Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2006 Tundra without the tow package. I now want to add a transmission oil cooler to the front of the radiator. I understand that they are not very expensive and are usually easy to install. Has anyone done it? Do you have any pointers? My main concern is that the 2006 has a sealed system so how do I add the fluid needed for the increased capacity and check the fill level afterwards with no dipstick on this vehicle. I know I will lose some fluid in the process and want to maintain the proper level. Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Huh? When did these become standard? I also thought they were included only on the towing packed equipped Tundras.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
My 02 had one in front of the radiator. So does my 07, my 02 sequoia had it there also. I think it was about 8"x12" or so & black in color with 2- 3/8" lines attached. Looks like a small radiator.

I would think you would have one also. Don't know.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I bought a 2006 Tundra without the tow package. I now want to add a transmission oil cooler to the front of the radiator. I understand that they are not very expensive and are usually easy to install. Has anyone done it? Do you have any pointers? My main concern is that the 2006 has a sealed system so how do I add the fluid needed for the increased capacity and check the fill level afterwards with no dipstick on this vehicle. I know I will lose some fluid in the process and want to maintain the proper level. Thanks for any help!
I would take to Dealer and let them change it at 100K miles and not worry about it cause per Toyota Socal it never needs changing but i know the manual says under extreme conditions change it around 60 or 90K but i would still let Toyota do this procedure since they have the proper fluid/evac machine to do job! Lotta people have their own procedues for doing this job but seems labor intensive and not sure if you might cause moe problems than ya might solve? Thier is a check procedure here on this forum under the adminitrators name and i will see if i can search for it, or just go to drivetrain and search transmission fluid check!! yep it is over there and it's a pdf file!! can't miss it!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts