Toyota Tundra Forums banner

201 - 220 of 226 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
2005 2wd Access/TRD Off road option, 4.7 V8 , 335,006K miles. Just done it's 2nd timing belt/pump kit on it. No majors, no smoke, no oil burn, no rust to date.
But' there is something wrong with the radio (no cd play). Go figure...:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just bought this from my neighbor for $5k. It has 206k miles and has been extremely well maintained with stack of service records from Toyota dealership. Needs nothing.

I replaced all 4 speakers with Polk audio and also replaced the stock radio with a Kenwood. Nothing else. I'd be very happy if it can make it to 250k. Only use it for around the house projects so it will take at least 5 yrs to burn 44k miles :)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Driver of 2 Tundra trucks
6,169 Posts
I purchased my '02 in 2004, it had 17k on it at the time.
Today it has about 157k... it's my dedicated work truck.

My daily driver is an '07 Tundra with about 280k.

·
Registered
4 Posts
2002 Tundra Limited AC 4x4 V8 - 267k miles and counting, running synthetic oil and slowly getting around to fixing some problems.

New brake tubes in various spots, frame rotted through a small bit on the passenger side front part of the main frame. Probably going to take a hammer to it and maybe weld in some reinforcements for now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an 03 with 256K on it with the original engine and tranny I'm told. It has some issues but I planned on doing a little work on it anyway. It misses a little pulling hills but I ordered new ignition coils and I'm hoping that fixes it. Already replaced the plugs and 02 sensors and cleaned the intake. Rack has been replaced but I had to put new mounting bushings on it and that tightened things considerable. Replace all ball jts, cv axles, tie rod ends and struts. At first I didn't like the way it drove. The steering is really low geared, takes a lot of turns lock to lock. I've always driven Tacos so this Tundra has taken some getting used to, but I must say I'm learning to love the easy ride! I spaced up the front to level it out is all the suspension work I've done. It is a silver extra-cab. I'm not sure what all I plan to do in the future, I may leave it as is and just enjoy it. I have a 2013 Mustang GT that has me wrapped around it's finger so most of the mods I do go to it. My Tundra is my work/ fishing and hunting vehicle and it does that really well now. I'm feeling a mod or 2 though just to keep it happy.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I would love to reach quarter of a million. I rolled over the 128K mark this morning in a 2000 AC Limited with 4.7. It had a new tranny put in last year. Interior and switches are wearing badly. Old enough that pieces are getting hard to come by.

·
Registered
3 Posts

No engine or transmission issues.

Only the normal axle leak, CV boots and ball joints. Super reliable truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
2005 2wd Access/TRD Off road option, 4.7 V8 , 335,006K miles. Just done it's 2nd timing belt/pump kit on it. No majors, no smoke, no oil burn, no rust to date.

But' there is something wrong with the radio (no cd play). Go figure...:(

The CD player cables could have come loose in the back of the radio.

·
Registered
98 Posts
125k miles on my 2006 tundra. Towing a 5000 pound trailer. Has water pump and timing belt replaced at 90k miles. Also had to replace my drive shaft u-joints last year as I had a high speed vibration. Am the second owner. Think the previous owner may have ran over something hard at some time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 408,500 on my 2000 - AC - SR5 4.7 L V8. I keep up with the breaks, regular oil changes, 5 sets of tires. Dealer replaced a crack exhaust manifold, years ago. I have a slow transfer case seal leak, just picked up my original alternator after having it rebuilt. This has been and still is a great truck !

·
Registered
42 Posts
Re: How many miles on your Tundra? Who has the highest miles and what is your engine?

honestly, on any modern vehicle, barring domestic models with known problem engines, the engine will far outlast the other components of the vehicle.

modern machining methods and lubrication technology are so good, the engine block is rarely the problem. on a truck with over 150,000 miles, i would be more interested in finding out the condition and cost to replace for: suspension bushings and joints; u-joints; tranny; fuel pump; injectors; interior trim; 4x4 actuators; a/c compressor and parts; window and door seal rubber; windshield rubber; dry rotted brake lines; etc.

if the block made it to over 100K, it's probably good. i would be more concerned about all the other little refinements that make daily driving a pleasure instead of a sloppy, rattling torture session...

my nissan has 180K and no burning or leaking oil. all the other stuff is starting to go, though, and it's hard to find the electrical components in good condition anywhere except the dealer. getting ready to drop 100 bucks so my high beam headlights will work again. then, all new bushings and struts for about a grand of parts and labor. cruise control button contacts wearing out. plastic parts on driver side outside mirror cracked. u-joints getting sloppy. paint scratched. door rubber letting wind noise in. etc... pony up the nickles and dimes or trade it in... ;-O
Well I put upper/lower ball joints, tie rod ends & shocks once around 330k? U-joints soon after.. Normal wear items.

Still original radiator, alt, starter, fuel pump fuel & injectors. No oil leaks no oil burning. Rear brake load valve went south.
I zip tied the rod to bed bottom still not replaced, loaded/unloaded stops great.

Heater control dials replaced once, charged A/C once myself last summer still good this yr at 100+ deg here, stereo/speakers replaced once too had crappy 6 disc hung CD's.

Replaced steering wheel with used off Ebay due to leather wear. (Looked bad)
Muffler upgraded to flowmaster 44 for my taste in sound. Windows, door handles, Rubber seals all works/looks perfect still. Never been garaged..
Nothing major to date... Normal wear items any high mile vehicle has but long after US owned makes will need it trust me.
Had to lube hood release cable recently possibly due to so rarely opening..lol.. 350k+ miles... No rust! Timing belt/water pumps 3 times as per regular 4.7 maintenance schedule. One pump was starting to go out when changed so I replaced the rad cap too then. Caps seal helps hold correct pressure in system so pump seal don't deform & fail sooner..fwiw
Been a fantastic truck, I'd drive it anywhere anyday.
Wish it got better than 13-15 mpg regardless how driven that's all I get but I knew it before buying. Cab mounts & all springs still original too btw. Seats still look & perform excellent. No badly worn places, loose headliners or tears... Its just unreal how well Toys are built. No matter what I say to people & I scream it from mountain tops at times but honestly theres no way to understand until they've owned enough vehicles to know how well these are truly made & compare. Well ' or helped in manufacturing them at a factory?..
Nothing even close to their quality control!

So I owned over 100 vehicles now most makes/models, driven many to 200k+ miles.
For a person who sells a vehicle under 120k thinking it has really high miles they will never really know they got rid of it way waaay too soon with a Toyota or lexus and just to have another payment starting all over again for most too. Sad really..
Just how it is with US cars because you see we're trained like that.. Really gotta get in one and drive and drive, just drive some more to see it's true..lol

After so long you stop paying attention to miles on these, it no longer matters. Then at some point bragging rights insue and at times I just like to set my odometer on trip and let people drive my Tundra and just tell me how many miles it has. Nobody's ever said 100k miles yet.
Best feeling I got was at 336k miles one (New Ford F150) owner guessed mine at about 40k miles while driving/examining it, then almost chit himself, honest I mean got physically shaken for a bit just at the moment I showed correct odometer numbers. It blew his frick'n mind..lmao
"I'd have never drove it had I known miles!"
After nerves settled " But I honestly can't fault it anywhere at all" still driving it around 1/2 hour later was his words... then it came "Are Toyota's really built that well to reach that high miles" he asked? I showed him the million mile ones, in fact one "T100 Clyde" the fish lady owns is right near us.
Needless to say he still brags on my ol' Tundra today I hear.
Sorry this post is so long....A lot to be said about the job Toyota has done for the auto trade.

Here's a lot said, lol..

In the 80's our wonderful big 3 deliberately made cars to die young of natural causes so we stayed full time customers. Aka: light bulb effect.. First bulb ever made still illuminates. How many bulbs we bought since first bulb made?

Okay- but' see Toy just kept building their vehicles the best they possibly could, even to perfection so by 1987 more people bought their Camry averaging 300k miles vs 100k if lucky on US or Euro cars & it really butt hurt the big 3? Still hurts too..lol
After all we taught Toy how to build them after WWII.

I'm retired today but I made brand new OEM parts for most every automobile maker on this contenant including Toy & Harley Davidson for Guardian Automotive and its a fact Toys quality control is second to none , all the rest have chased them & even tried to take them down for over 3 decades just so they can resume building short life cars again like the Vega, K-car or Fiero. Get it?

Think back how we built them a few decades ago or talk to car buyers back then they'll fill you right in.
Many 1966-70 cars went 300k miles btw. We could build them we just didnt. I had 1964 Slant 6 Dodge truck 400+k, friends 1966 Buick V6, 300+k, 1970 302 Ford LTD 325+k, 69 GTO 400 360k miles..We did build them! So did Benz. Saw them with 300-400k miles in 70's.

But' in all honesty what happened is Toys forced them all to build much better cars than they've wanted to build or simply go under.
Just another fact.. Again very sorry for the long post.

Lowest quality standard award goes to Ford , they take anything without a care and simply spend more on advertising to sell it like GM...fwiw. Buy some more awards..yup!

201 - 220 of 226 Posts
About this Discussion
225 Replies
160 Participants
roystundra
Toyota Tundra Forums
Tundra Solutions Forum - the best community to talk, mods, price, repair and research your Toyota!
Full Forum Listing