Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was stuck in the snow today. Rolling back and forth ....I now hear a clanking noise when 4wd is engaged. I cannot drive forward or reverse in 4wd for fear I will break something more. There is way too much resistance to move just a quarter of a wheel turn. I'm not pushing it.

The front driveshaft visually seems ok. And so does the half shafts to each wheel. There is no oil leak.

Any ideas? 2006 Tundra Truck doesn't have a lot of miles on it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Might not be an oil leak but is their oil in all the running gear, stranger things could happen!! i would tow to dealer for warranty work and let them worry about it unless you are one that changed to a non oem spec fluid somewhere?

·
Registered
207 Posts
did you try to drive the truck in 4wd? mine clunks some times but still works. shift it in to 4wd on flat ground and see if moves forward in gear. try 4hi and 4lo. if it still works in 2wd then its probably your transfer case. but I understand that the transfer cases in these trucks are pretty tuff, your more likely to explode your front diff.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Well it sounds like when I broke a bearing...even if i gassed it, the truck had problems moving. By the time I got it towed on a flatbed to the shop, my wheel was ready to fall off. If you feel resistence in the wheel, I would just get it towed anyway for safety. If you drive and your bearing goes, you could roll your truck.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, I forgot to update this post. I had broke a gear in the front axle. Everything was fine in 2wd so I was able to get to the dealer.

They fixed it under warranty.

I don't have the truck anymore. Toyota really took a hit on the warranty. Both of these issues could have been considered my fault. This issue and then prior to this, I had left a light on the truck over night. Hooked up the jumper cables backwards. I've done this over a hundred times, but is was dark, new truck, and I guess I was just careless. It fried several components including the ABS pump.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts