Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2006 Tundra DC and have questions about changing out the HU. From threads on this board I want to know whether my truck has the external amp installed (the showstopper for me changing it out or paying someone due to rewiring everything).

I have looked under the rear passenger seat and all that is in the little compartment is tools (jack, etc). My truck did not come with the JBL upgrade (I am making an assumption since my factory HU does not have JBL written on it and typically they like to brand them). I have looked at the wiring diagrams (availible to download from this site) and it looks like the 6 speaker system is completely wired through a wiring harness from the HU and only the 8 speaker system has the external amp.

Am I correct in my thinking that my truck does not have the external amp? Or is it buried behind the factory HU?

Thanks, once I figure this out I'll post pics on the HU changeout and IPOD cable run.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Look under the Passenger Front seat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I looked below the seats (actually both of them) and there is only an air duct. I tried looking under the carpet and didn't see anything else (just soundproofing/padding).

So I guess I am in the clear - no amp installed?

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
I believe the JBL amp in a DC is behind the plastic cover on the back wall of the cab. That is why the pocket on the Drivers side is shorter than the rest. Remove that panel you should find it there if you have one.

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
I have an 06 DC with the JBL system and the amp is not under the seats. I will look at the back wall tonight after work to see. I just thought I would let anyone know that it is not under the seats.

thanks

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you dont have a JBL hu then you wont have an amp. I had the stock HU and my Kenwood was plug and play with a $10 harness. Even with the JBL you can buy a harness, its expensive though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Your comments are inline with the wiring diagrams that I have seen.Now I guess it is time to decide on a head unit to switch out. Again thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
If it is indeed a JBL head unit that uses the small amp, than the amp is located on the drivers side in the way back where the window rolls down. You will need to fold the rear seats and remove the two knows on on either side. They just pull out with force. Than just start removing the plastic piece from one corner all the way around to the other corner.

The amp is about 4- 6 inches in length and is silver with ribbing. It is held in by two bolts. Simply unbolt and unclip the wire harness and you are done with the removal.

As far as inserting something new it depends on the HU you pick and if you are going to need an external amp to run it. If not than all you should need is the wire adaptor which you can get from any stereo store. Make sure when you go in if it is a JBL system that you tell them that because there are two adaptors.

Best of luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts