Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked and found some info but before I open my wallet I want to be sure. I need new lug nuts for my after market rims. I believe I need acorn style, 12mmx1.5". Does anybody have any other info I should know before purchase? Any bad decisions I should be aware of? I am thinking about a set of lockers too but need the lug nuts first as I am tired of living dangerous with the stock nuts. Also I am selling my stock wheels and thought it would be nice to include the stock nuts with them. So I need new nuts real soon.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, now the question is this. Any trouble with the regular acorn nuts? I remember a post where it was mentioned that "gorilla nuts" acorn style doesn't hold enough threads, so I'm leaning toward the chrome E/T acorn style. I know I sound picky but it's time to take my nuts seriously since I'm going to be on the freeway everyday for work. Any feedback will be appreciated.
If anybody has Axis Regulators what are you using to hold them on?

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
go to a discount tire or area major tire/wheel place like that and ask them to show you their nuts and once you talk about nuts and all they can sell you some nuts that are compatable...they have lots of nuts..all different kinds...it takes all different kinds of nuts to make teh world go round anyway.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HEY GUYS! My nuts are nothing to joke about! Without them I would go nowhere, my life depends on my nuts, they hold my wheels on.
Seriously though, before we get in trouble over our nuts, I just want to know if the E/T nuts are the way to go. I would hate to order them and find out they don't work. Anybody have E/T nuts? God that sounds funny too. Hard not to joke.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
you want to make sure your nuts are "1 piece" nuts. gorilla nuts fall into this category, as well as others. an example of "2 piece" nuts can be found on various ford products as well as other manufacturers. not knocking fords as i enjoy my mustang gt a lot. i don't know what comes stock on our rides as i have not inspected my nuts since purchasing my tundra. if i don't have "1 piece" nuts, rest assured i will after my next rotate and balance. i'll get my old nuts off at discount tire and get new nuts if necessary. this thread is toooooooooo easy! good job tundrunk!

·
Registered
524 Posts
I do have a T100 but its the same rear and same bolt pattern overall. I have a set of mickey thompson 8 hole wheels and tried the extended nuts. For me they didnt work properly as some threaded onto the stud more than others as there is no washer. i had thought about using a washer but decided I didnt want to and got the acorn nuts.

If you want my set of extended chrome ones, I have 24. They are used and have marks from the impact socket (apparently toyota nuts are actually stronger metal) to the chrome polish and there is some minor rust-but nothing some turtlewax chrome polish or similar wont take off. If you want them just pm me, since they arent perfect Ill sell for 20 bucks + shipping (they are kinda heavy btw). FWIW iirc it cost me 35+ dollars without shipping when new. I just want them gone as I have no use for them.
I only used them for about 250 miles..

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have to inspect your nuts whitelitenin! To make sure they aren't too loose. I've never seen two piece ones. My nuts have washers on them. My nuts aren't working right though so I need new ones. I might just buy CJMs nuts.
I never intended to get out of hand with my nuts problem but it's hard not to.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
what happens sometimes with the two piece nuts is that the outer part of the nut (the part that the socket/lug wrench slips over) can start spinning over the main part of the nut after several rounds of uninstall/install have taken place. i don't know why there is even such a thing as 2 piece nuts. quite a silly concept if you ask me. usually made of inferior metals. i remember separating a few on a 91 chevy van once. after this happens, you need two different sizes of sockets to remove/install all your nuts. double the trouble as you now have two sizes of nuts to get off. HA!

·
Registered
532 Posts
you have the stock nuts on aftermarket whels?? huh?? if thats true and the aftermarket wheels need acorn style seat you might ruin the aftermarket wheels. The lug nuts holding my 1069 pro comp wheels on my truck have like this little section extending beyond the acorn seat for maximum thread engagement. you most likely need those. the lug nuts holding my 1069 wheels look like the ones found in here http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/gor68138l.jpg

·
Registered
149 Posts
I was in a similar situation just this past week. I had the rims, tires were mounted, had the lugs that were made by the rim manufacturer for that specific rim.

I go to get them mounted, aaaaand the mechanic refused because there was not enough lug to mount them. He told me I needed ET lug nuts. I was pretty pissed, and didn't really see the benefit, but I took his word, went to http://www.brandsport.com/grla-68138.html (this link goes to the 12mmx1.5) and got a smoking deal on a set. I spent $0.96 per lug nut when I was quoted $3 by a different, albeit more "known" online tire retailer.

Once they came in, I could see why I needed the ET lug nuts. I went from 2 turns, to 5 1/2.

I will use ET lug nuts whenever feasible for the rest of my driving lifetime!

·
Leader of Group Evil
11,253 Posts
I agree, the E/T style is the way to go. I replaced my OEM nuts with longer, closed & tapered nuts after the rim job, since my OEM nuts didn't fit properly in the holes where I was trying to cram them--it was like trying to put a dog in a bathtub. I too found that the lugs were too short for my tapered, non-E/T nuts, and recently switched to a longer lug, 2.2" underhead length...the IS300 kit from ARP (ARP p/n 100-7715), you'll need to cut them down on a cold saw. Now I'm not limited to having one style of nuts.

...If you can't find good replacement nuts, you could always get a yellow armband instead.

-Sean

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
HAHAHA! I thought I was the only only who heard that on the slap-chop commercial!
No yellow band here!
Thanks everyone for the good info as well as the good laughs. Maybe we should discuss our nuts more often? I've been putting this off far too long and don't want to damage my nice rims(or have one fall off on the freeway). Soon I will pound my chest and show off my extra long shiny Gorilla Nuts!

·
Registered
56 Posts
if you have a Car Quest Auto Parts Store around they will be able to hook you up.

·
Registered
889 Posts
LOL... I was laughing so hard on this thread!

One nut... two nuts...

Tiger go to Gorilla for the nuts... :D:D

Sorry tundrunk... I can't help it. Hope you found what you need.

PS.. just do not go with your nuts loose.... you will get stuck on the road... and hopefully some chicks stop and offer for help... and ask what's wassup with your truck. :D:D

.... ok... I'm back to laughing again...

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Its all good bud, I've been checking my nuts every few days to be sure they are still there. If some chicks wanted to help I would be quick to show them my nuts, and how they got me stranded. I've been putting off getting new ones, my nuts are just the last thing on my mind lately. Uniballs are what I would rather spend money on, that way I don't worry about droop.
It's too fun, but I'm getting gorillas this week. Thanks to everybody who took time to help me with my nuts.

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You all new the day would come when I get my new nuts in the mail and post pics for all to see! They came in this week and I am so happy.
Here is a pic comparing new to old, also a pic comparing them on my wheels. They look a bit funny being so shiny but I'll get then dirty this weekend! Thanks to everybody who gave me some advice and everybody who laughed with me about my nuts!:lol:
This really has been a funny thread!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts