Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to get the gear indicator to stay on all the time? Instead of it coming on only on "S" sequential shift mode, it would be convienient to have it on all the time, when it is in "D" drive. This is not really necessary, just for S and G's.

Is there any one else interested in this???

·
Registered
306 Posts
Not sure what good this would do. I see your point and you're right it would be cool if the number changed with the gears, so that you always know what gear you're in. But even when you're in S mode, the only number it displays is the gear you're "limiting" your transmission to. Meaning, if you have it on 3, the transmission is still going to shift through 1, 2 and 3. But, the number will always say 3.

To answer your question though, I've never seen a post of someone trying to do that. Not even sure if it's possible.

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
If someone can pull the transmission wiring PDF, there should be a way to make that work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
this a great question...even though i use the "s" mode a lot...it would be nice to see in normal mode tho.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
well since it doesnt show what gear you are actually in.....just the top gear you are allowing it to be in....it wont do any good anything. if u are going to be in "drive" just stick a post it note over there with the number 6 on it. thats all you are doing anyway is allowing it to go up to the top gear. now if it really put what gear you are in in real time that might be another story....but its not. :)

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Not like it makes a difference what gear you are in. If you reallly want it, just use the S mode and shift like a manual

·
Registered
859 Posts
Are you guys sure? I swear mine gives the correct number. Not only that, but I have a 4.7 and it will go up to 5. It always says '4' when I fisrt put it in to S mode, but then if I do the lever, it changes numbers. Or am I misunderstanding?

Edit: OK. I did the unthinkable and pulled out the manual and stand corrected. Ya learn something new every day! But it DOES let you go up to '5' in a 4.7

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea, I didn't think that one through.... since it only shows the top gear it allows the tranny to be in, it wouldn't show the current gear. I'm sure it could be configured to show current gear, but it's not as simple as I first thought...

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
Are you guys sure? I swear mine gives the correct number. Not only that, but I have a 4.7 and it will go up to 5. It always says '4' when I fisrt put it in to S mode, but then if I do the lever, it changes numbers. Or am I misunderstanding?

Edit: OK. I did the unthinkable and pulled out the manual and stand corrected. Ya learn something new every day! But it DOES let you go up to '5' in a 4.7
yes. it will let u go up to 5. but try this, put it in oh say 4, and stop. then start up. it does not say 1 2 3 on its own...it will just say 4. and it wont go past 4 till you manually shift it.

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
yea, I didn't think that one through.... since it only shows the top gear it allows the tranny to be in, it wouldn't show the current gear. I'm sure it could be configured to show current gear, but it's not as simple as I first thought...
plus once u drive a car/truck for a while, you should be pretty sure what gear its in anyway by feel. sound/feel and rpms always give away what gear its in at a certain rpm if you are 'in tune' wiht the truck...or just pay attention anyway.

·
Registered
859 Posts
yes. it will let u go up to 5. but try this, put it in oh say 4, and stop. then start up. it does not say 1 2 3 on its own...it will just say 4. and it wont go past 4 till you manually shift it.
Haha! I did exactly that right after I posted. And it did exactly what you described. But, also as you said, you get to know what gear you are in anyway.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I had a Jetta that would always let you know what gear you were in. This was whether you were tiptronic shifting or just in plain 'ole D. It was a neat at first, but the coolness wears off fast and you ignore it most of the time. Not nearly as addicting as watching the instantaneous MPG gauge.

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
I had a Jetta that would always let you know what gear you were in. This was whether you were tiptronic shifting or just in plain 'ole D. It was a neat at first, but the coolness wears off fast and you ignore it most of the time. Not nearly as addicting as watching the instantaneous MPG gauge.
Especially if you had one of the newer TDI and could feel the nice torque while still getting great mileage. :heh:

·
Ford "Scorpion" whisperer...
14,373 Posts
TDI has a vey narrow bandwith, it only pulls hard between 1500 and 3300 rpm. Your gasser wil accelarate much further in rpm.

Le mans series running diesel win competion, because accelaration isn't that important, endurance is.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
plus once u drive a car/truck for a while, you should be pretty sure what gear its in anyway by feel. sound/feel and rpms always give away what gear its in at a certain rpm if you are 'in tune' wiht the truck...or just pay attention anyway.
I can tell what gear I'm in w/o an indicator, but the max gear display is only being used in one mode. It's counterintuitive to not use a gear indicator that's already built into the dash.

I have one on my racebike. I usually only look at it before the start of the race just to ensure it says "1", but I appreciate it's there...

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
But this is an automatic. The trans job is to put you into the right gear. This thread is about seeing the number change. Strictly for amusement

·
Registered
753 Posts
when you manually shift the truck, it hangs in the gear for a few seconds before shifting anyways. turd tranny control module

-Tim

·
Premium Member
2,395 Posts
I think this is something worth looking into and it can be pretty informative just from a mpg standpoint alone. It would be nice to know what gear is being used and when the torque converter is locked. This should be easily doable by monitoring the shift solenoid wiring going to the transmission with a fairly basic TTL logic circuit and a few LEDs. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get the dash display to show both modes, but a small external display by itself would be a luxury. I personally would love to know when the TC locks and unlocks in addition to the requested gear from the ECM.

If anyone here has the transmission wiring information, I can see if it's going to be as easy as I think it will be.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts