Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I purchased a Hybrid LED tail light today and am waiting for it's arrival. I am very exicted because now I can play around with it and see how I might be able to convert the non hybrid Highlander to accept the LED tail lights. What fun, I love this stuff!

Well, If anyone else has done this yet and can tell me how they did it, it would be much appreciated. I will take photos and post on my cardomain site for anyone who is interested.

Wish me luck!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Well, I purchased a Hybrid LED tail light today and am waiting for it's arrival. I am very exicted because now I can play around with it and see how I might be able to convert the non hybrid Highlander to accept the LED tail lights. What fun, I love this stuff!

Well, If anyone else has done this yet and can tell me how they did it, it would be much appreciated. I will take photos and post on my cardomain site for anyone who is interested.

Wish me luck!

Please post some pictures and let us know if the LED works (and how it works)... What is your cardomain address? (mine is http://www.cardomain.com/ride/401443) I've been wanting to see the LED conversion ever since the HL Hybrid came out. Good luck. Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It arrived today!!! Looks so nice. I have taken pictures of the light assembly front and back for you all. I will post them this weekend and provide my cardomain site for you.

Now, I need to figure out how I can get the light to work with the car. :) I can see that there are resistors built into the light housing, so I am hoping that I might be able to just wire in the matching plug to the car and then plug and play??? hmmmmmmm

I will let you know.

·
Registered
70 Posts
waiting to see picts and write up, was considering to do the conversion when funds are available

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay. I just found out that my wife and I are relocating to NC very soon, so we have been busy getting the house ready for sale. :)

Alright, well I have posted pictures of the LED tail light (front and back) so you all can see what the differences are. That is as far as I have gotten. I still want to figure out the best way for us to be able to use these on our NON-Hybrid Hyghlanders, but it may be a while before I can do so.

If anyone has any helpful info to offer me, please do. :)

Here is my cardomain site, the pictures of the LED lights are on page 6.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2248929

Thanks,

John

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
When I installed the Altezzas On my '06 H/L, I observed a differently shaped male/female receptacle (the only real obstacle at this point) and I counted 6 pin-outs on each Tail unit.
I will make an educated guess at this point, that there will be 5 pin-outs on the LED Tail. I will verify this with the Hybrid Skits.

The resistor yu show is obviously for the LED section of the Tails. Yu already know this.
Resistors are used with LED lighting to simulate the standard voltage draw of a regular filiment buld. I feel it is a good sign that it is there. The body ECU should be sending a full 12 volts to the LED tails as a result and it is just a matter of finding the correct pinouts and convert the O/E male Non-LED plug this LED Tail.
I feel if yu were able to source the Hybrid style Male side plug/connector yu could accomplish this rather easily.

I am in the process of comparing pinouts on the Non Hybrid to the Hybrid version. I will forward the color breakdown/conversion as I observe on both Skits.

Goodluck on your move.

LT:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay. I just found out that my wife and I are relocating to NC very soon, so we have been busy getting the house ready for sale. :)

John

I wish you have a smooth move. Please don't forget to update us on your LED Tail lights once you get a chance on it! Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The wiring should still be 12v direct. It "should" be as simple as switching the connectors and make sure positive from your car is going to positive connector and the same for the ground and brake signals.

The resisitors are going to handle the job of reducing the power to the LEDs at the tail. So theoretically you should be all good to go.

Perhaps goiong by the Yota dealership with a multimeter and testing the incoming voltage to the tail on a new Hybid Highlander would be a good idea because you sure don't want to send 12V to the unit if its not designed for it. However I feel strong in my gut that this is going to be a simple swap and just a matter of some simple wiring for the new plugs since the resistors are on the LED unit. I can't see Toyota making something like a tail light and voltage for the entire car to be different than a non-hybrid, minus the critical engine electrical stuff. The rest should be no different voltage than a regular Highlander.

I plan on buying some hybrid LED units and if nobody has posted pics by then, I'll be sure to give a good write-up on it.

Does anyone know what the price is from the dealership for a set of Hybrid LED tails? What did you pay and where did you get yours drmonkey, if you don't mind me asking?....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Found this site on how Toyota Kluger is wired for Hybrid Tails, the only thing that confuses me is wiring the green/grey wires form the stock connector to hybrid connector top piece. It looks like the wiring for the reverse light is Red/Black and Grey/Black, the Turn signal is Green striped grey to the red wire but it seems piggy backed of the grey/black. I'm no electrician but thought this might give you guys an idea on how to wire and test the rear tail lamp for a detailed write up for the conversion.

ƒnƒCƒuƒŠƒe�[ƒ‹‚ÉŒðŠ·�I / ƒgƒˆƒ^ ƒNƒ‹�[ƒK�[V �y ‚Ý‚ñƒJƒ‰ �z �®”õŽè’*

Rear Picture borrowed from Dr.Monkey

Splicing Process Picture from site:

·
Premium Member
2,581 Posts
I too have been looking for this update.

I know someone who wants this done to his HL. I was looking to wait first and see how this threads author did it.
But I haven't seen drmonkey1313 for quite awhile. Last I heard, he moved.

I HOPE HE'S OK.

LT:)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I bought a LH Hybrid LED light from ebay just to try myself. I then found out not only the wiring is totally different, the suckets (which weren't provided from ebay seller) for turn signals and reverse lights are different sizes and shape. It's so different than the regular tail lights and it is beyond my reach to mess with it...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts