Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me say Thank You to "zlathim" for his write up in our technical section. Here's the link to his post I'm talking about.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/engine-and-drivetrain/74814-timing-belt-replacement-fsm-extract-2/

Secondly, I want to thank all the fellas that contribute here in helping folks like me that either can't afford the dealerships or just want to save a few bucks and have the tools to do their own work. This site is a money saver in itself. Also, Tim at TRD Toyota-Scion Performance Parts Accessories from Sparks Toyota-Scion was a big help and thank you sir for sending the right parts and for your fair price.

With the help of a copy of the FSM along with zlathim's write up in layman's terms I was able to perform this task in around 12 hours. When I read that it would take that long and having heard that the dealerships can do it in about 4 hours I figured I'd be there somewhere in between, but let me warn you, for the first time you do this, it can be a bit intimidating considering all the stuff you have to take off just to get to the timing belt and water pump. By the time you get there, your garage floor is going to be piled with nuts, bolts and parts from your truck. . I got scared, real scared by the time I got to loosening the A/C compressor and still didn't have a good view of the timing belt.

That 12 hours did involve myself with fabricating a crank pulley tool which I have a picture of here.

I spent $20 and about an hour and a half fashioning this piece and consider it well worth the money compared to the over $100 tool toyota sells to remove the pulley. I made the handle long enough to sit on the frame and drilled the holes to clock the pulley at top-dead-center when I remove the pulley nut. The flat bar was fashioned out of 1/4" scrape bar stock I had laying in the garage and the center bushing I bought at the steel warehouse here in Dallas, Tx. It is a 3.5" chunk of aluminum that I had them cut to 1.5" long and I used my drill press to cut a 2.25" hole in the center to center around the pulley nut. It worked out well and should come in handy the next time I do this. If anyone is interested, shoot me a pm and I can take close up pics and measurements if you want to create one.

I changed my water pump as well along with all the belts, but let me warn you, I made one BIG mistake. It was easy to overlook, but the wire that runs through the timing belt cover that goes to your cylinder sensor is a must have wire. LOL! I left some slack in this wire when putting things back together and the new timing belt caught the wire and sawed the wire in half. With this wire broken I got a "Open Circuit" warning code which shuts off the fuel pump. I was scared that I jumped time and had Vandergriff toyota of Arlington take a look at it. For $210 they simply taped the wire back together and I was done. I think that was a bit of a screwing, but then again, I paid the money and went on my way.

I guess I just wanted to say, thanks to the folks on here that go out of their way to help the rest of us Toyota owners and I much appreciate the forum.

-Dave

·
Mech. Engr. / Mechanic
824 Posts
I'm happy that all went well. Next time you'll be quicker.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
nice little custom made SST there!

if i remember correctly, the wires for the cam sensor should be shielded. hopefully the place that you took it to did that.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I remember about some connector on the outside cam cover that i had to take loose , but not about wires hanging. I did notice how all the oil hoses and pipes are really close to serpentine belt , not much clearance there.I did I forgot to get the compressor ground wire on . You are right there is a lot of room for mistakes.That's why dealer charges the big bucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts