Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this done at the dealer at approx. 60,000 miles at a cost of over $200. The truck now has about 101,500 miles. I plan on running this truck for many more years to come. I'm trying to see how many miles I can go without having to have major repairs done to the drivetrain. I keep up with all the scheduled maintenance (oil changes, diff fluid changes etc.) I've run synthetic in it since the truck had 2200 miles on it. I've used Mobil 1 and Royal Purple for numerous changes and Castrol Syntec once. I do parts deliveries for a Dodge dealership in my truck as an independent contractor and I've been using Amsoil for the past several changes since I get it through them for around $4-5 a quart. The longest I've gone between an oil change is 8,000 miles and that was with Amsoil. I usually go between 5,000-7,000.

Anyways, back to the original question... just to trying to get an idea of who on here believes in Toyota's "lifetime" tranny fluid and who has their's flushed completely or at least a drain and fill and at what mileage intervals.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I had my transmission flushed and filled by my dealer not long ago, 100,000 miles/7-years. $160-a dealer special back in March.

My transmission shifted well before and shifts well after. I've got a 2004 and every now and then tow my 6,000lb boat. I had towed it from FL-MA back in 2007 when it had about 56,000 miles on it and the transmission has been perfect ever since.

I noticed the fluid was still nice and pink before the change and it was even clearer/pinker afterwards.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
i just saw my tranny temp go to 190 while 4x4ing at low speeds in baja. as soon as i got back i drained and refilled 4 quarts of castrol high mileage ATF. it was dark (compared to the juice that went back in!), although it was changed 20k ago. i plan to change 4 quarts every other week until i put in 16 quarts, maybe 20. next 25k i'll pull the pan and change the filter, too!

it's funny how the dipstick says there is no need to change the fluid. but check the owners manual for instructions on how to change?....?.....?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I do my oil changes at 10K intervals and also drain/add 4 qts of tranny fluid. UNTIL YESTERDAY, looks like the plug and/or the pan is stripped by the idiot who did it the last time (that would be moi). Now the plug will not unscrew, it does not leak so I wont push it, looking for a new pan to replace the old one. I was very carefull installing that tranny oil plug, but I guess it is made of a softer materrial than the engine pan/plug and after 200k miles it got stripped.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If you have not been towing heavy loads i would think 50 to 60 K would be sufficient for WS ATF since it is a Synthetic Mobil 1 product and anyone that believes WS ATF is lifetime must be a dealer becasue Toyota reccomends different intervals/uses! If you think any ATF can last 100K + you are depending on a fluid to do way more than it was designed to do! I am getting ready to do my 50K service and will do ATF,Plugs & Coolant becasue NM has conditions every day you turn the key and for the price of a new motor or transmission it's probably a no brainer to do it on a 50K cycle for me! But i like to do stuff the proactive way and not wait till things tear up to go i guess i should have changed the fluid and plugs! First i must get home from the Philippines where i have been for the past 30 days and i thought NM was HOT= WRONG!

·
Registered
657 Posts
My '03 Tundra V8/Automatic/2wd purchased new is babied. Seven years old and 57,000 miles. I asked the service rep and he showed me a small sample bottle of trans fluid bright red in color. He said if it stays this color don't change the fluid. Mine is red.
So maybe I'll wait 'till 100,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
I have my transmission flushed by my dealer every 40,000 miles. This may seem a little anal to some but it definitely makes a difference from 2nd to 3rd gear shift I think. I pay $130 I don't know if the transmission fluid was ever changed. I need to check on that.

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
next 25k i'll pull the pan and change the filter, too!
You may not need to change the filter. Before I pulled the pan on mine I went to
the dealer to buy a filter. The guy at the desk asked me why I needed one
and I told him because I was draining the transmission pan and dropping it and
wanted to change it. He said he couldn't think of a time where the dealership has
changed one of the filters and that they usually just clean the one there. It's
bolted in and is a metal screen material.

I dropped the pan and took the filter out and checked it out and there were no
problems. Cleaned it up and put it back in and haven't had a problem with it.

John

·
Registered
124 Posts
Same here w/ the trans filter. @ 60k miles, my A/T filter was so clean, I just put it back in, and returned the new one I bought. There was a trace of black residue at the bottom of the pan, which I just wiped clean.

I bought a 5 gal bucket of Redline D4 ATF to Flush out old T4 fluid. I used 16qts Redline D4 ATF, & installed an inline filter after the trans cooler. Old T4 fluid looked dark and smelly. Truck's now got 10k miles on D4 ATF, some of those miles were put to the test pulling a 5500lb Toyhauler. :beavbutt:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts