Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Tundra DC, I have read about some people using the stock rear speakers as mounting adapters for new speakers. Does anyone have any pics of this and how to go on doing it myself? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
you can use a sharp razor and cut the cone out from the outside edges. then drop your new speaker in the hole. thats the short version.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
That makes zero sense. Why would you want to rip the soft parts of a speaker out and install another speaker inside the old basket? That would totally mess with the back-waves and sound like crap. I won't even get into how the forces of the two magnets so close together could mess with the coil.
You'd be much better off buying or making baffles that fit and function properly.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can use a sharp razor and cut the cone out from the outside edges. then drop your new speaker in the hole. thats the short version.
Do you know of anyone that has picks of this? This is exactly what I am talking about, cutting out the old ****** paper speaker and using the rest for a solid bracket.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
That makes zero sense. Why would you want to rip the soft parts of a speaker out and install another speaker inside the old basket? That would totally mess with the back-waves and sound like crap. I won't even get into how the forces of the two magnets so close together could mess with the coil.
You'd be much better off buying or making baffles that fit and function properly.
lol, I'm not meaning to leave the old magnet in there, the whole thing needs to be gutted. A lot of guys here have been doing this so as not to have to buy or build rear adapters.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Do you know of anyone that has picks of this? This is exactly what I am talking about, cutting out the old ****** paper speaker and using the rest for a solid bracket.
Yeah, there are pics floating around here somewhere, a lot of people have done this so they didnt have to buy or build new adapters. There isnt much of a loss as the factory speakers are junk anyway and they only thing valuable on that whole assembly is the plastic anyhow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is how I did mine; sorry I did not take any pics. Not at all difficult. I used a dremel to remove the stock paper junk and then used it to sand down the interior of the bracket. Let me know if you have issues and Ill try to help.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone, thanks for the help. I got them in yesterday, sorry no pics got over excited. I actually went mcguyver on the install, used a kitchen knife to cut out the paper speaker and to saw thru the plastic holding the magnet. Then used a small drill to put the screws in to hold the speakers. A lil bit of dynamat and BOOM, new CDT slim 2ways in the rear. SOUNDS SOOOO MUCH BETTER NOW. Again, thanks guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts