Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm outside installing the stock stereo I had in my 06 DC into a 2003 Sequoia. Everything seemed to go well, it turned on and played cd's but I can't control the volume or adjust the base/treble/balance/fade. The 2 knobs just won't do anything when you turn them left or right. The stereo from my DC is a JBL and so was the one I took out of the sequoia (sequoia's stock cd player stopped working). So I figured since both are JBL's and look the same, it would work fine.

only difference from two stereos is the model number.

06 DC is 86130-0C130

03 Sequoia is 86120-0C120

Can anyone help?

Thanks

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't there some sort of security/anti-theft feature on these stereo's? Would that cause the problems?
Yeah, I thought about that too. But I'm not sure and if it is true, how do we solve that problem?

·
...Raptor Slayer...
2,233 Posts
its probably the connections themselves because they are different model numbers the connectors might have to be wired differently for different controls ...maybe

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Anti-theft I believe requires you to enter a code before doing ANYTHING with the unit. So that doesn't sound like your problem, unfortunately.

Maybe the problem is that SUVs usually come with different speaker arrangements/possibly amps...so going from an 06 Tundra to 03 Tundra may be okay, but crossing model lines is not? Not sure, just spitballing.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
Its because your Tundra have digital amp and your sequoia have analog amp. You need to find radio of non JBL tundra or change amp in sequoia to digital amp. All sequoias from 2005+ have digital amp and 2005+ tundra with JBL units have digital amp as well. Any year tundra 2000-2006 with out JBL have analog amp.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its because your Tundra have digital amp and your sequoia have analog amp. You need to find radio of non JBL tundra or change amp in sequoia to digital amp. All sequoias from 2005+ have digital amp and 2005+ tundra with JBL units have digital amp as well. Any year tundra 2000-2006 with out JBL have analog amp.

So it doesn't matter that they are both JBL, both the one I took out of the Sequoia and the one I tried putting in from my 06 DC?

For the record, I could hear sound. When I would put a radio station on or insert a CD, it would play it, I could change tracks, everything basically worked. BUT the volume was VERY LOUD and I can not turn it down or up. So I do get sound, that's not the problem. Problem is that I can't turn it down or up, it just stays there, I have to turn it off to stop it. The knobs worked perfectly in my 06 DC when I took it out.

·
Premium Member
2,829 Posts
yes, that is how digital amp works, it sends signals from your radio. Where Analog amp works completely different. Even thou both are JBL units, but they are completely different animals. Believe me I know, I have 2008 Toyota Solara Navigation (JBL also) in my 2001 Tundra SR5 with analog amp (I had to upgrade my amp and wire harness in order to make it work)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts