Toyota Tundra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
152k on my 2002 Limited 4WD

152,000 on my 2002 (yes, 2002) Limited 4WD. Don't sweat it guys it's a Toyota! Just routine maintenance and a couple of windshields. Have NOT changed the timing belt yet. Mostly highway miles cruising at 2000RPM for hours on end. 18-19MPG.

Only in a Toyota baby!

·
Registered
326 Posts
The i-force motor, is, but isn't an interferance motor. Ya see it "can" bend valves, and then again it may not, varibles include engine speed along with other factors. Most cars the have overhead cams do bend, Toyota was one of the few that didn't. The reason for the valve bending V-8, more power. If you noticed Toyotas other belt motor lack in power big time! It should cost bout 300 plus the cost of coolant and an accessory belt when your doing it! My advise DO IT AT 90000 for cheap insurance!

L

·
0 Posts
I have a 2001 Tundra with 293,000 miles on it still runs like the day I bought it with no major repairs. Also just purchased a 2003 Tundra.

Try putting this kind of mileage on a Chevy, Dodge, or Ford.

·
Premium Member
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Dude Boy said:
One of the newer TS members got 81 miles out of his I-Force before it let go.

81 miles
Wow....that is one ugly story. Man...if that happened to me....I'd be demanding a new truck. Turned out OK in the end....but a bummer for the poor soul that bought his "great deal discounted" 81 mile TRD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2000 tundra V8 now has 144,000 miles. I bought it used and never knew if the timing belt was ever changed. I had procrastinated but decided to be safe and had it done yesterday. My mechanic advised I was very lucky as the belt was close to failing. You could see deep exterior cracks about every 1/4 inch all the way around. The mechanic said he had never seen one with this many cracks that was still working. Be advised. Don't wait too long.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
I just passed 232,000 miles on my 4.7L. Doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil between changes either. Take care of it and you will be taken care of. :dance:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
My 2000 tundra V8 now has 144,000 miles. I bought it used and never knew if the timing belt was ever changed. I had procrastinated but decided to be safe and had it done yesterday. My mechanic advised I was very lucky as the belt was close to failing. You could see deep exterior cracks about every 1/4 inch all the way around. The mechanic said he had never seen one with this many cracks that was still working. Be advised. Don't wait too long.
How much money did it cost you to do the change?

·
Registered
798 Posts
The 4.7 is an old school, proven, bulletproof design based on the 1989 Lexus 4.0 V8. Well almost bulletproof (has weaker connecting rods than the 1989 Lexus 4.0 V8 so be careful not to overrev the 4.7).

The 5.7 is all new (has resin coated internals, the 4 timing chains and the hydraulic roller rocker arm valve lifters). So it's the 5.7 owner who will be the test mules that will end up learning whether or not the motor has design weaknesses or not as the miles pile up.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I have 153k on my 2004 4.7. Thing still rocks out. I know a couple people that had 250k when they got rid of them. Take care of your engine and it will take care of you.

Love my Truck.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just passed 232,000 miles on my 4.7L. Doesn't leak or burn a drop of oil between changes either. Take care of it and you will be taken care of. :dance:

Ditto, 367,000 Km ( 229,000 mi ) no leaks or loss of oil between changes. Compression is still up at 230 psi with variance less than 5 psi between cylinders.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My old Landcruiser LX 450 had 250K on the dot. I trade it in for the Sequoia. I swear all I've did was the oil, filter and tires...Oh, one rear main seal, 500 bucks job.

That is why I came back and got the Sequoia, I didn't want the LX 470 due to expensive self leveling suspension and the leather.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just turned 200,000 and getting ready to replace my timining belt again. Waited till 116,000 and it broke going 70 mph. It is an interference motor, but somehow no damage was done. The mechanic couldn't believe it. I'm definitely changing it this time.

Tom

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
i have a 2002 Extended cab LTD 4X4 and i drive it like i stole it and i do maintenance on it like i still owe money on it and it I just turned to 135K miles and i am 100% satisfied with it.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
mine died today with 210,000 :( I am very, very upset over it and am trying to figure out what to do. I loved that truck so much and thought I would easily get 250,000 out of it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Get a used 5.7 and see if you can drop it in :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just bought a 2000 4WD 4.7 with 309000 miles and it runs great. I totaled a 2002 4.7 2wd last week with 90000 miles. Can I remove the engine from the 2002 (still runs) and put it in the 2000 4wd? The only difference I see is that the 2002 has IForce written on it.

41 - 60 of 88 Posts