Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Q logic box with elemental designs e3.8 subs and NINe.2 amp.

What is the best way to mount an amp behind the backseat? Can you share your install pics?

Thanks,
Ben

·
Registered
524 Posts
Not sure if it would work, but I once helped a guy install an amp inside his x-cab tacoma.

What we did was take the spare kit out and mount a sub box in there. Then we cut the carpet carefully under the other jump seat, then traced the cut out carpet area. Then we removed the metal surround (all 1 pc, not sure if the tundras like this tho) and cut the traced piece out. Then using some JB weld and some plain sheetmetal we made tabs and made the metal panel removable with some screws. We then mounted an amp in there and ran all the wires out using some small holes on either side that went into the moldings.

It turned out great and really worked well, was a bit of work tho. What made it so good was the amp wasnt in the way of anything and you didnt see any wires anywhere.

·
Registered
567 Posts
to mount behind the seat, i would think you would have to cut a spot for it with in the back of the seat cause i am pretty sure its almost flush with the wall, i ended up just mounting mine under the passenger seat since i don't have anyone riding in the back. i know people have done it but i wasn't brave enough to cut it open. props to ya if you give it a shot.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, Access cab

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
01 AC and 24" x10" kicker on the back wall. Driver side vent deleted, and had to bend some metal bars on the back of the seat. The biggest issue was bending the metal back as my amp is huge 24x10 but if someones amp is more like 20x10 then it will be piece of cake. I didn't even had to move the bottom of the seat forward with spacers.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I got this posted somewhere in other threads, but, here is my setup on Tundra AC 2000.

Using P400-2 and P400-4 amps on the back wall. Stealth and clean install. I do have
spacers on my back seat *called back seat mod* but not needed. Used some basic stock and also used spacers on the bottom of the amps to angle them out about 1"+ to not block the air vents.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I don't think locating and installing an Amp. is much of an issue. ( back wall or under a seat)

The problem is where and how to install the subwoofer !

·
Registered
524 Posts
only 2 places to put the sub:
1. In a box behind the passenger or drivers seat sitting on the floor

2. Remove the spare tire catch and put it in there (my choice).

Course, you could also install them in the AC or DBL cab doors, but I dont think they have enough depth to work right.

Or you could go for one of those bazooka tubes and mount it or let it sit under the seats.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
I don't think locating and installing an Amp. is much of an issue. ( back wall or under a seat)
The problem is where and how to install the subwoofer !
Try a search in audio and you will find many setups.

For the sub, if you want it stealth and not seen:

Qlogic with 2 (8") subs (back seat passenger)

Custom enclosure with a 10" or 12" (back seat passenger)

Possible JL console setup

The other option, any type of sub setup that sits on floor or back seat, or remove
seat if not important to ya and go for more custom.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I agree about the standard options.

I decided to remove the whole back seat assembly as it is essentially useless for people anyway and build a custom enclosure attached to the back wall. Now my 10 inch sub is free to rattle the whole truck with impunity.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I got kid car seat in the back. I agree its useless for adults, only kids fit there. I chose to go cheap way - home made box behind driver seat. Wish i had bucket seats in the front. I Don't need bench so i would have much mire storage and place for a sub.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I don't have pictures, but I mounted mine on the drivers side of the rear wall.
Removed the vent, cut it up and made a block off plate for the air vent.
Used sheet metal screws and put some silicone on the threads and screwed the amp to the back wall.
I had to remove a metal bar off the back of the seat, but didn't remove any foam.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for posting!

JTBoy, did I read that right, that you didn't block any air vents?

I like the clean install behind the seat. If it's worth doing it's worth doing right and under the seat just seams lazy, but that's just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hey,

I don't know if you have already decided what you are going to do, but, I have seen somewhere on here or another site where you can change the mounting location of the back seats to change the angle of the seat for a more comfortable seating position (not 90 degrees). I have also heard that this provides enough room to mount an AMP behind the seat and provide breathing room for it as well..

However, don't quote me on this..

Justin

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
Thanks everyone for posting!

JTBoy, did I read that right, that you didn't block any air vents?
I know you meant, jbtoy, but, yes, you read right, I did not block the vents or directly shut them off. It may or may not be important to some, but, I preferred it that way (keep them working). In theory, better to keep them functional. *cab pressure inside, slam a door, and maybe..a problem*. People do block them or shut them down and seem fine, but, not difficult to keep them active/working. JMO.

·
Premium Member
2,269 Posts
This post refers to the back seat mod (this is how it looks on my access model). I first posted this pic about 8 years ago and did a writeup. I was not the first to do it, maybe the first to write it up. It changes the angle of the seat, and in the case of amp installs, pulls it away from the back wall about 1"+ or so.

....I have seen somewhere on here or another site where you can change the mounting location of the back seats to change the angle of the seat for a more comfortable seating position (not 90 degrees). I have also heard that this provides enough room to mount an AMP behind the seat and provide breathing room for it as well..

However, don't quote me on this..

Justin

1 - 20 of 28 Posts