Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 AC instead of buying the Q logic box that replaces the storage compartment under the rear passenger seat I'm considering sealing the compartment and creating a top out of mdf. What is the best way to make this compartment air tight besides fiberglass. I was thinking about a brush on undercoating. Would that be effective? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The easiest way would be to use felt (found in the sewing dept at Walmart) and resin. The felt soaks up plenty of resin and you can stretch it to fit contours, as opposed to countless layers of fiberglass or woven roving. You could make an overmold of the factory metal frame with felt and resin. Just cover the OEM metal with Scotch 233+ masking tape (green in color) and apply a coat of carnauba wax. The wax will act as a release agent once the resin is cured. This will be as strong as the factory metal frame that supports the seat. Let me know if you have anymore questions. Using resin, fiberglass, etc. is easier than you think.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try the felt and resin. Thanks for the input. A couple of questions.
Is it best to apply the resin with a brush?
I don't think that I will need to remove it though so I can just apply the felt directly to the metal right?
At this point the inside of the storage compartment would be airtight then i'll be replacing the stock storage compartment lid with MDF and that should do it right?
Thanks again for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts