Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to look into that chirping / squealing sound that my truck does.......ONLY on a very cold morning. Sometimes I could shut the engine off and restart an it would be gone. That's has not been working lately, making me think something was getting ready to ****.
I marked the belt (which was it was facing) and took it out......started the truck........no noise! B4 I took the belt out I did start it and it had that awful squealing!!
After shutdown, I checked for skoothness and play in all the spinning parts; alt, A/C pump, PS pump,etc.......then I got to the tensioner / Idle pulley. Loose........very loose. I yanked it out (reverse thread) and carefully pried the inner seal from the bearing..........it was dry and crunchy in there. I repacked........re-installed the seal and put it all backtogether........no squeaky.........so far.
I think I'll look into replaceing the pulley....my most carefull work at replacing that seal was "not pretty".....at least it think I know where that damn squeal was coming from. :tu:

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
they have a TSB for updated drive belt tensioner AND the ac bracket.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Weren't it discussed already that AC bracket is BS all you need is new Goodyear Gatorback belt and maybe a new tensioner /pulley

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think my truck is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past the dealership doing any TSBz

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Glad you found the cause. Repacking the bearing will work as a temp. repair, but I would replace the tensioner. It sounds like that bearing is toast.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I think you are to be commeded for taking the time and effort to chase down the noise and repack the bearing. Nice work!

·
Supportive Supporter
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I found the whole tensioner assy on a toyota parts site....about 75 bucks.......but I wonder if I could just press out the old bearing and get a new bearing from a bearing house and press it in?
Doesn't sound too hard......:eek: (but nothing ever does...)

·
Forum Admin
8,242 Posts
I think I found the whole tensioner assy on a toyota parts site....about 75 bucks.......but I wonder if I could just press out the old bearing and get a new bearing from a bearing house and press it in?
Doesn't sound too hard......:eek: (but nothing ever does...)
That's the truth!!

What I think is funny is that even though someone sells a replacement part, but you're trying to replace a part inside the part that is normally replaced. Dunno what money you're saving, but I'm sure it'll be a learning experience! :crazy3d:

·
Registered
32,593 Posts
Used to save tons of money like that on ATV bearings. They are getting those bearings from somebody....OEMs would not usually produce their own bearings.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I just rebuilt a tensioner on a Cummins ISX cuz there wasn't a new one in town. I'm not sure if it is worth the hassle for $75 though.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
well if you have bearing <10$ and a bench press than its not that difficult. I replaced jet turbine bearings on my jetski myself and saved +100$. i did had to cut with dremel the old one, heat up the housing, freeze the new one and it slipped in nicely. Me thinks that i'll give it a try if its only the bearing worn out instead of 75$ or stealer doing it. Its not that difficult to get new bearing same size/specs and install it. Or just shell out $75 :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts