Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want some feedback folks, how much is this thing worth sight unseen?

I gotta drive 2.5 hours to see it, and hopefully take it home (on trailer).

I have a 74 F250 4wd with a divorce transfer case, 410 gaers front & rear, dana 60 rear, dana 44 front. It has a 390 with a 4 bbl. & Elderbrock in take & 4 sp granny. It's sitting on 38 x 16 super swampers. THey're are about used up though. It is factory height susp. It does good in the mud. It is driveable on the the street , but when you get high speeds, the front end shakes some.I'd like to trade for a lifted toyota truck or 4runner. Call & make an offer. Or I might trade for another 4x4 or some other kind of vehicle. No dirtbikes,4wheelers,or vans. ( THIS TRUCK HAS BEEN IN THE MUD.)
I only accept cash or trade in person. Don't offer a ridiculous price. I'm in no hurry to get rid of it nor am I hurting for money.

I do know it's not the stock suspension b/c it can clear 38s and I know that the guy basically blew a motor on his 'Yota mud truck and this guy wanted it so he traded him this highboy for it.

Some rust, 1/4 panel damage on the pass. side, floorboard is okay. 4wd works he said, hubs turn effortlessly.

I will offer him $1200 since he would have been lucky to get it for his 'yota with a blown motor.

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So how much would ya'll pay max?

He said it'd tow a 20 ft trailer with a mud rig on it no problem....

I assume the engine's strong still.... tranny would be good nuff. As long as it goes into gear, it shouldn't be an issue. It'll be a rough few days for the truck while I learn it though.

So, is 1200 a fair offer.... b/c it needs new tires? He said they're flat spotted but it'll still run in hub deep mud without an issue.

-rockstate

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'd be ready to pay up to $2000 for it, even though it needs new tires, it's still a strong truck. And on some of them, you can fit 38's with just some fender trimming or a body lift. Good luck with it, I'm looking for a toy too.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
No way I'd go over 2G, prob 1,500 don't forget he said it shakes at higher speed, is that front wheel bearings, U-joints, front diff -- there's some dollars you'll be spending soon, suspension replacement parts at least shocks and if he blew his toyota motor you may be looking at some engine work on that 390 pretty soon down the line too.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses guys.

Something I kinda put to the back of my mind when talking to him was the fact that it might need a new exhaust manifold on the driver or passenger side....

I'll have to ask him bout it..

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
We had a similar setup in an F-350, basically a 3spd manual, with a creeper gear. That extra low first gear was great when you had a big load on, but totally useless otherwise.

The problem we had with the truck was overheating, which was common, a lot of those 390s had poor oil flow. If you work the truck hard or get stuck or stop and go traffic, the heat gauge will sit on the H.

Take a close look at the rad, see if it looks like its been fixed a thousand times, it smells of coolant when you turn the heater on (not that the heater fan is worth a hoot) and it smells like coolant...well

If you buy the truck, consider putting a bigger rad in it, maybe with some dual electric fans.

If you put an aftermarket stereo in it, don't hook up to the ground wire behind the dash, you'll just blow the fuse and the dash lights won't work.

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
It's 30 years old, you may assume "mud" and the owner having blown up a motor in another truck means this one has been abused, it only has a D44 front, and there's an as-yet unidentified problem with the front suspension. I think 1200 bucks is about as much as I'd pay for it, personally...you're potentially looking at a lot of work down the road.

IIWY...if I were looking for a 74 Highboy, I'd look elsewhere...if I were just looking for a beater truck, start at 1200 and see where he goes from there. IMHO 2K is way too much for that truck in its current condition.

Personally I'd probably settle out around 1500 bucks.

-Sean

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds good.... thanks for the input sean.

Looks like we're all in a general consensus on the value of this truck. 1200-1500 max. I wouldn't pay any more than that for it anyway.

I'm hoping I can drive up there and pick it up this weekend or next but we'll see if he calls me back.

I tried calling him yesterday and will try again today, then just play the waiting game.

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yeah, and when I go pick up the monster amount of women for our new pledge's pledge swaps, they will all pile in that, courtesy of a ladder haha.

-rockstate

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it seems as if he does not want to sell it. I've been trying to get a hold of him for about 4 days now to make an offer and he hasn't called me back.

Dunno why not, you'd think at least he'd call me back by now to give me word of whether or not he wants to sell it.

It's prolly not a good time anyway to take on an expense such as that anyway.

-rockstate

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Well, back up for sale WITH a price of $1600.

-rockstate
I still say don't go over $1400.

If you drive the truck, and it seems to pull to the right or left for no apparent reason (not a constant pull), the bearings and races could be shot. Its an easy fix, just needs a puller and some dirty hands to fix it.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
Now you're getting close. Don't rush this thing, but don't let it wait too long either. Sort of like a few situations I recall. . .

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

I wish that I could buy an inexpensive Home Depot truck like this. At about $1,200.00 to $1,500.00 (if it runs decently) it would be a good deal for me.

SOS

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay guys, here are some more pics of it:

He'll take 1500 before friday. I might offer him 9-1000 Thursday night

-rockstate

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Okay guys, here are some more pics of it:

He'll take 1500 before friday. I might offer him 9-1000 Thursday night

-rockstate

After seeing those last photos .. I would probably price it at $900.00 (if it runs good).

·
Premium Member
11,634 Posts
Jump in, start it up, then put your foot on the brake and hold it there.

I'd be willing to bet it will eventually sink to the floor, then make the low ball offer.

The master cylinder in those things were always bad.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts