Toyota Tundra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would think you'd be able to do that. The only thing I'd be concerned about is that all of the electrical items that the computer interfaces with were the same between the different years. I'm not saying they're not, I just don't know. I think what I'd do is take all of the sensors, etc. off of the original engine and transfer them onto the new one just to be sure. Or if you wanted to spend the time, research to see if the part numbers match up from each.

On another note, I can remember when I was growing up in the 70s, when a car got to having 60K miles on it, it was considered to be worn out by most dealers where trade in value was concerned (and there was some truth to that). Now these things seem to last forever. 309,000 miles was unheard of back then (except maybe for diesel truck engines). I was talking to a good freind of mine the other day who owns a machine shop that rebuilds cylinder heads. 10 years ago his business was booming because the domestic manufacturers were failing miserably in the area of aluminum head design. No they have improved drmatically in their designs and the newer computer controlled cars are "smart" enough to recognize problems like no oil pressure or overheating and they take measures like richening the A/F ration or going into "limp home " mode to protect themselves from destruction. This basically has caused his business to dry upThe cars and trucks we hve available to us today are so, so much better than what they were years ago. Don't ever let anyone tell you "they don't build them like they used to" :tu:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just bought a 2000 4WD 4.7 with 309000 miles and it runs great. I totaled a 2002 4.7 2wd last week with 90000 miles. Can I remove the engine from the 2002 (still runs) and put it in the 2000 4wd? The only difference I see is that the 2002 has IForce written on it.
That should be a direct replacement.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm a Technician and am very punctual on all maintenance. My last Tundra 2003 Limited 4WD Sold at 183K Running PERFECT. Current one is at 179K about to put in second timing belt kit. I have meticulously changed oil, oil system cleaner, fuel filter, induction cleaner, fuel system cleaner etc. on them and maybe that is the reason why they have ran like brand new for me.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I just purchased a 2003 Tundra 4.7 with 145,357 miles on it. The guy did all recommended service including timing belt at 90,000. Runs strong and drives as if it were brand new. I was worried about the timing belt before I found out it was changed and got a number of quotes. Just the timing belt was around $450. Doing it with the whole kit with water pump, etc was anywhere from $910-$1300 depending on who I called. Glad I don't need to worry about that for awhile

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 04 Tundra DC will tick 300,000 here in a month or two. I've replaced a lot of parts on the truck itself to keep her running but the motor itself has only needed a starter.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ten years ago we bought a '99 Land Cruiser with shat I think is the same basic V8 in it. It had 117,000 at the time. We have 205,000 on it now. Did have to replace oxygen sensor and starter. Otherwise nothing. Runs great, zero oil consumption. I have an '07 Tundra 95,000 miles. Joined forum today because I was looking for info on air induction pump. Based on advice here, called dealer and Toyota will cover replacement. Thanks for a great forum!

·
Premium Member
7,921 Posts
Mileage in signature. Standard maintenance. Shooting for another ten years.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Reviving a thread because I got a similar question from a customer and like to pass along what we see. We hear from a customer almost every week now that has 300,000 - 400,000 miles on their 4.7L! They are still going strong. I have only heard from one customer who had over 400,000 miles. Most say they are still running as good or better than when they were new. I used to wonder if you could get 300,000 out of em and now I am thinking I am thinking you could potentially get 400,000 - 500,000 out of them before a rebuild if you don't abuse them and take care of them properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2001 has 235,000 on the original timing belt. Its a daily driver and beater truck. I take this truck everywhere from the Rocky Mountains of Colorado to gulf coast of Texas. Never had a problem with the truck and looking to get the t-belt & h20 pump done ASAP.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A Toyota engine that uses either a chain or belt should easily make at least 200K miles if properly maintained.

2003....First new FULL SIZE PU.....Tundra TRD 4x4....YESSSSS!!..
Nicest Rig I've driven.....including my 1996 Acura 3.2TL

Lookout 200K club....here I come

Kevin
Amen Kevin! I have my first Tundra (2004 DC - bought about a year ago had 191k) and it has 199,700 miles on it now.

I done some maintenance to it to help it get another 100k (timing belt replacement, fluid changes, etc.), but it still runs and drives great!

200k club - get ready to add a new member!

·
Registered
24 Posts
261k here and I'd drive it to Canada today. This truck was definitely assembled mid-week, it is solid. I have never had any major mechanical issue with it yet. It has always had Mobil 1 fully synthetic motor oil and for past year have been running Royal Purple ATF. Additionally I have put headers, cold air intake, and MBRP exhaust and drive it like I stole it occasionally. It still runs like a champ, now it certainly has some minor mechanical issues like the notorious "clunking" sound that nobody can seem to figure out exactly what the cause is and a small valve cover leak(which I have gaskets on order). I will keep this truck forever, may buy another new Tundra one day, but will always own and maintain this one to the best of my ability. When I do have daily driver replacement eventually I'll supercharge it and bullet proof the transmission and make it my sleeper toy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just bought a 2001 earlier this year for a beater truck and to drag stuff back and forth from big box stores during our home remodel. Came with 205k already on it so I'm hoping for at least another 100K -200k, long after I'm dead would be a bonus.

·
Registered
4 Posts
261,500 on my 2000. Been running full synthetic since I bought it at 130K miles, and have only had to replace some ignition coils. Had the timing belt done at 190,000. Love this truck. I had a '94 Pickup with the 22-RE that made 259k before someone totaled it, so I'm happy to exceed that in this truck.

No real engine problems until just last week, but I have a really confusing misfire issue lately that I can't figure out. I may post about it on another thread and see what you guys think.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Shoot my dad has a 2001 with 535k on it and it still runs perfect. The only things we've had to replace are the valve cover gaskets, the rack and pinion, a power stearing line and the oil pan gasket will have to be replaced soon it's leaking pretty bad. We bought the truck with a lot of miles on it though so idk where they all came from.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Shoot my dad has a 2001 with 535k on it and it still runs perfect. The only things we've had to replace are the valve cover gaskets, the rack and pinion, a power stearing line and the oil pan gasket will have to be replaced soon it's leaking pretty bad. We bought the truck with a lot of miles on it though so idk where they all came from.
I think my oil pan is leaking (slightly) too.

I have an oil leak somewhere. I gotta find it.

356,000 miles on my 2000.

·
Registered
6,093 Posts
Apparently longer than my relative who traded in his 02 Ford that blew a head gasket at 65K miles on the 5.4L triton engine. I'm almost at 3 times that mileage for the same year Tundra.

Damn, I thought even with domestic trucks, engines last easily over 100K.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts