Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to haul some natural stone in a few days. I have a 2.5 readlift...20's.. and nitto 305/55/20..Will my payload be any diff than a stock truck. How much weight can we carry in our beds again. The stones will weigh about 2000-3000 pounds. Will I be ok?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well, there's what the truck is rated for.. and then what owners have seen. Also, how far are you going?

I think guys have had over 2k without hitting the bump stops, but someone will chime in on that. I know I miscalculated when i was picking up some shingles and had a few too many packs in the back.. whoops. My little 4.7 handled it like a champ, didn't even hit the stops.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Stock payload on your truck is 1500-1600 pounds (1560 per the spec)
Without overload springs or air bags...you are pushing it and asking for trouble.
Personally, I'd rent or borrow a trailer to do what you are asking.

There's been a few of us who have pushed it to the limits, myself in particular...
I had Lowes load a pallet of retaining wall block (about 3000 lbs), I promptly had them remove it within seconds. The axle and springs were on the stops and the stock tires looked ready to pop. I went back and got our delivery truck...It's just a 1/2 ton truck people...really!!!

Rent or borrow a trailer.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
500 lbs over the specs, are you kidding me? If the truck was only going to be driven less than 5 miles to home from the depot, 2000 pounds would be fine! Just give himself a lot of room to brake, but that is about it. ;)

Mxsjw, you might be worrying a tad too much -- he just needs the right tires for the payload and ensure they are aired up correctly!

Sanosuke!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Stock payload on your truck is 1500-1600 pounds (1560 per the spec)
Without overload springs or air bags...you are pushing it and asking for trouble.
Personally, I'd rent or borrow a trailer to do what you are asking.

There's been a few of us who have pushed it to the limits, myself in particular...
I had Lowes load a pallet of retaining wall block (about 3000 lbs), I promptly had them remove it within seconds. The axle and springs were on the stops and the stock tires looked ready to pop. I went back and got our delivery truck...It's just a 1/2 ton truck people...really!!!

Rent or borrow a trailer.

Agreed. It's not worth risking it. Yes, you could probably get away with it, buy why!? Make two trips or get a trailer.

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Mxsjw, you might be worrying a tad too much -- he just needs the right tires for the payload and ensure they are aired up correctly!

Sanosuke!
I don't think I'm worrying too much, 2000 pounds is one thing...I load that all the time, and so do a bunch of us.
But, 3000 pounds is entirely different and where is the break point. I mean is 2200 ok?, how about 2500?

Simple fact remains, the truck is not designed to carry what a 1 ton can.

So which is it Bill? Can you get the quarry to give you the exact weights?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I just did a load of Slate on Saturday. Total weight of the crate came in at just over 2K lbs . Truck did AWESOME! Didn't hit the bump stops and drove well. Total drive was about 30 miles and besides taking longer to brake (didn't want the crate to slide and hit the front of the bed) the truck did awesome.
My bro had to pick up the other half of the load in his '04 D-cab and he had about 1800 lbs of slate in his bed and he was on the bump stops. But his truck handled the load just fine too. Didn't hurt anything.

Should have taken pic's...but it didn't squat my truck too bad at all.

You'll be fine. Let it work.

·
Don't argue with an insomniac.
5,568 Posts
I need to haul some natural stone in a few days. I have a 2.5 readlift...20's.. and nitto 305/55/20..Will my payload be any diff than a stock truck. How much weight can we carry in our beds again. The stones will weigh about 2000-3000 pounds. Will I be ok?
Although I might be known for pushing the limits of this truck (or infamous, as the case may be), I'd hesitate to put more than 1,500 lbs in the back of the truck the way you have it set up.

I have two reasons for saying this.

1: readylift may in fact reduce your effective payload. Adding air bags would mitigate this, however. You could do so for a few hundred bucks.

2: The tires are not going to take it. They're thin sidewall, performance tires, not designed to carry heavy weights. Check what they are capable of before loading up.

You may be fine, but realize that this truck's abilities to haul are not matched by the rated load, and if you modify it for hauling that's one thing: you've done the opposite.:bolt:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Although I might be known for pushing the limits of this truck (or infamous, as the case may be), I'd hesitate to put more than 1,500 lbs in the back of the truck the way you have it set up.

I have two reasons for saying this.

1: readylift may in fact reduce your effective payload. Adding air bags would mitigate this, however. You could do so for a few hundred bucks.

2: The tires are not going to take it. They're thin sidewall, performance tires, not designed to carry heavy weights. Check what they are capable of before loading up.

You may be fine, but realize that this truck's abilities to haul are not matched by the rated load, and if you modify it for hauling that's one thing: you've done the opposite.:bolt:
my tires are all terrains. Ok so most guys say dont put more than 2k. Ill make 2 trips. About a 15 min drive

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
Take some pictures :) We seem to have very few pictures of our Tundras actually loaded to their limits.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
my tires are all terrains. Ok so most guys say dont put more than 2k. Ill make 2 trips. About a 15 min drive
My nittos are the terra grapplers as well. I believe they have an XL or extra load rating.....not sure how it compares to an E rating, less obviously but more than the stock tires..... Perhaps someone will chime in with a weight rating for an XL tire....

Edit: 3086 lbs at 50 p.s.i. is allowed by the xl in the o.p. tire size.....

·
Registered
347 Posts
I routinely haul a 1 ton pallet of gain 50 miles, but the pallet is pushed up as close to the cab as possible.
If I were to stack the bags evenly in the bed, then I will hit the bump stops when I hit even small bumps or cross bridges.
Load placement is key when hauling heavy.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
so when I do this I should have my tires at 50 psi?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts