Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
She will pass anything on the road, except a gas station...

I have Goldy getting at least 16 in town and maybe 19.5 on the interstate. I don't run it hard.

I'm thinking there may be some potential in the air intake?

I have a good differential for sale - $400, picked up in west central Indiana. Shoot me a PM?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Looking up pretty much nailed it. You cant buy a large vehicle and expect to see good mileage, it just doesnt work. My trip average on my truck right now says 11MPG's. Hows the looking compared to yours?
And the civic is probably just as safe as a Sequoia.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looking up pretty much nailed it. You cant buy a large vehicle and expect to see good mileage, it just doesnt work. My trip average on my truck right now says 11MPG's. Hows the looking compared to yours?
And the civic is probably just as safe as a Sequoia.
If mine got 11 mpg I would never have put the time and money into it!

Install a set of Bosch double irridium thin-wire plugs.

Get a bottle of gumout regain high-mileage fuel injector cleaner (walmart). Use it with the gas gauge at about 5/8 tank. Run it until the fuel light comes on.

Change your PCV valve.

Clean your MAF sensor and inside your throttle body.

Change your 2 front O2 sensors.

Use GREASED LIGHTNING teflon treatment and shell rotella T dino oil (15w40).

Into a 16 ounce plastic bottle pour some acetone. Put 3 heaping teaspoons of naphthalene (moth flakes) in the funnel you use. The acetone walmart sells as nail polish remover is perfect and it is already in a 16 oz bottle. Then pour 2.5 fl oz of the mixture into each 10 gallons of gas you buy.

That is how I get ~16 in mixed (normal) driving and ~ 19 out running the interstate.

Now I'm looking for someone that can tell ME how I can make my goal of 20 MPG?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well that's fast. I live on an Island with a top speed of 45mph, mostly 25-35 is it. My moped is modified and does 45 mph with original head. I can boost it up to 80cc or 100cc, and I don't need a motorcycle license. Yea, so I bought one for my wife, and she still has not driven it in 2 years. Always wear a helmet. We have a no helmet law, but screw that. People in cars are nuts these days. I think my Tundra is not too bad on gas despite being a 4.7 V8, as long as I go easy on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I live next to Newport, RI, no being alone around here. At least you have space out there. I have been fishing on 11 mile Res, Blue Mesa Res and Peublo Res. up Pikes peek, down Gunbarrel Road and through the Garden of the Gods out to Grand Junction. (That's were Alcan Springs is Located.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just traded a guy some R.I plates for his Colorado plates. He was from Coal Creek. I have family out there also, I love it out there and hope to make more trips as I get older.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I mirror your numbers of 14 city 19~ on the highway. These are things I've done to try and improve economy. Non-ethanol gas that might give you some fuel economy, at least some more bang for your buck! I run a fuel injector cleaner through every month or two. I've cleaned the throttle body. Run synthetic oil. Check the air filter regularly. My plugs are new-ish. I have a vapor leak coming from the fill hose and cap, and I intend to replace the fuel filter when I address that. I've taken out the third row (Superleggera baby!). Oddly, replacing my stolen cat with a new one improved engine performance. I also have 300K+ miles, so that will skew numbers a tad too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is way to improve your gas mileage dramatically...........but I haven't tried it because I fear for my life. Watch the Documentary, "Gashole" and you will see. I'm convinced it works. I think it's on Netflix.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
My truck is only 8 years old, has about 54k miles on it and mileage has been about the same since new. Got about the same mileage on my 05 Tundra as well and just about every other truck I've owned before that as well. Yes, highway miles I get way better too but the point is your driving a 6000 pound 4wd pig so you cant expect to get the same mileage from that as you would a smaller vehicle, it just doesnt happen. If it did the manufacturers would already be doing it because that would be a huge selling feature.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I mirror your numbers of 14 city 19~ on the highway. These are things I've done to try and improve economy. Non-ethanol gas that might give you some fuel economy, at least some more bang for your buck! I run a fuel injector cleaner through every month or two. I've cleaned the throttle body. Run synthetic oil. Check the air filter regularly. My plugs are new-ish. I have a vapor leak coming from the fill hose and cap, and I intend to replace the fuel filter when I address that. I've taken out the third row (Superleggera baby!). Oddly, replacing my stolen cat with a new one improved engine performance. I also have 300K+ miles, so that will skew numbers a tad too.
Find places that have no corn in their gas here: Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Around here there is only one source of "pure" gas. Maybe that's why it's cost more than eliminates whatever benefits it may provide. Some places, like South Carolina, have stations all over the place selling no corn gas.

... but is it pure? Methinks not. There are other things that can be put into fuel that accomplish the "oxygenation" that is required before fuel can be sold in this country. And this may well be your classic "6 of one, a half-dozen of the other" scenario.

My involvement with no-corn gas centers around motorcycles. I had a Harley that demanded premium fuel. That's the reason someone else has it, now. I tried 90 octane no-corn gas in it. Mileage was not effected. The motor ran very sweet and seemingly cooler but the performance decreased. The same result with my current YammerHammer FJR. (At least it runs on regular.) The degradation of performance is even more pronounced in the FJR.

Having said all that - there is no doubt of the FACT that alcohol does not, and CAN NOT burn inside a motor timed for gasoline. That is a chemical impossibility! The larger and more complex molecule that is alcohol needs more time to break down before it combines with oxygen. So ignition timing advance must be doubled to burn alcohol.

If you research this online you will find a very carefully crafted web of disinformation. We live in a world where money talks, and bullshit walks. So, what else is new?

Anyone who has looked under a sequoia and has a clue about motors sees a ton of potential for making more power. The exhaust pipes are downright dinky! And the way they join is as bogus as it gets. But the thing has more mojo than is really safe, for something that size, right now and the [email protected]#$%^&*!! electronics remove any chances for fun. Along with about half the stopping power of the brakes.

Here we have a motor, born to breathe, then hamstrung by clunky intake piping and choked by minuscule exhausts. Doing what I would like to do WILL NOT improve fuel mileage and just might get me hurt, or killed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is way to improve your gas mileage dramatically...........but I haven't tried it because I fear for my life. Watch the Documentary, "Gashole" and you will see. I'm convinced it works. I think it's on Netflix.
Well, excuse me, but I am not convinced it works. You can find people peering sincerely into a camera and saying almost anything! You can find movies of bigfoot, out for an evening stroal. Why, then, have skeletal remains of the big guy never been found? And little green men? Not even going there... Oh, and did you know that if you put your used razor blades in the bottom of a pyramid...

In this case there is, quite simply, not enough energy "stored" in gasoline to move a car 200 miles, on a single gallon.

That video - wow! First thing it says is only vapor burns. Then it says that by converting All the fuel to vapor, you can get 200 miles per gallon. Let's say your car gets 20 mpg. That's 20 percent of 100 mpg. What happens to the other 80 percent? Where does it go?

"Water injection" kits are available on ebay: SNO-320 Snow Performance Stage 3 Direct Injection Progressive Water Methanol kit | eBay

This is simple - it effectively increases octane (slows the burn rate of the fuel) allowing more compression and it cleans the combustion chamber, removing the red-hot deposits that contribute to ping and detonation. All of which will ACCOMPLISH NOTHING in your stock motor.

Do you get better mileage when you drive in rain? No - you get less mileage. Sadly, there is no free lunch.

"Vapor" is droplets, suspended in air. Droplets so small they are not visible. In the days of carburetors there was some potential for improved mileage because the droplets were too big to be burned completely in the short time the fuel is in the cylinder. With modern fuel injection, when it works right, the droplets are much smaller.

Acetone breaks down the surface tension of the fuel. causing the droplets to be even smaller. Today the advantage offered by acetone is much less, due to the fuel injection.

·
Registered
83 Posts
How many American V8's have you driven? I wouldn't quite call the Tundra a gas hog. (at least the 4.7) When I first drove my 2000 tundra I thought it was incredible on gas for a V8. Pedal to the Metal, not so much, go easy on it.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Lots. Mostly Fords and some Chevy's. Been driving pick ups most of my life. I think the Tundra's are more thirsty than domestics but I dont buy any 4x4 truck with the expectation its going to be good on gas. In my case I have a very short drive to work and its still pretty cold out right now so its still running pretty rich all the way to work, hence the crap mileage right now but I'm not surprised by it in anyway.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts