Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had to do it... had the muffler and resonator removed and had a piece of pipe inserted in its place. The tone of the straight exhaust is great! It has a little bit of a cackle at high rpms. However, at 77mph ~2000 rpm, the noise is horrendously loud... droning... so bad that I can't even talk on the phone (I use handsfree... no bad driver flaming please).

I have done this several years ago to a 5.7GM, 5.0GM, 5.9Dodge gas and diesel and a 6.0GM... but this is a horse of a different color. The others were tolerable.

I realize there are several posts regarding exhaust systems. None of them have really answered my questions. I need some advice from folks who know from experience.

1. What is my most inexpensive route for toning this down? I just want to add a single muffler and use the OEM tail pipe.

2. What are the estimated costs

I hate to go back to the muffler shop and have my OEM muffler re-installed. The open exhaust would be nice if I didnt drive 1200 miles per week mostly on interstates.

any advice would be appreciated.:confused:

:ts:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I see 2 solutions...

1. You go back, pick out a muffler and just go the classic aftermarket route...which is what im in the process of doing.

2. You get the stock muffler put back on, and get dual electric cutouts welded in before the muffler. Loud when you want, quiet when you dont. Course, this will cost considerably more than option 1.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Solved this problem for another $75... Flowmaster. Sounds great and is tolerable at 78mph.

I DO NOT recommend removing the muffler and replacing with a piece of pipe if you get over 60mph!!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Wow, you're 1 step away form the local "Indian hot rod" trick.

1. Remove muffler
2. Blast repeatedly with 12ga shotgun
3. re-install
4. HOT ROD!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I just had to do it... had the muffler and resonator removed and had a piece of pipe inserted in its place. The tone of the straight exhaust is great! It has a little bit of a cackle at high rpms. However, at 77mph ~2000 rpm, the noise is horrendously loud... droning... so bad that I can't even talk on the phone (I use handsfree... no bad driver flaming please).

I have done this several years ago to a 5.7GM, 5.0GM, 5.9Dodge gas and diesel and a 6.0GM... but this is a horse of a different color. The others were tolerable.

I realize there are several posts regarding exhaust systems. None of them have really answered my questions. I need some advice from folks who know from experience.

1. What is my most inexpensive route for toning this down? I just want to add a single muffler and use the OEM tail pipe.

2. What are the estimated costs

I hate to go back to the muffler shop and have my OEM muffler re-installed. The open exhaust would be nice if I didnt drive 1200 miles per week mostly on interstates.

any advice would be appreciated.:confused:

:ts:
You're great entertainment for us "normal" folks! :D

·
Registered
330 Posts
LOL this is almost comical. Why anyone would spend over 30k on a highly tuned piece of technology and then go and cut the muffler off!!?? And then get on here and post about it. If you are going the custom route fine.. but otherwise..:td:

·
Benny Hill
17,369 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
LOL this is almost comical. Why anyone would spend over 30k on a highly tuned piece of technology and then go and cut the muffler off!!?? And then get on here and post about it. If you are going the custom route fine.. but otherwise..:td:
Almost? This IS comical! This just goes to show that brains and the ability to qualifiy for a loan aren't synonymous.

·
TS
579 Posts
My question is... why would you do this to a truck that you are selling?

·
Village Idiot
200 Posts
I got the flowmaster 50 put on and like it. but then the guys from home depot showed up to install some countertops and had the TRD Exhaust on thier Tundra. It sounded awesome! The flowmaster is raspy and that TRD is deep and thumpy. Too bad I'm broke from getting new countertops....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My question is... why would you do this to a truck that you are selling?
Read the date stamp. I removed the muffler in April and drove it like that for a while... then had the flowmaster installed in June. Now 43,000 miles later I find out that We will be issued company trucks and will no longer need the Tundra. So.... I will be selling a used Yota with a Flowmaster50

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and then...who would want to buy it!

... someone who does not believe in buying a NEW truck or cannot afford $37,000 for one.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Almost? This IS comical! This just goes to show that brains and the ability to qualifiy for a loan aren't synonymous.
I have yet to see any means for the flaming. I bought one of the first Tundras that arrived East of the Mississippi...before the rebates started and have put more miles on one than most people will see in three years... and owe about $0.00 on it.

So I guess I didnt qualify for the loan.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have yet to see any means for the flaming. I bought one of the first Tundras that arrived East of the Mississippi...before the rebates started and have put more miles on one than most people will see in three years... and owe about $0.00 on it.

So I guess I didnt qualify for the loan.:rolleyes:
So are you saying you had 37K cash laying around?

·
TS
579 Posts
Sorry, I didn't see the date. I didn't think that would make for a good sale with no muffler.

Goodluck with the sale. It's a great truck and someone will scoop it up

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So are you saying you had 37K cash laying around?
No, but my 06 Chevrolemon trade was paid for and I had the boot... ever listen to Dave Ramsey? He's crazy but has some good ideas.:tu::tu:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry, I didn't see the date. I didn't think that would make for a good sale with no muffler.

Goodluck with the sale. It's a great truck and someone will scoop it up
Your probably right... the no muffler deal would have put a kink in things if they ever got above 60 on the test drive:D. It has been a good truck though with no major problems--not even a broken tailgate latch. It will have waaay more miles that what I had anticipated by the time the other truck gets here... probably will be pushing 60K or so by March. I'm sure there's someone out there who is looking for a Tundra with a few miles on it though for a good price. If not it'll make a handy farm truck.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts