Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '05 Tundra that I bought used and it has the original stereo system with single CD player and AM/FM tuner. I have a bunch of books on tape that I listen to while traveling and wanted a stereo with a cassette player. Found someone selling a OEM stereo from a different '05 Tundra that has the tuner, internal multi CD player and cassette player. Looked in owners manual and saw that there are three different OEM stereos for my truck so figured I could interchange them. Buzzz, wrong. Thank you for playing.

Pulled the stereo from my truck and it has different connectors for the wiring harness on the back and they don't fit the other stereo. Does anybody know of a way to change out those stereos or do I just have a new paper weight? Surely there is some adapter or wiring harness replacement available. I find it hard to fathom why a truck with 3 different stereo options when it was new would have to be wired different at the factory depending on which one was chosen.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Not really sure what model option had the CD+Cassette player.

I recently replaced my 05 JBL single CD headunit with a Scion T1809. This required that I purchase the JBL bypass harness, made by Metra, which provided me with some of the standard Toyota/Lexus/Scion harness plugs. From there, I used a Wiring harness adapter for the standard Toyota plugs and a "reverse" harness that provided me with OEM plugs to connect to the Scion headunit.

Figure out what kind of plugs are necessary for your replacement headunit, and then check on ebay for a "Reverse oem harness"

·
Premium Member
5,061 Posts
chances are, there was another harness put in with the stereo you inherrited because there aren't any aftermarket decks that will accept a tundra oem harness that I am aware of. can you tell if there were wires spliced or another harness hooked into the oem harness? if so, just unplug that and try again. i bet you can probably roll by your local stereo joint and aske them to install the oem deck for you if you give them the aftermarket deck as payment. shouldn't take them more than 5 mins as long as your oem harness wasn't all hacked up.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If remember right the ones with steering wheel controls have different connectors that the units that do not have wheel controls.

I purchased a couple from some T/S ers and one was from a 2005 with the JBL & wheel controls, like you have and it would not work in my 2000 but amodel with out the JBL controls did fit and it had multi stack CD player and a cassette deck in it. My orginal only had a single CD player. The JBL has the need for a second connector.

K

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
If you have separate tweeters in the front doors, you have a small factory amp mounted back behind the radio. When I changed to a Scion HU, I had to pull out the amp and then the cables which had plugged into the amp, plugged directly into my new HU.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both the unit in the truck and the used one that I bought are OEM units. Both are described in the owners manual. That is why I was surprised to find out they require a different wiring harness. Seems kind of nuts for Toyota to have wired the trucks differently depending on which stereo option was chosen for the truck.

I called two different dealerships today and both told me that Toyota doesn't sell any kind of adapter. They suggested I try the installers at Best Buy or Car Toys. I would have considered just putting in an aftermarket stereo but I didn't see any that included a cassette player. I guess they are too out dated. In another decade or so you probably will see CD players go the same way.

Scott

·
Registered
439 Posts
Both the unit in the truck and the used one that I bought are OEM units. Both are described in the owners manual. That is why I was surprised to find out they require a different wiring harness. Seems kind of nuts for Toyota to have wired the trucks differently depending on which stereo option was chosen for the truck.

I called two different dealerships today and both told me that Toyota doesn't sell any kind of adapter. They suggested I try the installers at Best Buy or Car Toys. I would have considered just putting in an aftermarket stereo but I didn't see any that included a cassette player. I guess they are too out dated. In another decade or so you probably will see CD players go the same way.

Scott
As anything goes along the manufacture will make what they call improvements, on the 2000 year everything was a single play unit, CD,Cassette, AM/FM, a year or so later they added the CD as a stacker 6 in one, then around 03/04 came the units you have that were a option JBL, all that I have seen have controls on the steering wheel hence the extra plug to control that part, now days head units are most likely wired differently.
Like I sad a lot of people have taken out there old head units and upgraded, go into the classifeds and put out a request for any one who has one that they would sell or give for the price opf shipping. That is how I got the stacker.
K

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've been looking into replacing my factory HU as well but more for connection an mp3 player. Lots of stock combinations. My best guess is that you probably have a base CD unit without the amp as your factory setup. The speakers plug directly into the radio (more or less). The one you purchased most likely requires the factory amp and thus the connectors don't match. You may need to acquire a factory amp to connect between your existing wiring and the new head unit. Decent aftermarket double din decks with CD/cassette are pretty hard to find. Good luck.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I have an '05 Tundra that I bought used and it has the original stereo system with single CD player and AM/FM tuner. I have a bunch of books on tape that I listen to while traveling and wanted a stereo with a cassette player. Found someone selling a OEM stereo from a different '05 Tundra that has the tuner, internal multi CD player and cassette player. Looked in owners manual and saw that there are three different OEM stereos for my truck so figured I could interchange them. Buzzz, wrong. Thank you for playing.

Pulled the stereo from my truck and it has different connectors for the wiring harness on the back and they don't fit the other stereo. Does anybody know of a way to change out those stereos or do I just have a new paper weight? Surely there is some adapter or wiring harness replacement available. I find it hard to fathom why a truck with 3 different stereo options when it was new would have to be wired different at the factory depending on which one was chosen.
Snap some piccies of the connectors you have. Kinda hard to figure out what you have by yer description. ;)

Have you considered transferring the cassette audio tapes to MP3? It would probably make more sense in the long run since cassette tapes are a contact media and will wear out in due time. ;)

You might want to consider a Scion head unit like the T1806 or T1807 as they will allow you to put yer MP3 files as data on a CD and you can play them that way. You can stuff a bunch of yer audio tapes on one CD. :D

Don't try burning it as a music CD as it will convert the files to WAV making them much bigger and not increasing the audio quality at all. :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts