Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi members,

Recently a tree fell on my truck and it was deemed total through AAA. They paid out and I bought back the truck. From your experience is this truck worth rebuilding or even parting out? Should I just try to sell the truck as a whole and how much do you think it is worth in the condition it is in? I was thinking around $2,900. This was once a very clean car, the headlights still look brand new.

Thanks

Here are the specs:

2003 White Toyota Tundra SR5 Access CAB 4D

Mileage: 47,446
Engine: V8 4.7 Liter
Transmission: Automatic
Drivetrain: 2WD

Standard: Air Conditioning AM/FM Stereo ABS (4-Wheel) Power Steering Single Compact Disc Tilt Wheel Dual Front Air Bags

Optional: TRD Sports Pkg Cassette Winch Power Windows Sliding Rear Window Premium Wheels Power Door Locks Running Boards Cruise Control Bed Liner

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,561 Posts
With the exposure here, you'll probably be able to part the thing out for quite a bit more than that. You'll have guys wanting the engine, transmission, wheels, bumpers, seats, you name it.

Good luck.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Being 2WD I think getting 2900.00 is a major strech. The motor,tranny and bed are you main money makers. IMO rebuilding it would not be a option.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I would agree with the part out being where the money is, rebuilding a truck damaged that badly has the inevitable pitfall of the truck "never being the same" weird noises/rattles/water leaks funny tire wear or handling issues, not to say there are not shops that could rebuild it and have it come out 100%, I know there are but the cost would be high. If you have the option of keeping it around while it's parted out I know you will come out well in the end. Scott

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
The frame is bent, which means it would cost a TON to get it fixed.

My recommendation would be to take your time and part it out.

Depending on the mileage, the engine and transmission are a great start and the bed can be made into a trailer. The bumpers are always in demand, along with spare tire and other miscellaneous parts.

Good luck to ya !

·
Registered
568 Posts
Sorry about your bad luck. Dont try to rebuild it, unless you are building a race truck. I desperatly want to build a white 03 tundra trailer. had the ability when i sold the bed off my 00, but i didnt even think about it. I would buy your wheels for sure.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
2900 will take time to get imho. tranny+ engine will be 1500$ max combined. Bed, rear bumper, ECU, wheels. If you got time , but those $2900 will take quite some time to collect. I would do it if i had spare garage to keep it in. But it takes time and tools to take thing apart. Depends how much it cost you to buy it back the $2900 cash in hand might be a good thing.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
Hey John. I'm very sorry to hear about the truck. Like others have said don't rebuild it. I would list the truck on Craigslist and also list the truck on here and I'm sure members would be willing to purchase truck parts off of you.

Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. I didn't think it would be worth fixing either. Someone in the family wanted to try that route. If it only cost $5,000 to fix would that be practical? Keep in mind that it would need to be fancy, just a reliable enough truck for using to haul stuff and around town.

As of right now I have many offers for the truck, as low as $1,500 all the way to $2,500. I don't think I want to do that parting out route since I don't have the time for that and I don't like something setting at my house for that long. Time and space = $$$

I found a used 2005 (Model 06) Double Cab Prerunner Silver Tacoma V6 with 38,000 miles for $15000, but I might be able to get it for $13,000. There is no tow package or TRD sports package. Do you think this would be a good buy if I got it for $13,000? Not a big fan of silver color but if the price is good thats fine. This is not my daily driver. Just a truck to use to haul stuff around and tow a trailer here and there. I really wanted a 4x4 this time around but since I don't go off road really or to the dunes much I shouldn't need to pay extra for the feature?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
what did u have to pay the insurance as salvage value? id say if u can get at least that u are doing good. theres no money in selling the truck outright as u have found...unless u have a serious person wanting to pay 2500 for it. u can part it out but its not going to be a fast recovery. should have just left it with the insurance company and let them deal with it IMO

·
Registered
917 Posts
Since you mention towing I would get another tundra. The tacoma holds its value very well so you can probably das well or better with a used tundra.

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
what's wierd is my 03 sr5 4x4 trd has the cup holders in the rear of the center console?!?!?!?!
Do you have captains' chairs?

JohnGibson's truck has a benchseat with a folding center console. As far as I know, all benchseat center consoles are configured the same way (including mine).

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I didn't think it would be worth fixing either. Someone in the family wanted to try that route. If it only cost $5,000 to fix would that be practical? Keep in mind that it would need to be fancy, just a reliable enough truck for using to haul stuff and around town.

As of right now I have many offers for the truck, as low as $1,500 all the way to $2,500. I don't think I want to do that parting out route since I don't have the time for that and I don't like something setting at my house for that long. Time and space = $$$

I found a used 2005 (Model 06) Double Cab Prerunner Silver Tacoma V6 with 38,000 miles for $15000, but I might be able to get it for $13,000. There is no tow package or TRD sports package. Do you think this would be a good buy if I got it for $13,000? Not a big fan of silver color but if the price is good thats fine. This is not my daily driver. Just a truck to use to haul stuff around and tow a trailer here and there. I really wanted a 4x4 this time around but since I don't go off road really or to the dunes much I shouldn't need to pay extra for the feature?

But how much did you pay insurance for it?

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi is that a s/c on it???
you can get the parts to rebuild it.
you have no miles.
you can never replace that tundra with those miles.
i have a place for all your parts. LKQ corp on line salvage.
and that year you can put a s/c on it.
rebuild it.
most frames can be fixed.
so what you have a savage title.
as long as you get it on the road.
my .02 cents.
parting it out could take you years.
and the time.
put it back together, & drive it or sell it.
gorilla

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
hi i bet you can find a body guy, on his off time, that would fix it for you, for 1/3 of what a shop would cost you.
go for it. only you know if she's worth it. that is why i assume you bought her back. i would do the same , if it was my tundra.
gorilla

·
Registered
917 Posts
hi is that a s/c on it???
you can get the parts to rebuild it.
you have no miles.
you can never replace that tundra with those miles.
i have a place for all your parts. LKQ corp on line salvage.
and that year you can put a s/c on it.
rebuild it.
most frames can be fixed.
so what you have a savage title.
as long as you get it on the road.
my .02 cents.
parting it out could take you years.
and the time.
put it back together, & drive it or sell it.
gorilla
The numbers dont work Gorilla he needs a complete cab + rad. and most likely A/C components. Frame work and maybe some front end work. We are talking about a 2WD Access cab non limited. He will spend more than it is worth. He has the right idea to sell it and move on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts