Toyota Tundra Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have yet to see any means for the flaming. I bought one of the first Tundras that arrived East of the Mississippi...before the rebates started and have put more miles on one than most people will see in three years... and owe about $0.00 on it.

I know I am off the point of the thread, but have you considered asking your employer to buy the tundi from you and then assign it to you. That way, you dont take a bath on the sale and they get a good used truck where the driver knows the history.

·
TS
579 Posts
Your probably right... the no muffler deal would have put a kink in things if they ever got above 60 on the test drive:D. It has been a good truck though with no major problems--not even a broken tailgate latch. It will have waaay more miles that what I had anticipated by the time the other truck gets here... probably will be pushing 60K or so by March. I'm sure there's someone out there who is looking for a Tundra with a few miles on it though for a good price. If not it'll make a handy farm truck.
For sure, and if you don't get a quick sale, do not rule out the local toyota or carmax dealerships. For some reason, toyota dealerships pay a pretty penny for their own used cars sometimes.

60k miles in a year? what the heck do you do?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have yet to see any means for the flaming. I bought one of the first Tundras that arrived East of the Mississippi...before the rebates started and have put more miles on one than most people will see in three years... and owe about $0.00 on it.

I know I am off the point of the thread, but have you considered asking your employer to buy the tundi from you and then assign it to you. That way, you dont take a bath on the sale and they get a good used truck where the driver knows the history.
Yeah right:rolleyes:... I can hear them horse laughing me now. Plus they are buying several Dodges for the lifetime powertrain warranty and the company president is big on uniformity. ....But it would have been a nice thought!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
For sure, and if you don't get a quick sale, do not rule out the local toyota or carmax dealerships. For some reason, toyota dealerships pay a pretty penny for their own used cars sometimes.

60k miles in a year? what the heck do you do?
:ts: I didnt realize this. I may hit up a couple of dealerships this weekend and see what happens. I'm not in a big hurry to sell it though.

...60K a year -- I'm a marketing manager in KY/TN and drive about 1300 miles per week. Sometimes I wonder myself what it is that I do. Throw in a few pheasant hunting trips to Iowa on top of that and PRESTO!!! 60,000mi.:cry:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yeah right:rolleyes:... I can hear them horse laughing me now. Plus they are buying several Dodges for the lifetime powertrain warranty and the company president is big on uniformity. ....But it would have been a nice thought!
I'm not sure if your boss with get that warranty since the trucks are for commerical use. It's usually only a 1yr. 12miles warranty for that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Here's a simple fix.

I have headers and a gibson single out exhaust. Had the droning from 70-80 MPH. I had a 16" resonator I got off ebay sitting in my garage from a previous car. I also noticed that the gibson has a 19" extension pipe right after the muffler so I removed that. I drove down to Autozone and picked up a 3" diameter extension pipe and cut a 3" section. I ended up with a muffler... 3 inch extension... 16" resonator. Now my truck sounds stock idling or coasting along. When I step on the gas you can still hear it but the droning is definitely gone. I was thinking this is a temporary solution till I buy a 19" resonator but now I changed my mind as the result exceeded my expectations. Also, since a resonator doesn't impede airflow I doubt I lost any performance. Hope this helps.
The resonator is a Megan brand.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Toyota spends many millions of dollars in R&D to insure the components of a vehicle's drivetrain work well together. A modern vehicle is complex with consideration for driveability, emissions, performance when a drivetrain is being engineered. It always amazes me when someone significantly alters one component without consideration for the rest of the system.

You experienced at least one piece of this - driveability as the vehicle was not pleasant to drive above 60.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
I'm not sure if your boss with get that warranty since the trucks are for commerical use. It's usually only a 1yr. 12miles warranty for that.
Vehicles used for fleets are entitled to the same factory warranty, even when they are upfitted. It just depends which PART of the truck is faulty :D That decides which OEM covers the repair.

·
Registered
162 Posts
<sarcasm>They have that black PVC pipe with the holes every 3 inches at home depot that looks like a machine gun barrel. If you use that on the end instead of metal pipe, you won't have any rust and it will drain really good. Also, it would make a cool whistling sound as you go faster.</sarcasm>

I read through this thread and yes, it is rocket science at it's finest.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
I thought the same thing, so I looked it up on Dodge's site:

Our new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty covers over 88% of our vehicles sold at retail in the U.S. Vehicles that not covered include those used as/for/by police, taxis, limousines, postal delivery, ambulances, rental or government – these will continue to be covered by the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I thought the same thing, so I looked it up on Dodge's site:

Our new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty covers over 88% of our vehicles sold at retail in the U.S. Vehicles that not covered include those used as/for/by police, taxis, limousines, postal delivery, ambulances, rental or government – these will continue to be covered by the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty.
Ok. It's the police thing then because I do some work at a police station and remember on of them mentioning it to me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
sort of funny and also asked for no flaming

Toyota spends many millions of dollars in R&D to insure the components of a vehicle's drivetrain work well together. A modern vehicle is complex with consideration for driveability, emissions, performance when a drivetrain is being engineered. It always amazes me when someone significantly alters one component without consideration for the rest of the system.

You experienced at least one piece of this - driveability as the vehicle was not pleasant to drive above 60.

·
Banned
367 Posts
No, but my 06 Chevrolemon trade was paid for and I had the boot... ever listen to Dave Ramsey? He's crazy but has some good ideas.:tu::tu:
Maybe you need to go back and listen to Dave Ramsey. If you are going to quote the guy at least get it correct.

You always pay cash, yes.
You NEVER EVER EVER buy a new car. You should buy a used car and let someone else take the hit.

Not that I agree with him, I love my new Tundra, but you at least got to get it right.

I really think that Ramsey is a cook who repeats the same thing over and over and over again on the air and in his books. If I hear him say "better than I deserve" one more time I am going to drive to Nashville and pay him a visit.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Could you have possibly overlooked the literal "HUNDREDS" of other ridiculous topics posted on this forum?

:rolleyes:

LOL this is almost comical. Why anyone would spend over 30k on a highly tuned piece of technology and then go and cut the muffler off!!?? And then get on here and post about it. If you are going the custom route fine.. but otherwise..:td:

·
Village Idiot
200 Posts
Where did you find a FlowMaster 50 for $75? I could use one at that price.
I got one for $60 bucks off ebay. The dude selling had no idea what it was...the 50 series is about twice as long as the 40 series. No one was bidding on it because of the vague description. I got lucky and got a deal. I would never buy something like a watch or jewelry like that though.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Can you post a pic of your family tree. What ever gene pool you come from intrigues me.:D

21 - 39 of 39 Posts