Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently put adjustable 5100's (highest setting) and a diff. drop on my 2006 DC. After about 3 days of driving, I got under the truck to check and see if my CV's were slinging grease. Of course....they were. So I got a set of 4" hose clamps and did the boot mod. No grease slinging since.

here is my question....

before I put on the hose clamps, I estimate there was about 2 tablespoons worth of grease that was pushed out of the CV's. I did not add more grease when I put on the hose clamps. Do I need to inject more grease into the CV's? or is the amount of grease that I lost not that big of a deal.

Thanks for your input.

ACC

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would prefer not to have to cut off the factory clamps (I installed my hose clamps over the factory clamps) in order to get grease in the CV boots. However, if the little amount that I lost is going to be detrimental, then obviously I will go ahead and grease 'er up.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had the same problem losing grease. Last week I did the boot mod with the 4" clamps.
Have no idea how much grease loss is too much? It's probably hard to tell since it's just a open cavity behind the boot full of grease. I lost a fair amount of grease from mine but still had some in there when I checked.
I went ahead and removed the stock clamps and stuffed some grease up in there when I did the mod.
Better to be safe then sorry was my thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm in the same boat, only leaking on the driver side so far. Is there any concern over the outer boots or only the inner? I will have to drive at least another 50 miles before I can get the hose clamps on there, bought ones that were too small today... How did you get the factory clamp off the boot? I'm worried if I try to get a pair of snips or ***** on there to cut it, I'll end up digging through the boot.. Once off, did you use the regular tip on your grease gun?

Leadshot
06 Dcab 4x4
Tomball, TX

·
Premium Member
7,925 Posts
Slinging grease here too right after I had new gears installed in the front differential. Still need to get that remedied.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guys - I finally got the right size clamps and got mine all sealed up. I tried to get the OEM clamp off to check the grease level and add some but finally gave up before tearing a boot! I hadn't lost much grease, maybe tablespoon from driver side so I hope there's plenty in there still. So far so good, no more leaking.. Now I gotta figure out why my front diff drain bolt is seeping, found a bit of purple on the bottom of the diff and could see where it was coming out by the drain bolt, hopefully just need to snug it up..

·
Registered
429 Posts
I should have taken a picture earlier today......... I did the hose clamp mod right after i bought my truck. At the time, the truck had 54,000 miles and was completly stock. When i got home (bought truck in PHX, drove home to Albuquerque), grease was all over the undercarriage. At the time I didn't mess with taking off old clamps, just put hose clamps over existing clamps and called it good. Last week (10k miles later), i noticed minimal leakage again, and decided to take a look. Upon pulling the boots back, I saw that there wasn't a whole lot of grease in there....and that it had lost most of its viscosity, very fluid-like. It mostly just barely covered all the parts, with nothing extra. I pumped probably 5 squirts worth of grease from the gun into each boot and re-sealed with new clamps. Hopefully i didn't over-do it.

I was happy to see i hadn't torn my stock boots. I've almost just been waiting for this to happen as I have heard they will, especially since i was running ex travel D'Hoes for about 5,000 miles...good for now though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
How are you guys removing the OEM clamps without cutting the boot??

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a very simple answer to your question, would you rather pay out the cash for new cv shafts or pay the 2 bucks a piece for another boot clamp, cut the clamps, take 2 seconds to add some grease and re-clamp it with your new recently purchased clamps??? I used to regrease my old taco cv joints from time to time as well as any front wheel drive car i have owned + an ATV... its quick, painless and easy.... go with your gut feeling... if its bothering you enough to post the question then i would suggest you add some grease! My 5100's are supposed to arrive via fedex today... i will add some grease to my cv joints while i am installing them...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts