Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a string of lights off ebay and selected a nice switch to install in the bed of my truck. Could someone please tell me where to hook this up. I will be stalling under the side rail of the truck. I was thinking about splicing into the tailgate plug for power but not sure. I would like to have constant power to the switch. So I can turn lights on and off. Here is a picture of the lights and switch. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
842 Posts
your gonna have to run wires form the battery if you want constant power to the switch.

·
Registered
567 Posts
its not that hard to run from the battery, from the battery just down the side of the engine compartment, then down the firewall to the frame rail, then run in the frame rail using zip ties about every foot or so all the way to the back of the truck, remove one of the tail lights and then you can run the wire from the frame rail to the bed rail through where the tail light sits. Make sure you put a fuse in line within a foot of the battery. good luck.

Andrew

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
From Battery: If i run it from the battery are could I use a fuse connection? What guage wire should i use?

From hitch: What would happen If spliced it into the tailer hitch wire? This would save me some time? Do I spice into the black wire and ground on the chase? This would disable the lights with the ignition off, correct? Would I have to have the lights on all the time for this to work?:ts:

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
dynomonkey,

I did something very similar and tapped into the trailer wiring...I did not want constant power as there is a chance of forgetting and draining the battery...so mine swithces on only when the key is in accessory or full on position....I also had a very different LED and mounting system...a full write up can be found in the first post here

Pistol Petes Bed Light Mod with RECON bed light unit

more pictures can be found in my photo gallery here

PISTOL PETES PHOTO GALLERY

good luck with whatever you decide

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
pistolpete, I have read your great post and I will admit your post inspired me to start my homework on this project. I'm just trying to change this a bit for my situation.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
pistolpete, I have read your great post and I will admit your post inspired me to start my homework on this project. I'm just trying to change this a bit for my situation.
ahhh glad to have inspired someone:D...yeah I tapped into the trailer hitch wiring because I wanted to have power ONLY when the key was in the ignition accessory or full on position....I go fishing frequently with friends and they have left bed lights on inadvertantly in other members trucks and drained the battery....REALLY sucks when you out in the middle of nowhere fishing!!!....I highly suggest this type of setup and not a always powered one....I'm still trying to research how to tie in a "3-way switch" and "light on" indicator in the cab so that I can turn the bed lights on/off from inside the cab (switch currently in the bed) so I don't have to get out of the cab to do so.

good luck in your project!!! it's a great addition!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Walter writing, named here: toneriso9001.
I suggest instilling the practice I learned from my pilot father, with whom I've been flying for about 55 years: turning everything OFF before you turn off the engine and depart the plane/vehicle; That way you are sure of not leaving any possibility of anything going amiss-a simple precaution. Best of fortune.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Hi <Tundra>
Could you explain where you connected to the cargo light? I want to add a set of Aux lights for loading boat at night and would like to know where you made the connection.

Truck looks great!
Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts