Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my engine bay is pretty filthy and it needs to be cleaned. I know the old saying watch out for electronics and don't do it with the engine hot or it'll crack the block.

What product do you use on the engine? How do you guys do it?

-rockstate

·
Registered
520 Posts
I usually pick up a couple of products at Advance or Auto Zone - Gunk Foaming Engine Cleaner for cleaning (usually on very dirty engine bays) and CD2 Engine Detailer for dressing. I think most any mild degreaser will work as long as the bay isn't too dirty. I also have an assortment of brushes and microfibers I use to try and reach any areas that aren't coming clean with just a degreaser and light spray.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I use Simple Green....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Simple Green and a toothbrush...

·
Registered
108 Posts
For all the rubber stuff, I spray Beech White tire cleaner on them, let set for 10 or 15 sec, and spray off. Makes them look new again. Just don't let it sit long on any aluminum or metals though.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys hose off too?

My engine's pretty dirty, so I'll hose, simple green, scrub, hose again? What bout the block?

-rockstate

·
Registered
401 Posts
Do you guys hose off too?

My engine's pretty dirty, so I'll hose, simple green, scrub, hose again? What bout the block?

-rockstate
I rinse as little as possible. Spray... brush... rinse. I don't get too crazy on the block.

·
NASH
3,634 Posts
I just hose off whatever is needed. i normally wash my truck when the engine is cold, so no worry on cracked blocks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, don't do this to a hot engine. Warm is ok...but not hot. And don't be scared to use the hose. Everything under the hood is (or should be anyway) water tight. If worried about a particular area, use aluminum foil to cover it. I wouldn't use a pressure washer, but a hose is fine. I mist the entire engine bay with water first, then I spray it with a degreaser (I use Blue Thunder...a Distrinctive Details product). I think it's pretty similar to Simple Green. Many of these types of cleaner/degreaser products are concentrated and need to be cut by at least 4:1 with water (1 part SG, 4 parts water in a spray bottle). Spray on...let is sit...agitate the really grungy areas with a stiff bristle brush, athen thoroughly rinse with the hose. Then I give the whole engine bay a good blow with a lawn/leaf blower to remove the pooled water from all the crevices. Once completely dry, I mist everything very lightly with a solvent based dressing (I use blue dressing..another Distinctive Details product). Be sure to blot up any dressing drips with a paper towel. This makes the engine bay look like brand spankin' new. And no, I don't represent Distinctive Details products....that's just the brand of detailing product I use. I used to use Car-Brite products (Blu-Max degreaser, and Super-Kote dressing), but my supplier switched to Distinctive Details...so that's what I use now. Oh yeah, one thing to note about solvent based dressings....they eat spray bottles. So, it's best to empty/clean out the bottle after each use....unless of course you like buying new ones time!

Cheers, Toolman_Johnny

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
i'll go against the majority here.....i've cleaned the engine compartment of every car ive ever owned at the carwash at least once or twice...(usually i will do it with some simple green and a garden hose..but really if u dont let it get dirty then all it takes is a rinse. just dont drown the alternator. the rest is pretty much fine)

as for high pressure carwashes, never had an issue. tons of people do it all the time there and you dont see a line of cars with busted blocks...heck, when you drive through a water puddle water will splash up on a hot motor and not cause issues. i just go to town with the pressure washer, especially if i went off roading. doesnt hurt a thing. dont spray directly at a radiator or AC condensor etc because it will bend the fins or could tear the aluminum but a low pressure rinse wont hurt. if its really dirty just drive to a car wash and go to town. dealerships do it all the time on used cars etc...heck most of the time the detail guys i worked with before would leave the car running the whole time....service guys would too to clean up after busted power steering hoses or oil leaks etc. again, wont hurt nothing. u arent using ice cold water on an overheated block...normal operating temps and normal water temps are jsut fine.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
My concern with washing the engine bay is those air injection pumps.

Aside from that, covering the alternator and starter should suffice. I wouldn't use any of the acidic/citrus based cleaners - If that stuff gets into any bolt or screw threads, it can cause quite a few problems down the road when things need to be taken apart.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
My concern with washing the engine bay is those air injection pumps.

Aside from that, covering the alternator and starter should suffice. I wouldn't use any of the acidic/citrus based cleaners - If that stuff gets into any bolt or screw threads, it can cause quite a few problems down the road when things need to be taken apart.
thumb, that is a very good concern with these trucks i guess...never thought about it too much but the way they crap out...good point....

·
Registered
520 Posts
While I am not someone who advocates doom and gloom for using Simple Green for automobile cleaning purposes, it should be used with a lot of cation on uncoated metals, especially aluminum. From the SG website:

... caution and common sense must be used: aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times for unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green® product residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

FWIW, SG makes a different product that is "safer" for aluminum. I believe it is Simple Green Pro HD.

Again, not trying to tell anyone they're wrong, just trying to spread a word of caution. Any cleaner used inappropriately can cause damage.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd bet something like S100 cycle cleaner would work great.

S100 Motorcycle Care Products - S100 is used worldwide by motorcycle detailers & enthusiasts! motorcycle detailing products, bike care products, s100

I never cared to detail the engine bay. But I guess I bought my truck as a tool, not so much as a toy. Not desparaging the super clean guys here, I do understand the desire to keep it nice. I do like to keep the interior and exterior clean. But as far as the engine compartment is concerned, I just give it a shot with the garden hose once in a while to get salt and dust off. No sense in putting chemicals where they dont need to be IMHO.

Sorry, don't mean to get off topic...

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I just stand on the bumper and take a whiz. Gets it clean but for some reason there's this lingering odor that I can't find. Almost like urine. Damn neighbor dogs.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Whatever method you use, try to do it in a place where the runoff won't go down the storm drain. In 99% of the country the storm drain leads to your nearest creek, river, lake, or ocean. Furthermore, if you city is on top of it enough, they could fine you for stormwater pollution. If you can do it at a carwash where the water is sent to the sewer system - great. Or do it on an unpaved portion of your property where it can soak into the ground. SG is biodegradable and the petroleum will eventually breakdown and degrade in the soil.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts