beyond 200K (the dealer here in dayton has an old 22r with a big sticker bragging about being over 450K and still going strong)...just make sure you do the maintenance, like changing the oil/air/fuel filters, fluids, and small mechanical items like plugs and valves on schedule, and eventually other stuff like pumps and whatnot. there are a lot of guys on the board who are auto mechanics or old hands at doing thier own maintenance, theyre a great help for advice on how to manage some of this stuff.

lotta really helpful stuff in the old postings here on engine & drivetrain, and how-to.s in the garage section.

-sean

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I've worked on Lexus LX470's with over 100,000 miles on the odometer,original drivetrain (same 4.7 V8 as the Tundras). We just worked on a 1990 LS400 with over 350,000 miles,still the original V8 engine (the older,smaller displacement version of the 4.7).

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
EdJadeSR5Tundra said:
I've worked on Lexus LX470's with over 100,000 miles on the odometer,original drivetrain (same 4.7 V8 as the Tundras). We just worked on a 1990 LS400 with over 350,000 miles,still the original V8 engine (the older,smaller displacement version of the 4.7).
EdJade---Was 2000 the first year for the 4.7 in the LX470? Did the smaller V8 in the LX470 have any of the same problems as the 4.7 in the Tundra? Is it the same engine only smaller? Is the LX470-- 4.7 having the same problems as the Tundra. ---Just curious--Buzzard

·
Registered
187 Posts
noonch has over 115K

·
Registered
557 Posts
Believe the Tundra came out in 1999, before the usual Sept. date, as a 2000 model. My bud RD has an early one, but low mileage. RD also has the Audi A8 and the new H2, nice stable!

Believe the Lexus 4.7 engine has an aluminum block, the Tundra a cast iron bloc. Don't know about the tranny history. Mebee EDjade could fill us in here, too.

80, 000 miles towing heavy loads in the mountains mostly in drive with the OD off, highway with the OD on, lots of D2 and 4WD-lo. Average ~18.7 mpg when not towing, Ramona Chevron 87. Absolutely NO problemas so far, knock on my wooden head.

Use the Tundra to move stuff around on the prop here too, 4WD.

Cheers,
-RH

·
Registered
557 Posts
Ment to say 4Wd-hi, rarely lo.

For our use, an AWD version would be better in the tight turns, patchy ice, wet roads, dirt and gravel county roads, mud & snow winter months, etc. The Lexus AWD, with limited slip low, bears this out. No buttons to push, no in-n-out burger, just drive.

Cheers,
-RH

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Red Hornet - The 2UZ engines in Lexus SUVs are cast iron just like the Tundras. I have a shortblock from one,and it's definitely not aluminum (almost had a hernia lifting it to the bed). The newer VVTi 4 liters (98+ LS400 and GS400) and the 4.3 (LS430/GS430/SC43) are aluminum though.

Buzzard - The LX470 came out in 1998,it always had the 4.7 liter engine (hence the 470 in the model designation). The 4 liters (1UZ) are found in the LS sedans, I haven't seen or heard any problems with these (4.7) engines except for the shortblock I brought home,over 100,000 miles and the customer barely changed the oil (didn't even read on the dipstick when it came in with a knocking noise complaint).

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have nearly 90K on my early production 2000 Tundra, and have no problems. The oil stays pretty clean, so I know it has had regular oil changes. I also have a 84 pickup with 22r with 170k and a 95 Avalon V6 with 153k. These vehicles are built to last.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Nirion,
If you had to characterize your driving habits would they be...
flog it whenever you get a chance
nurse it for ultimate longevity
somewhere in the middle

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanx for the info guys. I really had no clue the V8 had been out since 1990. I knew Lexus made the original version of this motor, but though it was more recent then that...

Yes, it's one solid truck. And driving and suspension is way better then even 5 years ago.:tu:

Kevin

·
Registered
273 Posts
LS 400

My father in law has a 91 LS 400 w/ 200K, and he has put that thing through hell. He drives it on a farm daily and it still drives as smooth as it always has. Hey a guy from Utah in the Lexus magazine had the same car as above and has 500K on his, 500K thats awsome.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Punisher:

I would have to say somewhere in the middle. I am still paying for the Tundra and want it to last (if I keep it that long :D ) but I do enjoy beating those Civics, since they never expect it.

Nick

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
Yup !!! 116,501 yesterday !!!

I bought mine at the end of 1999. Still running strong !! I drive mostly freeway traffic, but like to stomp on it now and again to let everyone hear my TRD exhaust.....

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I have a 2000 with 108,000 miles. No signs of giving up at all.

A friend of mine has an older small Toy truck 4 cyl. with 365,000 miles. Doesn't show signs of giviing up either, although the body is in really rough shape.

I hope to get many more miles out of this thing. :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a 2000 Tundra V8 4X4. 108K miles on it. Absolutely no issues at all.

After 15K miles I went to Mobil One Synthetic every 4K miles. Burns zero oil.

When I had the timing belt changed at 95K miles, I had them check the valves. No adjustment was necessary.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts