Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fill in the blank.

For me it's got to be the interlock between the gear selector lever and the parking brake. I HATE IT. I've driven these trucks 130,000 miles and I suppose I'll never get used to it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
What gear shift e-brake interlock?

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
but nothing :becky:..... Im happy w/ my Tundra. :beavbutt:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
About the only thing I'd change would be the retarded roll up 2/3rds the way stop rear window action on the DC power rear glass

·
Resident Curmudgeon
5,211 Posts
t p m s

Did I forget to mention that the tire pressure monitoring system blows?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have an 04 limited and the VSC system blows when you change the tire size. Makes it brake in alot of turns that it shouldn't be.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
What gear shift e-brake interlock?
It is referring to the locking pawl inside the transmission. It isn't related to the emergency brake.

This pawl (lock pin) disallows any physical gear shift movement out of 'park' without depressing the brake pedal. People who have a tendency to get in, turn the key, and slam the shift lever out of 'park' don't like the fact that it takes a second for the pawl to slide out of its lock position. If you try to force the gear shift lever in the steering column before the pawl is removed, you are putting unnecessary strain on the shift handle assembly and risk breaking it.

Word of advice: To shift out of 'park', depress the brake pedal, count to 3, then move the shift handle. Your steering column -- and wallet -- will thank you.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The OP said parking brake or e brake to some

I've never noticed the slightest delay in my trucks ability to shift from park the instant the brake is depressed. Besides it's not like EVERY vehicle made in the past 15 years doesn't have a shifter/brake interlock

·
Premium Member
2,875 Posts
My lever movement is immediate as well. I think that it is only wise to apply the brake before shifting into gear.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ALWAYS use my parking brake. Every time. When I get in I crank the truck. Hold my foot on the brake pedal and with my other foot release the parking brake. Then when I try to get reverse, the lever won't move. All this has taken waaay more than a 3 count since I'm prone to let the truck actually run for a few seconds before I try to move. I reach over and push the parking brake back down and the shift lever pulls easily into reverse. My 05 did it and my 06 does the same thing. After 5 years you'd think I'd rearrange my method but that doesn't appear to be happening.

I never "slam" the lever out of park. Hate those "people" that do that...........

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
I ALWAYS use my parking brake. Every time. When I get in I crank the truck. Hold my foot on the brake pedal and with my other foot release the parking brake. Then when I try to get reverse, the lever won't move. All this has taken waaay more than a 3 count since I'm prone to let the truck actually run for a few seconds before I try to move. I reach over and push the parking brake back down and the shift lever pulls easily into reverse. My 05 did it and my 06 does the same thing. After 5 years you'd think I'd rearrange my method but that doesn't appear to be happening.

I never "slam" the lever out of park. Hate those "people" that do that...........
My 06 does the same thing... a good que to when to move from park to reverse/drive is after those annoying beeps stop when you start her up.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I've seen alum pie tins that are stonger that these rear bumbers.

LOL, you aint lying!

2 days after I bought my DC I was backup up (I wasnt use to driving the long azz DC yet) I barely bumped a concrete light pole and I ended up denting the right side of my bumper and it got pushed into my bed quarter panel and cracked the paint. :mad:

I was coasting on my brakes so I wasnt even doing 1mph. Id hate to see how the bumper holds up in a rear collion going 20mph+.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
About the only thing I'd change would be the retarded roll up 2/3rds the way stop rear window action on the DC power rear glass

There's an easy mod to fix this that I did on my 06 when I had it. Fold down the rear seats and remove the plastic cover (there are some big plastic screws and plastic pins that you just pull out). Once that's removed and with the window rolled up, there is an electrical connector on the driver's side (think it was blue) that you simply unplug. Use a zip-tie to secure the loose connector and you're done.

·
Registered
429 Posts
X2 on the rear bumper....almost every tundra I see, including mine has a dent. And like you, I kissed my bumper on a tree in my yard! More annoying....I love my Tundra, but I am still dealing with silly steering, even after new bushings, new steering rack, and other new parts...

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've seen alum pie tins that are stonger that these rear bumbers.
I got rear ended by an accord in 05 going about 30-35 with my old 2002 and that thing was destroyed, my bumper bent down but nothing else was really damaged.... we drove off without any injuries.... other driver broke arm or something...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
There's an easy mod to fix this that I did on my 06 when I had it. Fold down the rear seats and remove the plastic cover (there are some big plastic screws and plastic pins that you just pull out). Once that's removed and with the window rolled up, there is an electrical connector on the driver's side (think it was blue) that you simply unplug. Use a zip-tie to secure the loose connector and you're done.

Im trying that out tomorrow, I never new there was a mod for that, gotta love TS. :tu:

I understand why Toyota added that safety feature on the rear window but my daughter knows better than to stick her head out the back, plus she hates it open because it messes her hair up, 4yrs old going on 16. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts