Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took it down to Surfside, TX and ran it on the beach. We probably went about 12 miles with a combination of hard pack, moderate soft and some wet sand. I tried full traction control (VSC), Auto LSD and system off in a variety of conditions.

I found that I kept it in full VSC mode most of the time and it worked quite well. In deeper (softer) sand I ran the Auto LSD. I have done some off-roading in the past so I wasn't suprised when it hit some soft sand and came to a halt. The Auto LSD mode was shaking violently as the truck slowed down. When I say violent, I mean it. When it finally came to a stop, it was clear we weren't going anywhere. Just out of curiosity, I put it in full VSC. There was much bumping and grinding but no movement. I changed to Auto LSD and there was a little movement but mostly digging itself deeper. lol I tried to rock it out by going from forward to reverse and back but the ALSD wasn't having it. As soon as you switch from reverse to forward, the brakes would apply and almost ZERO power was making it to the wheels. Incidentally, it seemed to make more progress in reverse than it did going forward. I tried turning off the entire system and rocking it but as soon as you touch the pedal, it would try to bury itself. :eek:

I jumped out and took a look. It was time to stop playing around since the differential pumpkin was now touching the sand and the running boards were close. I dug out the sand in front of the rear tires for about 2.5ft and the fronts for about a foot. I put it back in Auto LSD and after much violent shaking and banging, we were free and on our way. :cool:

I was impressed with the system overall but was really surprised that the Auto LSD had both of the rear tires nearly locked up. I rarely have the occasion to use a 4X4 and this was pretty impressive for a 2WD. :tu:

·
Ever the explorer
2,391 Posts
I worked on the outerbanks for a brief period, we had keys to the gates and could come south from Virginia Beach/ Back Bay NWR side. That is some amazing sand dunes in there. The Nor easter that came through left homes on stilts with nothing underneath except air.
But it is amazing the cars that were getting around in there. Would have been a great place to have sand ladders.
A 2x4 Tundra set up good should be able to move along just fine. We have sugar sand out here that is nasty stuff as well.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew what we were getting into when we did it. I wanted to find the limits and I guess we did. :D Since we were running mostly on harpack, I left the tire pressures higher than I normally would have. They were still around 30psi. It was fun exploring in the new Tundra.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts