Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and normally would not start a thread before I was a little better acquainted with a forum and some of the folks who post there, but I'm really interested in and curious about the longevity of Gen 2 Tundras. Partly it's selfish, I just bought an '11 a little over a month ago and have less than 2000 on the odo, I'm really excited about the truck and totally enjoying it, but these vehicles are not inexpensive and I like to think that I might keep mine for many years to come. I am interested in people who have these, perhaps earlier ones, and have put on a lot of miles. I'm also curious about whether you've encountered any issues, whether there are any common problems that have arisen with Tundras and, if so, how those were resolved. And, of course, success stories are of interest. Anyone out there have more than 100K on their odo? 150K? 200K? Even more than that? If so, please tell us about it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just got a 2008 DCLB about 3 months ago, so this thread interest me as well.

Mine had 33,000 on it when I got it. It appears all the maintneance was kept up. So far so good. I got the truck as a tow vehicle for a 16' flatbed I haul my tractor on and a 28' 5th wheel. I pulled the camper for the first time Saturday and I must say, I am WELL pleased. Good power from a dead stop or during acceleration while passing. Brakes were great, no issues slowing down or stopping. My old truck was a 2002 AC. While it would do the job, it was obvious it was more than that truck was designed for. The 08, huge change. Plus the long bed has smoothed out the ride to a huge degree. Much smoother now, even over rough roads.

·
Registered
798 Posts
180,000 trouble free miles out of my 2000 SR5 4.7 Access Cab and now 33,000 miles on the 07. I had the drive shaft replaced due to a leaky trans extension. This was a TSB so the replacement was free. No other problems though.

Love this Tundra and can't wait for the 3rd gen in 2014!

·
Registered
107 Posts
3,304 :D Got it in August

·
Registered
63 Posts
2008 5.7 Double Cab with just over 35,000. Never had an issue with anything.

·
Registered
251 Posts
2007 5.7L DC 4x4 limited with 65K on clock. had a 2002 tundra 4.6 2WD for nearly 10years with 96K on clock trouble free. I wanted a 4x4 so sold 02 and got 07. Loving this truck no issues thus far. I did my first oil change this past weekend and took to Prairie City SVRA for 2nd time to play in mud. It was fun. Overall good truck.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just hit 56k on my '08 and it has never had an issue, just oil changes and maintenance. I have done a lot of pulling as well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2007 CM 4x4 with 105,000 miles. Ive replaced the drive shaft under warranty, water pump, fuel gauge sending unit, two belt tensioners, and the driver side seal on the front diff.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
2008 DC SR5 w/ TRD 4x4, just turned 87,000 miles. Routine maintance items. Under warranty had the following replaced: Front Dif for woo-woo sound, water pump, valve cover gaskets, timing chain gasket. (I took it in for a very small oil leak, and the tech said both sides were leaking along with timing chain cover.) No issues since repairs were done.
Plan on keeping it a while.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone who has responded so far, this is great information, just the sort of thing I was hoping to hear, so please keep it coming! OTR would appear to be our Gen 2 mileage champ so far with marcelf22 a reasonably close second!! :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought my 08 brand new and just hit 18,000 miles. Replaced the radio under warranty and have had no problems. Of course I've on ly changed the oil 4 times. :laughing3d:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
91723 miles on my '07. Only defect was a bad radio replaced in the first year. Original brake pads and rotors, on my 3rd set of tires, still gets great mileage. No rattles or squeaks, paint still looks great. Luv my Tundra!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I bought my 08 brand new and just hit 18,000 miles. Replaced the radio under warranty and have had no problems. Of course I've on ly changed the oil 4 times. :laughing3d:
I thought you have to change oil every 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first. Mine is 2010. 5652 miles as of today. I am about to go in for the 3rd oil change.

·
Registered
122 Posts
2007 DC 135,000 miles replaced front rotor traded for a 2010 DC put 110,000 on it and had zero problems now traded it about a month ago for my 2011 DC it now has 4800 and no problems yet. Keep in mind those are all primarily oilfield miles.

·
Registered
252 Posts
5,120 trouble free miles on my 2011 5.7L 4x4 CM, purchase back on Oct 2010. Mostly driving it back and forth from work. I need to take more trips and put more miles on this baby.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Bought new July 07, 20,000 miles. I have various types of vehicles like a SUV, sportscars, sedan and sportbikes.

I spread my miles around.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I thought I didn't have many miles on mine... for low miles. I have an 08 which has about 21k on her now...got her 30Jul2008.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Lots of relatively low mileage Tundras out there it seems. I was shopping for cars with a former girlfriend a while back and was shocked at the mileages I was seeing on cars that were just a few years old. I remember one, a Subaru Outback, that was just one year old and already had over 80K on the odo. Unreal, I wondered how that came to pass. But it was almost standard that a 2 or 3 year old car would have 50-60K on it.

On the subject of oil changes, I was told long ago by a mechanic that if you don't drive a vehicle much you should change the oil at least once a year, regardless of how few miles you put on it. I've followed that advise when I've had a vehicle that I don't drive much. I don't have that condition now.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Just a little over 30K on my 2008. It's my weekend driver :)

1 - 20 of 159 Posts