Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen dozens of threads regarding the infamous carbon filter in the stock airbox. Some of them had people cutting out the mesh, some cutting out the plastic, all leaving the carbon filter FUBAR. Here's what I did to remove the thing and have it available to reinstall. Yes, I said, reinstall.
Note: no shameless beer plugs in this write-up:crazy:

First, some interesting pictures of the filter from two different perspectives.
Here's what it looks like held up to the light.
Circle

Here's what it looks like with the light shown from behind the filter.
Technology Rectangle

Ok now, the dissection of the airbox...:devil:

Step 1.
Remove the airbox, duh. Or at least the top half.
You'll need the popular 10mm socket and at least a 7" extension to remove the entire box. You need a #2 phillips and maybe a 10mm to remove just the top half.

Step 2.
Remove the MAF. (#2 phillips needed here)

Step 3.
Stick your arm in the hole, Flash Gordon style.
View attachment 33185

Step 4.
Reach all the way back, these are the easy ones.
Gently push up on one of the plastic corners, not the fabric.
See these little circles?
View attachment 33186
Push on those from behind. They'll pop out with moderate pressure.
View attachment 33187

Step 5.
Repeat step 4 on the middle tabs.
View attachment 33188

Step 6.
Pull the back up, the only two circles still attached are those in the front, where you couldn't reach from the inside. Well, I couldn't reach.
View attachment 33189
Now you can pry the front two loose.

End result:
A carbon filter that isn't all jacked up and an airbox that requires no scrutinizing cleaning!
View attachment 33190

Easy huh?
The tabs were melted on from the factory, and if you pulled them off gentle enuogh, you can reattach them. If all 6 are back on, the tension of the plastic frame will hold them back on snug.

Also, don't bother cleaning it, nothing comes out, it never gets white again, and it takes hours to dry. I tried.

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
Nice write up. What purpose does removing the mesh serve?

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
What years/models of Tundra have this carbon filter?

Fred

Good question! Now have me wondering if my '01 has one. I've put in a few air filters but never remember looking in to the top side.
Carbon filters are usually used to keep migrating fuel odors from backing out of the engine during a thing called a "shed test." This is where the entire vertical is put in a shed or sealed bag of sorts and they measure the emission the vehicle puts off just sitting there. The carbon absorbs the fuel vapors and then when it's running they are suck back into the air stream.
Other wise I can't see why you couldn't remove this. I don't believe it does any actual filtering.
Mike

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
OK, went and checked, 2001 does not have it.
Mike

·
AKA blackmbj
718 Posts
Nice write-up. I can't tell you if the '03 has this or not as my stock airbox is in the top of the shed, at the back, about a half-day of moving crap to get to it. So one of the other '03s will have to look and see if this is in their airbox. Maybe it came out with the VVTI engines?
BJ

·
Premium Member
1,540 Posts
EXCELLENT write-up "Tundradrenalin"! ;):tu: A little patience goes a looooooong way.
Thanks again...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Would this do any harm to the MAF or the truck running with it out. Assuming you always have clean paper in there.

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
The filter is pretty non restictive. There is no cleaning ever required. You won't gain anything taking it out except adding to pollution. I accidentally took it out of my 4 Runner while trying to figure out what it was. It was too messed up to put it back in. I checked my 03 Tundra and it has one but I left it in. You never know when emmissions testing will get tighter.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I know that some of the guys on the 2nd gen Tundra forum are removing the carbon filter and claiming a 2 MPG increase in fuel mileage. I was thinking of removing it from my 05 to see if there might be any improvement. If it is removed carefully it can also be replaced if desired with no harm done.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I know that some of the guys on the 2nd gen Tundra forum are removing the carbon filter and claiming a 2 MPG increase in fuel mileage. I was thinking of removing it from my 05 to see if there might be any improvement. If it is removed carefully it can also be replaced if desired with no harm done.
I removed it. Carefully per Tundradrenalin's good post. Came out easy. Did a intake clean and MAF clean also. I'll fill up tomorrow with top tier and check mileage on a full tank by Thursday or so. I'll reply and post. Intake did sound louder, but my truck also runs faster after a good oil change. :crazy:. TLC never hurt anything..

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
The filter is pretty non restictive. There is no cleaning ever required. You won't gain anything taking it out except adding to pollution. I accidentally took it out of my 4 Runner while trying to figure out what it was. It was too messed up to put it back in. I checked my 03 Tundra and it has one but I left it in. You never know when emmissions testing will get tighter.
what is emmissions? never heard of that one - LOL
(here in FL we don't have that)

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
what is emmissions? never heard of that one - LOL
(here in FL we don't have that)
Opps. I spelled it wrong! Emissions. Is that right? I spell badly but I smell O.K.:croc:Watch those gators tinik

·
Banned
8,335 Posts
Nice write-up. I can't tell you if the '03 has this or not as my stock airbox is in the top of the shed, at the back, about a half-day of moving crap to get to it. So one of the other '03s will have to look and see if this is in their airbox. Maybe it came out with the VVTI engines?
BJ

Mine has that on top of the filter box (2004)...

·
Super Moderator
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,562 Posts
All that carbon filter does is attempt to capture the blow-by and combustion byproducts that seep back into the intake system after the engine is shut down. Like everyone says, it is simply a control structure to make the environmentalists happy.

In regards to performance enhancement, unless it gets clogged with debris from a failed air filter, the thing is so coarse that I seriously doubt that it has any measurable restriction on the intake flow.

The one thing I wouldn't like about it is it traps all those nasty, acidic combustables and gases between the throttle body and the MAF sensor, so the MAF gets to sit immersed in the stuff. Not beneficial to its lifespan. Thankfully, my 2002 doesn't have it!

Other than that, those of you with 2003+ V8s, removing it will have NO effect on performance OR MPG.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.