Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everybody has been offered a fuel injection cleaning service and/or a decarbonizing service from either their dealership or independent mechanic to the tune of 200 to 300 dollars. That is what led me to investigate cleaning my own injectors.

I used the OTC 7448a Fuel Injector Cleaning System on my truck last week with OTC Pro Inject-R Klein Fluid.

This system attaches directly to the fuel rail and is powered by shop air. It functions by bypassing the fuel supply system on the truck while running on the cleaning fluid. The process takes under 30 minutes and improves fuel economy by cleaning the injectors and restoring the spray pattern.

We have tried this system on the 2006 Tundra 4.7, 2 - BMW 530i's , 2 - BMW 540iT's, BMW X3, BMW 840ci, BMW 528i, and a BMW M5. All vehicles reacted in a positive manner by smoothing out acceleration, quieter idle, as well as stronger performance and better fuel economy. The most notable vehicle was the 540i with questionable maintenance that exhibited attributes of needing filters, plugs, tlc.... The car left running very smoothly. I am not trying to promote this as a cure all or an alternative to regular maintenance. All of the other vehicles in the list were in good mechanical condition with all maintenance current.

The process is simple:

Remove fuel pump relay or fuel pump fuse, and discharge pressure in system by starting the vehicle.
Install OTC Adapter onto the fuel rail (disconnect fuel line from fuel pump / tank)
Pour cleaning fluid into canister and attach the canister to shop air
Connect the cleaning solution hose from canister to fuel rail adapter.
Adjust fluid pressure regulator to 5psi below fuel pressure spec of the vehicle to avoid putting solvent into the fuel tank.
Start vehicle and run until the canister is empty and all of the cleaning solution is used up.

I hope this helps others! I have no affiliation with the OTC company or products that it creates.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Interesting. It would be interesting to hear of your results. did it bring back and MPG? noticeable power difference?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts