Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some American Racing Mojave 16 X 8 wheels for my 2000 Tundra (V8, 4X4, TRD, LIMITED, ACCESS CAB) along with 265/75/16 BFG All-Terrains. I read all of the two major threads on lug-centric that also talked about balancing and all of the info about the Hunter GSP9700 and making sure to use the lug centric adapter. I called around and ended up using a place called Southern Performance in Virginia Beach, VA that had the GSP9700 and dropped off the tires and wheels instead of leaving my truck. I made sure to confirm they had the lug centric adapter and asked them to balance on inside of wheel since they are black. I went on to ask the guy about run-out and some other things I picked up on the threads. He seemed really knowledgeable at first saying with that machine I had two options 1) use the machine to achieve the least amount of wheel pull (which I believe is the the StraightTrak feature) or 2) just get them as balanced as possible. I opted for less wheel pull, going on his advice. I also asked him to save the printout when everything was complete.

Fast forward a couple hours later when I picked up the tires and wheels. He told me everything came out good. He showed me where he put the the balance weights, however there seemed to be an excessive amount of these weights attached to every wheel except one. Click on this link to see the pictures I took:
Pictures by yorgeycb - Photobucket
He put on two different kinds of weights as you can see. Which if you are up close, you can see the ones on the inside of the lip. My first question is; Do you think he did this properly? Is there supposed to be that many weights?

He also told me when I picked them up that the BFGs were too stiff for the StaightTrak to work to minimize the tire pull but that he was able to balance them real good. He gave me the printout, which I scanned in and you can see here:
Pictures by yorgeycb - Photobucket
He told me to ignore the tire height on the printout because he couldn't change it in the system, but that it didn't matter (my tire size is 31.5" and the printout says 29.65"). He tried to explain the numbers on the printout but I didn't really understand what he was saying. When I asked him about run-out, he added some more tech terms that I didn't understand. Can you tell me if tire size matters and whether the numbers on the printout look ok to you? I also didn't see any chalk marks to indicate that they tried to line up the "high spot" of the tire force "hoop" matched with the "low spot" of the wheel "hoop". I am waiting to put on the wheels until I receive the lug nuts I need in the mail. I have had balancing problems before and just want to make sure I am dealing with people who know what the are doing. I would really appreciate any feedback you could give me based on this info and the pictures in that link.

·
2015 Toyota Tundra DC SR5 5.7L
8,537 Posts
The higher load-rated tires (E-, D-, and sometimes C-rated) are heavy and can take more weight than a P-metric tire, but a ton of weight stuck to a wheel leads me to believe that the tires are not "road-force" balanced on the wheel, and the heavy mass tires really need to be.

Q: What is your tires' load rating?

As DJ said in this post: "To determine whether a particular wheel mounting is hub centric or lug centric is quite easy. What is important to note is that it is not the wheel that is hub or lug centric, rather it is the mounting of the wheel on the hub that is either hub or lug centric. So, you have to look at the hub, the wheel, and the lug nuts to puzzle it out."

Q: Are you sure the wheel/hub mating surfaces are lug-centric? Does the wheel fit snugly to the hub? If so, then your wheel/hub combo is hub-centric and you are going to be OoB when mounted after using a Haweka adapter to balance the tires.

I strongly suggest reading this thread: http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/1gen-tundra/107149-lug-centric-hub-centric-issue-what/#post732990

·
Registered
330 Posts
With all that weight, those have not been road force balanced. Guaranteed because I have been through this before!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts