Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is aimed at describing how I dissembled the turn signals and painted the housing black. I'm sure there are other ways, but this is the way I did it. The side markers are different from the headlights in that they are plastic, meaning you canNOT put them in the oven or they will melt and you will be very angry. To be safe, I bought an extra pair of turn signals, plus the new lens makes it look even better. As far as materials, you'll need:

Someone to help
Dremel Saw
1" Diamond Tip Drill Bit (cuts the best, you can substitute another 1" bit)
-Needs to be about an inch diameter or you may have trouble getting all the way through the plastic housing
Razor Blade
Philips-head and Flat-head Screwdriver
Sand Paper (I used 60 grit for plastic and 220, 400, and 1000 grit for lenses in that order)
Plastic Primer
Paint (I chose black, others may want something different)
Plastic Bag (for storing small parts)
Silver Sharpie
2 Turn Signals
Patience

Start off with the turn signal. I didn't mark my path to cut, but its probably a good idea to sit down with a silver sharpie and mark where you want to cut. You have to be careful on this part as you want to cut plastic, not the lens, but its best to stay as close to the lens as possible. Otherwise, part of the reflector housing will be attached to the lens and it will be impossible to paint that part black. I cut about 1/3" away from the edge all the way around except for the side with the big mounting tab (where the headlights and turn signals clip in). On that part, you have to more a little closer in, about 1/2" from the edge. It's not an exact science, just use your common sense and be aware of how deep you are cutting and how close you are to the lens.

Ok, now you can start cutting. It's best to have a friend, brother, dad, etc. hold the assembly still while you cut. Carefully cut along your line, stopping periodically to scrape off plastic buildup. As the saw goes through, the friction heats up the plastic near the cut. If you don't scrape it off, it basically just rewelds back together. Take it slow. Get it right, not right now. Its not difficult, it just takes a lot of care and patience to make sure you don't mess up a $35 turn signal! This takes a little while and you have to keep checking to make sure the saw is cutting all the way through (you will see the lens through the crack when its gone all the way through). Once you make it all the way around, use the razor blade to check the cut all the way around and pop the lens and housing apart with the screwdriver.

IMG_0599.jpg

Once apart, the hard part is over. You will see a screw inside; unscrew it. For me, getting the plastic lens out was really hard, but its just little plastic clips. If you have trouble wiggling it out, grab some needle nose pliers, and remove the white caps on the back of the housing. That gives you better access to the clips. It took, me like ten minutes to take care of this part, mine were stubborn.

IMG_0604.jpg
IMG_0610.jpg

Once everything is dissembled, I put everything in a plastic bag to keep from losing anything. Next I roughed up the reflector housing using 220, 400, and 1000 grit sandpaper.

IMG_0620.jpg

Now that its ready for primer, you have to do what, personally, is one of the most important parts to remember of the whole ordeal. Get some cardboard or a napkin, stick the little screw through it, and PAINT THE HEAD OF THE SCREW BLACK. I'm a perfectionist, and I couldn't possibly drive my car knowing there is a silver screw in the blacked out housing, but that may just be a personal thing. This is where I am now. I just picked up some Rustoleum Plastic Primer and All-Surface Gloss Black paint, headed outside to start now. Hopefully the pics go through. Leave any questions on anything I left out. :tu:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely, looking pretty clean so far. Primed the first one, waiting to paint for the morning. Also opening the other one up in the morning. Went ahead and put one shade of lens tint on the orange part to throw a slightly darker shade of orange (hopefully). Will put up more pictures later and hopefully a finished product tomorrow night. Truck is in the body shop getting a new front fender and paint job so I won't be able to throw them on for a little while but I'll hopefully seal one back up tomorrow or Monday evening. Also painting a tool box I got for free and lightly tinting a third brake light. Some more sweet black out mods lol

·
Registered
739 Posts
great job so far :becky: great write up :thumb: waiting for pics of finshed bclm on your truck :beavbutt:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks jjjackies, I let the primer dry overnight, headed out to paint now! More pictures to come on how I painted it, then pics of it on the truck possibly Tuesday!

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
Something suggests that I'll likely get slammed for asking this, but ... why do want black turn signals? Aren't turn signals there to be seen?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's a fine question, everything else on the truck is going black, including retrofitted projector headlights with black housing. Without these black, it would be the only chrome part of the truck. Don't worry, I'll still be seen. Got some new LED blinker bulbs from V-LEDS.com: 80 radial firing amber led lights and 12 forward firing ones. I just despise the look of the housing. :tu:

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
clockhart10 everybody is waiting for pics, me as well. Wondering what the look gonna be like. Are you gonna tint the lens of turn signal form inside or just the orange marker.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some preliminary shots.

Primed

IMG_0622.jpg

Painted

IMG_0640.jpg

On the lenses I taped off everything except the orange part and swept on one light coat of rustoleum lens tint. I don't want it dark and I wasn't going for a black out, just wanted it closer to amber than radiant orange. I did it from the outside. Finished it off with two light, sweeping coats of gloss protective enamel.

Lens side by sides -- left lens tinted, right lens not yet tinted

IMG_0634.jpg
IMG_0632.jpg

Hopefully those pics went in the right place, I have no clue haha. This evening I'll apply the gloss coats to the now black reflector housings and take a few shots of what it looks like through the lens. Getting excited, happy with it so far. Took apart the other one this morning as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, the housing is still pretty reflective (picture two above, the sheen across the top). It will decrease visibility but it won't absolutely ruin it. Also, trying to decide if I want/need to put the little plastic lens back inside. Not sure what its purpose is or if that would affect anything if I left it out.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Points sent! That's pretty sick, stop giving me ideas! I like the light coat on the lens, it's subtle but looks good. Sometimes the subtle mods are the best, they make you stop to look and wonder what's different. Keep it coming, by the way, did you get very angry about the oven thing? Sounded like experience! :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks tundrunk, and yes, you are exactly right! The subtle stuff makes people realize there's a difference, but how did he get it like that? I love those haha. And no I got lucky on the oven because I researched it pretty extensively, but I know maaany others have wanted to pull there hair out lol. Just looking out for those who may be decieved by thinking its just like the head lamp. So far its worth the time, I'd recommend it, especially since you have a black truck :cool:

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
My truck is darker than the pic in my sig, I've done a few changes since then but can't release the pictures yet. It's TOP SECRET! Your mod is on my brain though, and knowing how that works it is likely to get on my list of things to do! It's useless to fight some ideas!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh I know exactly what you mean. I'll be uploading some pictures of mine as well -- I'm in the same boat, recently did lots of mods (in my sig), but haven't released any pictures yet. Let me know if you decide to go through with this one, I'll give you support if needed!

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
clockhart10 when you will get the truck back from the shop - darn come on do the retrofit faster, wanna see the sick look of tinted corners and your HID retro. I might put some tint on it, but don't want it to start peeling and not being able to remove the tint if it comes out crappy. The other concern isnt it DOT illegal? Its illegal to change any part of headlight system, but since i have retrofit done i guess i'm in a $hit anyway if anything :D Might just pull the saw out and do it this weekend just to let steam of :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha well optimistically Friday, but it may be next week. :-( Should be by next Wednesday at latest and I'll throw the lights on then. It should look pretty awesome! Ehhh, I guess its illegal, but I usually keep my daytime run lights on so they probably won't be able to tell. The good thing about the lenses is that you can sand off the tint and start over if you want. I'm about to do that because when I tried to match I added a little more than I wanted. I don't want it easily noticeable, just a shade darker. I don't like the bright orange! Break out the Dremel saw! Relieves tons of stress! Pictures of sealed turn signals to come tomorrow after I grab some rubber gasket to help seal them completely

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Why not just epoxy them together and seal up with red RTV?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well some of the corners and parts don't fit like a puzzle piece, so I'm going to epoxy first and then go around it with some rubber gasket and a razor to make it nice and pretty again (ideally). I'm also super paranoid about leaking headlight components and so I'm going to make sure it seals. Overkill but it makes me happy haha.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
RTV seals the hell out of everything its just red but cheap and not visible. I might get to it on weekend if i don't work :D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice! Share some pics and let me know if you run into any problems or questions! I'll have to check that out, never used it before. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts