Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have to get rid of my Durango R/T at only 31,000 miles!!! 10 trips to the dealer in 10 months is 9 to many! Anyway, she actaully wants to buy another Durango! Can you believe that?!?! Maybe if she had made 10 trips to the dealer she would be singing another tune! I've had it with Dodge (didn't want the piece of junk in the first place, but she had to have it). I've looked at the Sequoia and I love it. Lot's of room, great quality interior and exterior, good looks, and the reliability factor is a sure thing. She says it looks too big, but with as much as we travel with the baby and the dog we need lots of room (and reliability). I've shown her all of the data from the NHTSA site, but she just shrugs it off. So, how do I convince her this is the car we need and not another Duh-rango:confused: ? PLEASE HELP!!!

Quik

By the way, if you would like to hear more about my ordeal with Dodge, let me know and I'll e-mail you the details. Can't post info here, I don't want to get the owners in trouble or anything.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My wife didn't want a Sequoia because she felt it was too big until she drove it. She became an instant believer. In her own opinion, the Sequoia was easy to drive compared to the Durango, Expedition, Tahoe that we tested.

Take your wife to the nearest Toyota dealer and test drive one. If that doesn't work, nothing will.

Good luck.

:)

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
quik,

yeah, have her test drive one if she hasn't already. also let her sit in all of the seats when you're driving and she'll realize that the sequoia by far is the better choice. my cousin has a durango and he was going to trade his in after he rode in mine, but decided not to because he would've lost a buttload of money if he sold the durango. that's another reason you could give her, resale value. i don't know, other than the speed of the durango and the amount of aftermarket parts that they have for it the sequoia is a lot better. that's coming from someone that has spent a lot of time in a durango and almost got one. just my $0.02...

Chris

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I would also have to re-iterate the 'test drive' idea. My wife and I were looking at minivans for a long time. I tried everything I could to get her into an SUV(Sorry, I am not ready to forfeit my manhood for a minivan, no matter how convenient they may be). Friends had Tahoe's, she didn't even want to ride in them. The new Expedition was coming out, with some minivan type options(rear seat folds into floor, 2nd row can slide up close to the front) and she wasn't interested. We went to the Toyota dealer for about the 3rd time, I asked her to look at the Sequoia. She was willing to try it, and the rest is history. She was most comfortable in the Sequoia. Only negative comment she had was that the brakes take quite a bit of pressure, and this is definitely a true fact.
Good luck convincing your wife! /Mike

·
Registered
191 Posts
Same story- we were set to replace our minivan with a Honda Odyssey.

Out of the blue- it was my wife that came up with the Sequoia. I argued that it was too expensive, too big and a gas guzzler.

After one test drive - I was sold.

We both really like our 2002 Sequoia. Really, the only drawback is the lack of memory seats up front.

Compared head to head with the Chevy Tahoe- no comparison.
Smoother engine, better handling and a REAL third row seat.

Have your wife drive the Sequoia.

Wheh, finally thru the childseat and mini-van stage !!

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
I'm getting the feeling that the Sequoia just LOOKS HUUUUUGE. A couple people on the Sequoia forum have also mentioned it feels large...but it's actually smaller than a Tundra, with much more interior space and practically the same towing capacity. I'd say just from memory, it's of comparable size to the Duh-Rang-ah...with a heckuva lot more power, better handling (live rear axle with coils! Wish I could have that on my Tundra), more comfort, better crash rating, and...better gas mileage! :D
Let her drive a Durangutang and a Sequoia back to back, and if she goes for the Dodge, see if you can trade 'er in for the Sequoia :D :clown: !
Uh...typical female friendly stats...very safe, comfortable, fits more child seats than a Tundra, hauls more stuff better from Nordstroms than a Dodge, more environmentally friendly than anything made by Dodge, Ford, GMC, Chevy, etc...
Typical male friendly stats...good gas mileage, comfortable, big engine, lotsa power, looks nice, beat a Durango off the line any day, hauls more a55 better than a Dodge...

:clown: ok, I will admit, I'm definately biased over here :clown:

Good luck, hope you get the Sequoia :D !

-Sean

·
Registered
286 Posts
DeepStealth said:
I'd say just from memory, it's of comparable size to the Duh-Rang-ah...with a heckuva lot more power
The Sequioa is much bigger than a Durango but not quite as powerful (at least compared to the R/T version).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses!

We're going to drive the Sequoia, Pilot, and Duh-rango:rolleyes: tonight. I'll be sure to mention some of the facts you guys have mentioned. Thanks, and wish me luck.

Quik

·
Registered
14 Posts
What sold me was the passenger room and third row seating. I have one daughter and another baby on the way, plus my in-law always travels with us. Come next year there will be 5 of us, so I desperately needed the space. Add to that strollers, etc and you get the idea.

I would also like to add that the interior cabin noise is very low. This vehicle is very well insulated and shielded from outside noise. It may not have a luxury navigator-like ride, but it sure rides nice enough for me. I also considered the favorable crash test results for the Tundra into the mix.

Bottom line is, if you need the space and comfort, this vehicle, at $10,000 less than top-of-the-line luxury SUVs(Escalade, Navigator), is worth every penny. I purchased this vehicle without even test driving it. I read enough reviews, and compared opinions of owners on this site, to know that I was going to be happy with it. When I got behind the wheel to drive her home I felt like I was on top of the world. My only issues with this vehicle are minor. The biggest one is the power output. At 235 it's a bit low for travel up into the mountains. But the recently introduced SuperCharger will correct that for anyone wanting the extra boost.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
We have both a 2000 Tundra and a 2001 Sequoia. My wife changed from a '98 Corolla to the Tundra with some trepdiation. Very quickly, she decided it was GREAT. The Sequoia may look large, but it is quite nimble, easy to drive and park, and a FABULOUS highway cruiser.

Perhaps she could rent one for a week ...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Yes, I agree.
Have Her Drive it.

If she loves it, and she most likely will, there are some good deals right now on the 2002 SR5's. The Limiteds, while still a great deal, is more scarce and a little bit of a wait in many areas of the country.

If she thinks it's too big, and she might, wait a few months for the new 2003 V8 4Runner we are bringing in -- an all-new 4Runner, sorta like a smaller version, looks-wise, of the Sequoia with far different rear end look.

I am still doing build-orders right now for the 2002 Sequoias we still have coming. I have no pricing for the 2003 Sequoias at all. I can't even take orders for them, really, till September.

Dianne

·
Registered
273 Posts
Babies=Sequoia!!

My wife is very particular in what she drives. We traded a GS300 Lexus for our Sequoia, now that is proof! Hope this helps!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok. Guys !!! Do you mind I ask you how's tall is your wife? That's my cause some inconvenience for her? To me, if you're more than 5'4 then that's shouldn't be a problems, I think. Sequoia is a great SUV over all and I love it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My wife is 5'1" and she has no problem driving the Sequoia (other than climbing into it :D ).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: Thanks for the responses!

quik said:
We're going to drive the Sequoia, Pilot, and Duh-rango:rolleyes: tonight. I'll be sure to mention some of the facts you guys have mentioned. Thanks, and wish me luck.

Quik
So what happened???

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
my wife's 5'2" and no problems there either. she does feel tiny when driving it though, but that's what the seat adjustment is for. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Did somebody say "good gas mileage"? Compared to what? I'm at 1300 miles and my avg is 12.6 MPG. Of course that's almost entirely around town driving, and not much worse than I expected, just less than I was hoping for. Hopefully, it will improve some as the engine breaks in.

I had a tough sell over the Expedition with my family, too. My little kids liked the raised third row seat in the Expedition. Everyone liked the entertainment system that came in the Expedition and the nearly $7000 price difference was a big hurdle. Frankly, my wife didn't really notice much of a difference in the test drives. On top of that, the Ford salesman we were working with was actually a really decent guy while the local Toyota dealer had a bunch of sleazy types. My only selling point was reliability. Since our Explorer had been relatively trouble free for 8 years, even that was tough. Luckily(?), the transmission gave up on the Explorer while we were deciding. Having to shell out $2500 for a truck we were getting rid of left a bad enough taste in her mouth. Then the transmission guy told her that he loved Fords, because they were putting his kids through college. I think that finally convinced her that the extra dollars were worth it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hey DG

I have a fax for you. I Kelley Blue Booked a 2001 Sequoia SR5 pretty loaded (average equipment) and a 2001 Ford Expedition. I used the same equipment levels, and the motor is almost exactly the same displacement, ie. standard on same cars.

The net result?

Sequoia with dual air/climate control, all power, dual power front seats, CD/cassette, premium sound, ABS, traction (standard on all Sequoias) roof rack, priv. glass, running boards, alloys, two-tone, towing package, etc with 23k miles had a low book of $31,500 and a retail book of $37,270. That car in a 2002 model MSRP's for 36,714 right now! Cost would be about $32555 (and would also include side/curtain airbags and fog lamps, convenience package, and a few more incidentals that are not book-able).

The Expedition with the exact same adds clicked (but no traction control as it was not an option) -- but they have no side/curtain airbags anyway -- had a low blue book with 23k at $23,775 and a retail book at 28,470. I do not have any idea how much that Expedition is NEW at window or at invoice, but it's worth 20,000 right now if one could find a wholesaler who'd take it. The Sequoia's worth $29,500-30,000, perhaps more.

I'd say the Sequoia was the wise buy. Not only does the blue book prove it, but the market's very strong on Sequoia used. We do not whore Sequoias out on cheap "gotcher attention" leases that flood the market later to the dismay of anyone who bought their SUV and wants to sell it, and hasn't got the ability to turn the keys back to the lease company (Ford) and pass the problem on.

Dianne

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
dgraves1 said:
Did somebody say "good gas mileage"? Compared to what? I'm at 1300 miles and my avg is 12.6 MPG. Of course that's almost entirely around town driving, and not much worse than I expected, just less than I was hoping for. Hopefully, it will improve some as the engine breaks in.

We average about 17 - 19 MPG, more on long trips.

·
Premium Member
2,842 Posts
wup1295 said:
Ok. Guys !!! Do you mind I ask you how's tall is your wife? That's my cause some inconvenience for her? To me, if you're more than 5'4 then that's shouldn't be a problems, I think. Sequoia is a great SUV over all and I love it.
My wife is 5'2" and loves her Sequoia. We have the factory running boards and power seats. The running boards make it MUCH easier to get in and out. With the power seats, she just raises it up and it fits great.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts