Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been hanging around here for awhile now as I'm interested in keeping my truck running. I've learned SO much. I really didn't know anything about changing timing belts and such. I had never had a vehicle long enough to do the maintenence type things to make them last. So two weeks ago, at the age of 36, I finally have a title in hand. When I bought the truck it had 59,000 miles and now has 135,000. I confess, I've never changed the transmission fluid. Several years ago my dodge died driving away from a transmission fluid change so I've felt every since that it's better to leave well enough alone. So my question, question's, do I just keep driving at this point and wait for it to go bad? Do I change it now? What's the best way to change it(what do I ask/say to my mechanic)? Also, from reading here it seems like cleaning the maf is a big deal. What about spark plugs? All I really know to do is regular oil changes, which I do, the whole timing belt deal, which I did, and WASHING THE UNDERCARRIAGE, which I'm doing better now. All in all it's looking great and running great and I would like to keep it that way. Thank you in advance.

p.s. I just put new tires, Yokohama's, and man I'm glad I did as we have had a bunch of snow and these tires have been great. And also it's a 2001 AC.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
change spark plugs, you can drain trans fluid, (4-5 quarts) and add new one. Change air filter. You'll be good for a while :) Also you can buy Toyota antifreze long life, and replace that too.

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
Seems like you did your homework and you know what you're talking about. Good job so far. I'm sure your truck is holding together well with all that care you put into it. I'm pretty sure the MAF sensor cleaning is pointed more towards the guys that have either changed to a cold air intake system or are driving a truck with lots of miles. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with cleaning it and you can just about never mess it up by doing so.

As for the trans fluid, if you've been over 100k, you should have it checked out. Which in my mind means, have it replaced. There's an excellent DIY thread written for a trans flush. That covers your basic drain and fill and then some. The flush uses an uncanny amount of fluid, so that can get expensive.

Otherwise, just keep the basics clean and your truck will run a long time. Keep clean air in, all moving parts lubricated, and all required electrical sensors working. That last one is a bit more challenging because you don't know they're bad until the dash is throwing a code.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. Are you talking about the O2 sensors when you say electrical sensors? I've replaced O2 sensors twice now and I have another one needed now but I've just kept driving. When I did the timing belt they also replaced the head gaskets. The O2 sensor stayed off for 6-8 months and then came back. Are the O2 sensors bad or are they sensing something?

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
In a nutshell, the O2 sensors tell the ECU the ratios of certain gases exiting by the exhaust. The ECU then determines the proper amount of fuel to inject to maximize the engine's fuel ignition thereby adjusting those gas ratios to whatever the computer has programmed for the sensors. A faulty O2 sensor will offer detrimental effects to your fuel economy and power, but you can still operate the vehicle. I'm not sure how many other sensors there are to monitor; but from my experience on TS, the O2 and MAF sensors tend to throw the most commonly seen codes causing the CEL.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts