Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum. Glad I found it...lots of great information.

How do I change the fuel filter in my '02, 4.7L, V8 Tundra? I'm reasonably mechanical, but I have worked on older vehicles...not as much computer control and all.

My truck has ~44k miles, and I have never changed the fuel filter. It sat parked for most of a year in 2004, so I know it's due. I think I found the filter in the rear, by the spare tire. Is this the right? Is it important to releive the fuel pressure before changing the filters? If so, how do I do this?

Also, can anyone comment on the effect of an old, maybe partially clogged, fuel filter on gas milage? The engine performance is fine, but I have noticed a drop in milage over the past months...from about 16 mpg around town to 13-14 mpg?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mine is under the driver side door. As far as I know 2000-2003 they were all in the same spot, under the diver side door. You really do not need to change it that soon. My dealership says to change it at 150k or some of the guys say never. I have a friend who works for Ford and they are instructed to change them at 90k. My truck is coming up to 90k and I have yet to replace the filter. I will proabley do it after the timing belt/water pump service. As for the MPG you might want to make sure the fuel that was left in the tank for a year is still good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts