Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am not affiliated with any manufacturer/supplier of any products. I am so impressed with the results, I thought I'd share my experience for anyone considering this DIY project.

First, I have this aftermarket android unit installed. It has a much larger and clearer screen. The surround view system is also compatible with the stock radio as well with this adapter (to allow the video out of the surround system to be injected into the Toyota radio).

This is the surround view unit I installed.

You cannot use the factory rear-view camera, but the one the comes with this kit is the same size and will easily replace the stock camera. Mounting was a challenge since the pattern isn't the same, but some double-stick tape and black caulk has it looking and operating just like stock. And without any cutting/trimming, it could easily be removed to reinstall the factory camera at a later date.

The side cameras are installed in the side mirrors. This does require a hole to be drilled on the underside of the mirror housing. Removal of the mirror from the door is required to get access to the wire chase for a clean install.

The front camera can be mounted either in the grill or on the bumper (which is what I did).

The cables are long enough to reach under the passenger seat from all four locations.

The reverse signal can be obtained from the two-wire harness pin (green) that plugs into the stock radio. Run that, constant 12v, acc, a coax/rca cable, and a separate trigger (to signal radio to switch to reverse input signal) to the passenger seat location.

Once all is assembled, cameras are calibrated using provided grid panels.

All in all, it took me about 5 hours (over the course of two days) to get it properly installed. It could be done quicker, but I was particular about leaving no evidence of the install. It required no splicing, cutting, or trimming (other than the hole in the mirror housing), so reversal is possible.

I got the impetus to install this after getting spoiled by the factory surround view on the wife's 2018 Highlander Platinum. The system I installed is considerably better (IMHO) because it offers configuration ability, and it has a built-in DVR that records all 4 video channels any time the engine is on.

I will post a few pictures and video tomorrow once it stops raining.

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Duplicate post....

·
Registered
6,090 Posts
Awesome find! I’ve been looking high and low to find a waterproof camera that would fit in the side view mirrors.

I assume from the look of it there’s no limitation in the movement of the side view mirrors?

Also any idea of the shock sensor input voltage so it can be replaced with a motion sensor to detect a psychotic ex-girlfriend who wants to damage your vehicle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No, none at all. In fact, unless you bend over and look, or feel the underside of the mirror, you'd never know there's been any change. It's no more obtrusive than the factory system on the Highlander.

Honestly, for the price, to get a 4 channel DVR, all the cameras, and a processor that stitches the images together so seamlessly, is really almost too good to be true. I've only had it in for a few days now, so my enthusiasm is probably a bit unrealistically high. We'll see, longer term, whether it's reliable.

I was a bit reluctant due to the poor rating at Amazon, but with so few reviews, the one bad one really spoils the average. And that guy rated it as a 1 star, because the pictures showed it with a monitor, even though the description clearly indicated it does not include one. The idiot didn't even buy it. I hate when people rate things that way... I know... First world problems.

ETA: About psychotic GF... I don't envy your situation. I don't know what voltage the sensor uses, or what the pinouts are. I suspect the sensor is inside the module that gets mounted separate from the main unit. It has a small dial on it to change the sensitivity, and an LED to indicate when it's triggered. The DVR function also records constantly when driving, and also allows for "emergency" clips - which are locked clips that won't be overwritten when the card loops. But I'm not sure how those emergency clips are triggered. I assume the files are locked only when the accessory power is off, and the sensor it triggered. Because to have the sensor set to detect minor impacts to the car when parked, would cause constant triggering while driving.

I suppose sending Weivision an email might shed light on it, but their Chinglish is so bad, there would be 10 different ways to interpret their answer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No, none at all. In fact, unless you bend over and look, or feel the underside of the mirror, you'd never know there's been any change. It's no more obtrusive than the factory system on the Highlander.

Honestly, for the price, to get a 4 channel DVR, all the cameras, and a processor that stitches the images together so seamlessly, is really almost too good to be true. I've only had it in for a few days now, so my enthusiasm is probably a bit unrealistically high. We'll see, longer term, whether it's reliable.

I was a bit reluctant due to the poor rating at Amazon, but with so few reviews, the one bad one really spoils the average. And that guy rated it as a 1 star, because the pictures showed it with a monitor, even though the description clearly indicated it does not include one. The idiot didn't even buy it. I hate when people rate things that way... I know... First world problems.

ETA: About psychotic GF... I don't envy your situation. I don't know what voltage the sensor uses, or what the pinouts are. I suspect the sensor is inside the module that gets mounted separate from the main unit. It has a small dial on it to change the sensitivity, and an LED to indicate when it's triggered. The DVR function also records constantly when driving, and also allows for "emergency" clips - which are locked clips that won't be overwritten when the card loops. But I'm not sure how those emergency clips are triggered. I assume the files are locked only when the accessory power is off, and the sensor it triggered. Because to have the sensor set to detect minor impacts to the car when parked, would cause constant triggering while driving.

I suppose sending Weivision an email might shed light on it, but their Chinglish is so bad, there would be 10 different ways to interpret their answer.
This is exactly what I am looking for. I know you can set this up so that the camera activates using reverse, left, and right signals. Is there a way to trigger the front camera? Maybe install a switch or something? Thanks for your help. Looks great.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is exactly what I am looking for. I know you can set this up so that the camera activates using reverse, left, and right signals. Is there a way to trigger the front camera? Maybe install a switch or something? Thanks for your help. Looks great.
You can configure the views in several ways. But, the simplest, non-invasive way to get forward looking + bird's eye is to tap the hazards. Having both left and right flashers come on triggers forward. Also, if you use your turn signal (either) or reverse, as soon as you resume forward motion (w/o turn signals going), it reverts to forward view. You can configure how long the camera views appear on the HU - any where from instant off, 5 seconds, to always on. I have mine set to 5 seconds after trigger is removed. I added a switch that lets me disable the cameras from triggering the reverse signal on the HU. There are times I don't want my screen to be interrupted by the camera views (i.e. watching videos - tsk, tsk, tsk)...

·
Registered
4 Posts
You can configure the views in several ways. But, the simplest, non-invasive way to get forward looking + bird's eye is to tap the hazards. Having both left and right flashers come on triggers forward. Also, if you use your turn signal (either) or reverse, as soon as you resume forward motion (w/o turn signals going), it reverts to forward view. You can configure how long the camera views appear on the HU - any where from instant off, 5 seconds, to always on. I have mine set to 5 seconds after trigger is removed. I added a switch that lets me disable the cameras from triggering the reverse signal on the HU. There are times I don't want my screen to be interrupted by the camera views (i.e. watching videos - tsk, tsk, tsk)...
Thanks for the quick reply and great info.
I know how to connect the wires for the turn signals and reverse line but I cannot seem to figure out how to wire the hazards. The side cameras and back cameras all have a trigger wire but the front does not. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know how to connect the wires for the turn signals and reverse line but I cannot seem to figure out how to wire the hazards. The side cameras and back cameras all have a trigger wire but the front does not. Any ideas?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry, I should have clarified... There is no separate hazard input. It's the fact that both the left and right signal are being applied to the camera system (by virtue of it being a hazard signal) that forces the camera to the front-view mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, I should have clarified... There is no separate hazard input. It's the fact that both the left and right signal are being applied to the camera system (by virtue of it being a hazard signal) that forces the camera to the front-view mode.
Thanks for your help. I finally got the cameras installed and man am I feeling old. Running the cameras through the mirrors took some time. All appears to be working. Now on to calibration.
I have the calibration cloth. Is there a good site or video that you used to do your calibration. The instruction book, all 3 pages of it, doesn’t explain much.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oh boy do I relate to your comments :) The mirrors were almost as bad as getting the back panel off the tailgate.

Just keep telling yourself "it'll be worth it" and, it will...

I don't recall what video it was, but it was on YouTube. All I remember was the girl doing the narration THOUGHT she was speaking English, but it wasn't understandable. But following the key strokes worked on the video worked.

If you were able to handle running all the wires, the calibration part ought to be very doable.

ETA: I just looked up Weivision calibration and found this video:

I'm pretty sure this was what I used. I recall the vertical (and sideways) video, but played it on my cell phone while in the car. If you have a large enough barn/garage to set up the template sheets, it really helps. I tried it outside at first, and even a slight breeze made lining things up so much more challenging.

ETA2: This appears to be a much better video!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts