Toyota Tundra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dimmer switch works fine but only raises and lowers the brightness of the instrument cluster not the rest of the dash lights. I have not had my truck long when these lights went out and cannot remember if all the lights were dimmed by the dimmer left of the wheel or if it was just the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm not sure I'm understanding the quick fix. Are yous saying to run a new ground to Pin 37 or cut the wire and ground it? I'm a little confused and would like to get my truck apart this weekend to fix this issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same happened here when I swapped the stock head unit for an aftermarket. = no central lights when park/head light switch turned on. I had disconnected the battery 30 min prior to disassembly to be sure no shorts would be a problem. No central lighting prompted me to put stock unit back in to check if it happened when the stock was installed. Worked fine then. Only difference was 1 of 3 harness connectors that go into the stock head unit doesn't have a place in my aftermarket unit. Doesn't bother me much now, but it will when I mod the info cluster in the near future to get my mpg and other readings.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just had the gauge cluster replaced and it didn't fix the problem. Super pissed and fed up with this. If u guys end up fixing this any other way please reply. I'm gonna wait till it warms up and try the splice trick. 07 Tundra

·
Registered
12 Posts
Can you give me the detail on the fix. Man I only added an aftermarket radio and my lights went to hell... I can't understand this as I have don't 50 radio swaps in my time...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same thing "randomly" happen and now I feel like an idiot. After spending time reading this thread and threads on other forums, I decided to check, as someone on here suggested, whether it's an issue with the dimmer switch to the left of the steering column. I turns out when I detailed the inside of the truck, I accidentally turned the dimmer switch all the way down. Problem solved. Don't make my mistake. Before anything else, check the dimmer switch.

I hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The illumination circuit ground runs into the combination meter(gauge cluster). Poor engineering! If there is a short then a fuse should blow not your combination meter!

I had the same problem with my illumination lighting. I research the wiring diagrams from Toyota TIS and came up with a quick fix. I spliced into the illumination ground and ran a new ground point. Much cheaper then $850!!

Let me know if anyone is still having problems with the illuminations. I can foward you the wiring diagram and my quick fix.
PM sent:grin2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
The illumination circuit ground runs into the combination meter(gauge cluster). Poor engineering! If there is a short then a fuse should blow not your combination meter!

I had the same problem with my illumination lighting. I research the wiring diagrams from Toyota TIS and came up with a quick fix. I spliced into the illumination ground and ran a new ground point. Much cheaper then $850!!

Let me know if anyone is still having problems with the illuminations. I can foward you the wiring diagram and my quick fix.
Recently purchased a 2007 Tundra, One owner, low miles and has the same lighting issue detailed in this thread. If you still have the wiring diagrams, viukdmyou forward?

Thank you,

Russell

·
Registered
3 Posts

Recently purchased a 2007 Tundra, One owner, low miles and has the same lighting issue detailed in this thread. If you still have the wiring diagrams, viukdmyou forward?

Thank you,

Russell

Russel, send a pic of the board inside the gauge cluster. There is only one mosfet in the cluster and needs to be replaced. Just did mine on a 2008 sequoia and it worked like a champ. Mine was on the rear of the board. Some people have it on the front (gauge needles) side of the board. I think it depends on the year. I also have 3 mosfet’s left over if someone Needs one.
Thank you,
Luis

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just confirmed that the mosfet did the trick for my 2008 sequoia.

I ordered the same part that was stated on the celica site but used on my gauge panel. The MOSFET is on the back of the unit. NO NEED TO TAKE THE POINTERS OFF THE GAUGE PANEL.
Just remove the white cover on the rear of the gauge panel. Should be the same on a Tundra.

This was caused by me installing a new Pioneer radio and wiring the dimmer switch.

DO NOT WIRE IN ANY DIMMER wire to your Toyota. It's best to avoid this and control via the radio instead. Just my 2 cents.

Something else I noticed on My Sequoia. I had to wire the reverse trigger wire at the rear right of the sequoia. The trigger wire on a 2008 rear lamp is BLACK (go figure) as I thought it was ground. It is larger than the other wires in the area. You can easily access by removing the lower rear hatch cover.

Due to this short on the reverse circuit, I had to replace the Fuse box/ Junction box as it damaged some circuits. Bought the fuse box from Ebay and resolved all my issues.

Lesson learned!!!!! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have any transistors still laying around or have a source for them? Supply seems to have dried up at digikey

digikey.com/products/en?keywords=2SK2231TE16RQCT-ND

edit: I did not end up needing these transistors, it was a plug unplugged for me! Anyway, now I have 10 chinese transistors if anyone wants one.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts