Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all. I had a 96 t100 4x4 dark metallic blue with 113,000, it was my baby, the only car I ever wanted. I was the second owner and bought it with 39,000 on it in 2000, only put 74k miles on it in ten years. I only drive it on weekends once or twice a month and long trips so it was all highway miles. I thought It was going to be with me forever and then some how it caught on fire when i parked it at an airport parking lot. . I didn't find out about it till i landed and got a voicemail on my phone.It was possibly a short with my alarm system or engine temp igniting a sudden fluid leak, not sure what happened and the insurance fire inspector couldn't determine the cause. I was devastated but now a few months later and viewing many tundra truck online I have found one that I don't understand. Hope someone can help. It is a 2002 Tundra 4x2 access cab but it has the TRD off road badges on both sides of the bed. It looks factory but I guess someone could have put those on. I just wanted to know if anyone out there has this from the factory or if i really is a 4x4 but the used car dealer just didn't have the right info on the description. I have a email to the dealer and hope to find out some info soon before I have to drive 3 hours to see the truck and test drive it. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
They did make TRD 2 wheel drives. I think it pretty much consisted of upgraded Bilstein shocks. If you have access to the VIN, it will determine 2wd vs 4wd. It will start with either 5tbrt or 5tbbt. The "r" indicates rwd the "b" indicates 4wd.

·
Registered
544 Posts
yeah my truck is a 2wd with TRD... as said it has bilstien shocks, sr5's got fender flares like limited trucks and other additions they mentioned before me :tu:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have owned 2 T100's. more room in the extra cab than the Tundra but no back doors. i regret selling my last t100 a lot ...but a supercharged T100 doesn't have the smooth power of the V8 Tundra. The tundra drives way smoother too. almost too much though. My point... find a tundra that is close and test drive it before you drive 3 hours. Thats one good thing about car lots test driving cars too see if you like them and just leaving

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Man sorry to hear about that, sounds like you had a nice T-honey... I had a '96 for 9 years... best truck I ever owned. It was a maroon 4x4 with a Leer topper, 5-speed with the 3.4 V6. I now own an '01 Tundra Limited TRD 4x4. It's a great truck but I get the feeling the T100 was just a better truck... Better gas mileage (granted, less power), better off-road capability, no frame rust. No frills, simple design with a lot less potential for problems. The T100s were built in Japan, unlike the Tundras built here in the U.S. The back doors to the access cab are nice in the Tundra however. If I could find another T100... say a '98 stick with less than 100k on it I would consider trading my Tundra.

I too thought for a long time that the TRDs were always 4wd. Turns out they can be either 2 or 4wd... Don't be fooled by the TRD on a Tundra, it doesn't get you much besides Bilstein shocks, fenders and stickers. I was disappointed to discover that they don't even have a rear locker like the Tacomas do. I had an '05 Tacoma TRD 4x4 double cab short bed for a year and ended up selling it for my Tundra because it was just too small and got horrible gas mileage... 16 on average whereas my Tundra manages to get 18... And my Tacoma had the 6-speed manual! Nice truck but just didn't nearly have the utility and size of the Tundra... I sold the Tacoma for $19k with 60k on it and bought the Tundra for $9k with 100k on it... That's a $10k difference and the Tacoma is definitely not $10k more truck. The Tundra has been every bit as reliable... Just had to do the timing belt. I have a fair bit of frame rust but so far it has not affected anything.

Anyway, I still recommend the Tundra, but do have a bit of Nostalgia towards the T100, maybe it's because it brings me back to my college days when life was more simple... the days when owning a truck was fun, not something I HAD to own for work purposes... I just wish Toyota could offer a diesel option like they do in the rest of the world. I swear, our emissions standards in this country are ASS-BACKWARDS!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts