Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I posted in the general forum, the Fuel Fill Tube bug finally got me AFTER my factory warranty coverage expired on time. To add insult to injury, my after-market warranty company won't cover ANY ITEMS that are addressed in a factory TSB. Guess what....the fill tube snafu is addressed in a TSB, so I am SOL on getting warranty coverage from anyone for this problem.

SOOOOO....I went down and bought a new fill tube and did the work myself. Takes all of 15 minutes.

BUT...HERE'S THE BIG NEWS....I've heard that the reason the fill tube needed to be replaced had to do with cracks or a manufacturing defect. I believe one person posted something about the gas gap oring sealing surface. After close examination and testing of the old unit and comparing it to the new unit, I can confirm that the sealing surface on the old unit was stamped in an uneven fashion, making it unlikely that the gas cap oring would seal properly. The new fill tube has a nice, smooth sealing surface.

See attached DIY tutorial on replacing this piece. Sorry for the poor image quality...I'm having technical difficulties with my software.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nice write-up. I just wanted to add that Step-side Tundras use a different part number. When I was looking for a replacement filler neck for my 2003 Step-side, I found out the part was discontinued from Toyota. I ended up with an aftermarket one from Ebay. This is the second time I had to replace the filler because of 0442 code. The original one was replaced under warranty back in 2006 by Toyota, and the second one was replaced about 6 months ago by me. Same problem as above. Bad welds and an uneven sealing surface. A new gas cap worked for a short time then would leak again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts