Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hoping someone here can put me on the trail to fix my 05 Tundra 4.7.

Yesterday, I was changing out the ignition coils and plugs and not only did I touch the wrench against the positive terminal but I also touched my wrench to the cable coming into the fuse box (I had to remove the fuse cover and there is a cable bolted down right at the edge).

At first all was good. I was giving it a test drive after I put the coils and plugs on, but noticed the battery warning light was on, then about 3 miles it wouldnt accelerate very well. I limped it back home and by the time I got to my house pressing the accelerator had no effect and it was trying to stall out.

I parked it and turned it off and was unable to turn it back on, didn't even try to turn over. Battery warning light was off, but ABS light was on, maint required blinking and check engine was on. Hooking reader to it had no effect as it wasn't getting any power to it. I couldn't roll up my windows and auto door unlock/lock wasnt working.

I checked every fuse under engine and under steering wheel and they all were good. I disconnected battery terminals over night.

How bad did I jack my beloved Tundra up? Did I blow the 140 amp ALT fuse?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did you check the 140 amp fuse? If battery light is on most likely you fried the alternator. You could of screwed up the battery as well. You need a battery checker to really know. Places like NAPA can help you check if battery is good. Start with a good battery fully charged, and then we can start diagnosing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you check the 140 amp fuse? If battery light is on most likely you fried the alternator. You could of screwed up the battery as well. You need a battery checker to really know. Places like NAPA can help you check if battery is good. Start with a good battery fully charged, and then we can start diagnosing.
It was the ALT fuse and it was a major pain to get off. Well, really the fuse box wsa the pain because it needs to be taken apart so that you can get to the two bolts that connect to the bottom of the 140a fuse.
Thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Good thing that was it. Of course reverse engineering didn't help replacing it. You would think they would put the nuts on top, Duh.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts