Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm asking this question in the 1stgen Tacoma forum so I can get answers from the Tacoma folks. I have a 2001 Doublecab 4x4. Love it. What I don't love is the aftermarket tire selection in the stock 265/70/16 size. I want to install MTR's, but I'm not a big fan of lifts. So here are my questions.

1. Anyone running 255/70/16's in an MTR on their Taco? If so, do you have pics?

2. I really don't want to go with the 255's, I'd much rather go with a 265/75/16. I've searched my guts out on this site and found tons of good info, but not all of what I'm looking for applies to the 1stgen Tacoma. So this is what I'm thinking - 265/75/16 MTR's with NWOR's progressive coils and no change to the rear suspension. I'm THINKING that the coils will level out the truck and provide enough room for the tire. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone that is using this setup or a similar set-up. I wouldn't mind using just a 1" spacer if I thought that was enough or even a set of lift shocks.

3. By doing what is mentioned above, I've read a lot about CV's leaking due to the change in angle. Would a diff drop completely solve that problem, or would I still have to install hose clamps or high strength nylon zips.

That's it for now.

Thanks,

CB

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR's on my 02 Tacoma. when I first got them I only used Donahoe coilovers up front to level out the truck. The tires fit perfectly with no rubbing at all. I later used a 2" shackle to lift the rear and cranked up the coilovers another 3/4" to make it look level again.

This is what my truck looked liked with just the Donahoe coilovers up front with the 265/75/16 MTR's.

This is what it looked like after with the 2" shackle lift in the rear and coilovers cranked up to 2.75" up front.

·
Registered
469 Posts
^^Your truck looks great man.

Thanks. It was pretty hard to let it go. It was my first truck, but I have no regrets with my new Tundra. :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts