Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering how many lbs and size trailers you guys are pulling with your 2nd gen tundras? Also how well does it handle the load?

Reason I'm asking is because it turns out the kind of boat I'm looking at for poker runs doesn't weigh as much as I thought. My 4.7L 2wd is rated for about 8100lbs. Example: The 36' Spectre tunnel hull I looked at weighs 7200lbs dry with no trailer. Total length pulling is about 50 feet and the boat has about a 9 foot beam. About 8K lbs oil, full of gas, etc. and add another 2500lbs for the aluminum I-beam trailer. I know my truck could pull it (not happily) but will a 5.7L 4wd pull it any better if i traded in for one? I know a 5.7L can pull it also but is it enough truck to handle that size of a load? Anyone tow big loads with a supercharged 5.7L also?

Here's a couple pics of the boat to show size
36' Spectre Offshore
36' Spectre Offshore

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just to help you further, you should get a set of tires that are LT (light truck) to handle the load. They have a better sidewall and won't compress nearly as much as normal tires.

Michelin LTX for the win

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just to help you further, you should get a set of tires that are LT (light truck) to handle the load. They have a better sidewall and won't compress nearly as much as normal tires.

Michelin LTX for the win
I've got a set of new Michelin LTX M/S 2's on my truck now. I love them and the next truck will get a set too :tu:

·
Banned
444 Posts
5.7 should do fine. If your looking to get another Do the tow package and off-road package, even if you don't do off road. Suspension does a little better with a load. Mine pulls a near 12,000lb very well, But my weight is over the axel.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It's all about torque and the 5.7 has plenty. So yes, it will pull that kind of weight like a dream.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
5.7 should do fine. If your looking to get another Do the tow package and off-road package, even if you don't do off road. Suspension does a little better with a load. Mine pulls a near 12,000lb very well, But my weight is over the axel.
dont mean to hijack this tread but, is there a difference between the off-road package vs. the non-off-road package, besides the obvious, like is there a difference in suspension?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just swapped out my 05 F350 crewcab long bed with camper package and plow springs...aka, stiff for a 2010 Double Cab 5.7. Both are 4x4. I changed mostly because the F350 was difficult to park and driver since it was so long. F350 had 6.8 v10, 362hp 457tq. Tundra has 381hp 401tq. My boat weights around 8200 with fuel/trailer. The Tundra does it no question...just not as calmly as the F350 did. Engines not an issue..just rear spring and lateral movement of the truck..That weight was no thing for the F350 but you notice it on the Tundra. Suffice to say...the daily driving benefits of the Tundra outweight the side effects of the smaller truck when towing...Thats for me...Maybe a once or twice a month tower. If I towed weekly, F350 would have stayed.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dont mean to hijack this tread but, is there a difference between the off-road package vs. the non-off-road package, besides the obvious, like is there a difference in suspension?
Yes, the stiffer suspension on TRD trucks ride better and sit level when towing/hauling but are rough when your not. Non-TRD Tundra's tend to sag in the back when towing/hauling a decent load.

My Tundra is only for pulling my toys so daily driving isn't an issue really. With my current setup, I tow my Baja Outlaw (which is about 7500lbs gross weight) up to 3 hours each way with the farthest lake being the Ozarks with no problems. Cater, I see you have a fifth wheel. I currently tow off the factory receiver but I can get a trailer with a fifth wheel or gooseneck for the next boat if need be. What are you guys using?

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
82k # for a f350 is an overkill aint it? that beast wont even bust a sweat towing your boat. i would love your 350 but thats just too rich for my blood

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Yes, the stiffer suspension on TRD trucks ride better and sit level when towing/hauling but are rough when your not. Non-TRD Tundra's tend to sag in the back when towing/hauling a decent load.

My Tundra is only for pulling my toys so daily driving isn't an issue really. With my current setup, I tow my Baja Outlaw (which is about 7500lbs gross weight) up to 3 hours each way with the farthest lake being the Ozarks with no problems. Cater, I see you have a fifth wheel. I currently tow off the factory receiver but I can get a trailer with a fifth wheel or gooseneck for the next boat if need be. What are you guys using?
mines not a trd package, just a towing package. do i got a stiffer suspension then? so i guess that explain why my back tires got such a big gap and sits higher than the front tires. ill be damn!:eek:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Dang, no wonder my Crewmax sits high on the rear when empty. Sure do learn somethin' new everyday:)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I've attached a few pictures of what I've towed with my 5.7 CM...heaviest was an approx. 7k trailer/skid steer. The truck pulled it fine, but stopping was interesting because I don't think the surge brakes were working that well. The other is a Uhaul 6x12 w/ about 4k of gravel in it. With the proper precautions, these trucks can tow some big trailers.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
first off how far will you be pulling this boat? down the street to the launch and back or on the interstate? we had a 31' ocean master that we would trailer once or twice a year for maintenance it weighed in dry at around 10,000lb we pulled it with a duramax and it handled the weight fine, it was the side wind and trailer sway on the interstate that would cause issues. would a tundra go around the corner to the launch and back fine, yes no problem. if you plan on taking this thing on the highway, you really need to upgrade to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck to handel the trailer sway and any side wind which will move you all over the place in a 1/2 ton. can you do it with a tundra, yes but i woulld not reccomend it for much more than around the block.
thats just my opinion though

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've attached a few pictures of what I've towed with my 5.7 CM...heaviest was an approx. 7k trailer/skid steer. The truck pulled it fine, but stopping was interesting because I don't think the surge brakes were working that well. The other is a Uhaul 6x12 w/ about 4k of gravel in it. With the proper precautions, these trucks can tow some big trailers.
Do you use a weight distribution hitch for your setup(s)?

·
Back from the dead!
1,778 Posts
Only thing I haul is......................... ASS!!! LoL.. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
My TT is a claimed 7200lbs dry, total unit weight including truck is 15,300lbs when loaded. So 700 lbs under my gcvw. The 5.7 has enough power, but barely, and gets brutal mileage. I'm talking 6-7mpg driving 65mph. I use 3/4 tank just to go 120 miles.

Even though my trailer supposedly only has a tongue of 780lbs, I am 300 lbs over my gvwr.

The truck does ok towing it, but I'd be much better off towing my trailer with a 3/4 or 1 ton. It's A LOT of trailer for a 1/2 ton.

my truck is a 08 4x4 dbl cab w/ 5.7 and tow package

1 - 20 of 56 Posts