Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IF toyota made a hubrid tundra, that had the same reliability and towing capacity as the 5.7 but got 25mpg so would you buy it? i think i would. i would miss the exhaust but i could live with it

·
Registered
16 Posts
IF toyota made a hubrid tundra, that had the same reliability and towing capacity as the 5.7 but got 25mpg so would you buy it? i think i would. i would miss the exhaust but i could live with it
Probably not. But if they built a Tundra that ran on E-85 I would buy it.

Now...and E-85 compatable hybrid. That would be a cool trick:)

·
Premium Member
13,116 Posts
I would if the performance specs were the same of close.

As for the exhaust sound, who cares? Loud don't mean fast. Exhaust rumble contributes as much to performance as decals do.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would if the performance specs were the same of close.

As for the exhaust sound, who cares? Loud don't mean fast. Exhaust rumble contributes as much to performance as decals do.

ya when i asked the question in my head i ment performed just like the new tundra, guess i didnt convey that very well..

·
Registered
10 Posts
that would be a decent truck for sure, i know GM has a hybrid silverado in the works (might be out? dont keep up with them) but the thing about a hybrid truck is fuel capacity

nope, while e-85 might be cheaper at the pump you need to keep in mind that it doesnt produce as much power potential as regular gas, THEREFORE it gets slightly worse MPG (in my experience anyway) and basically negates the lower initial cost at the pump

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
The big thing about E-85 is who sells it and you will be surprised that their aren't that many places!! National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition will clue ya into who sells it and to whom they sell it to!! majority of stations are for corporate/city biddness only "NO PUBLIC SALES" !! guess ya will need to add another extra tank and a large bushel basket of corn liquor just in case ya miss one of theses stations that are located no where near an interstate highway!!

·
Jedi Ninja in Training
8,309 Posts
Darn right! Everyone knows the decals don't make the vehicle faster. It's the color that does it. ;)
And Slate Metallic is the fastest color!!!:D :tu:

·
Registered
379 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Unfortunately Hybrid in it's current technology wouldn't work in a heavy 4x4 truck. If you tried to tow/haul anything you would quickly be running on V6 or whatever has engine was in their power.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would certainly be interested in hybrid or especially diesel. A hybrid SHOULD have greater towing capacity (they usually have a ton of torque) and we all know the diesel would.

I don't think a hybrid would anywhere near 25 mpg though, probably around 18-20.

At least with a diesel I could convert to veg oil.

WARNING: GETTING ON MY SOAPBOX
I will stay as far away from Ethanol as I can. IMHO E85 is just another sad attempt by politicaians to subsidize US farmers. I totally support Made in America as long as the Americans are doing everything they can to be competitive.
OK, I'M OFF

·
Registered
214 Posts
The big thing about E-85 is who sells it and you will be surprised that their aren't that many places!! National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition will clue ya into who sells it and to whom they sell it to!! majority of stations are for corporate/city biddness only "NO PUBLIC SALES" !! guess ya will need to add another extra tank and a large bushel basket of corn liquor just in case ya miss one of theses stations that are located no where near an interstate highway!!
We're talking E-85 compatible here, not only. When it's E-85 compatible, it can run on both E-85 and standard gasoline.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't think a hybrid would anywhere near 25 mpg though, probably around 18-20.
Then what would be the benefit from being hybrid if this was the case? The truck is already estimated around these numbers so there'd be no benefit from it whatsoever. If they were going to do a hybrid, it'd have a significant boost in mileage numbers to even be viable otherwise there's no way they'd sell.

·
Registered
23 Posts

E-85 capiblilty would be nice - even though I don't know how much I would use it. Nearly every gas station around here sells it. It does need to sell for at least 28% less than regular to be an equal value and I rarely see that.

Personally, I'd be more interested if the Tundra 1/2 ton came with a small diesel that got better mileage overall interests me more than a hybrid. Ford and Dodge will have diesel in 1/2 tons soon. Toyota should be there with them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Unfortunately Hybrid in it's current technology wouldn't work in a heavy 4x4 truck. If you tried to tow/haul anything you would quickly be running on V6 or whatever has engine was in their power.
I disagree. It would take a different approach, but a hybrid heavy duty truck would actually work really well, especially pulling a trailer or heavy load, where you could have a really aggressive regenerative braking mode to charge the batteries. I'd use a full size full power motor, plus a massive battery pack and huge electric motors boosting the transmission from a planetary gearset like a Prius. With the help of the motors you could easily get 5-600 lb feet of combined torque from a standing start. Offer it with a 2000 watt AC outlet in the bed and you have a kick-*** fuel efficient hybrid truck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when i asked the question i ment it more as an IF it had the acted like the tundra does today. i know with the way hybrids are now it would be interesting to see how the could beef up the system, but this is just a hypothetical question.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I don't disagree that electric motors have 100% of their torque available at 0 RPMs. What you need to keep in mind is that that doesn't last forever and the more weight you add to the equation the less it lasts. Especially if you're talking about going up hills and what not. The recaptured energy can only be stored so much as it's not limitless and it's not like you always brake while towing/hauling. Sometimes you have long stretches where you don't brake at all. Throw in some uphill pulls and you can see why it would be a difficult task to create a Hybrid Tundra.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't disagree that electric motors have 100% of their torque available at 0 RPMs. What you need to keep in mind is that that doesn't last forever and the more weight you add to the equation the less it lasts. Especially if you're talking about going up hills and what not. The recaptured energy can only be stored so much as it's not limitless and it's not like you always brake while towing/hauling. Sometimes you have long stretches where you don't brake at all. Throw in some uphill pulls and you can see why it would be a difficult task to create a Hybrid Tundra.
I'd wager that you brake exactly the same amount as you accelerate. ;)

For every uphill there's a downhill.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'd wager that you brake exactly the same amount as you accelerate. ;)

For every uphill there's a downhill.
Not if you don't make it up that hill.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Then what would be the benefit from being hybrid if this was the case? The truck is already estimated around these numbers so there'd be no benefit from it whatsoever. If they were going to do a hybrid, it'd have a significant boost in mileage numbers to even be viable otherwise there's no way they'd sell.
I am speaking specifically on the 5.7L which is "RATED" at 14/18. 20MPG would be a 42% increase in fuel economy in city driving which is where hybrids are supposed to shine. 25MPG would a 78% increase.

Don't get me wrong, if they come out with hybrid that gets 25MPG (city OR hwy), I would trade in my 07 tomorrow. Assuming 15,000 annual miles and gas prices of $3/gallon I would save $4000 in ONE year. That is a no brainer.:tu:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts