Toyota Tundra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a used 2004 Tundra. It did not come with a keyless entry remote, which i though was strange b/c it has a lot of other features (TRD, JBL sound, sunroof, etc). I was digging around and found a couple things - a small metal toggle switch on the driver's side kick panel and an antenna thingy mounted inside up by the top left corner of the windshield. I Googled the part number on the antenna (118C1123), and it appears to be an alarm 2-Way Antenna. Found results for that part number for Code Away and for Prestige.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was/is an aftermarket alarm system. The radio has never got reception, which leads me to believe that there was an aftermarket deck and when the guy sold it he put the factory radio back in and didn't hook up the antenna wire. There's also a stealthy install of an XM Radio module. So, the person who owned it before me must have done some stuff to the truck.

Anyways, aside from taking it to the dealer or a car audio shop, how can i determine if there is an aftermarket alarm, keyless entry/ and/or remote start? I know i can trace the wires, but where would these modules typically be mounted? What are some key things to look for? If there is something installed, how could i test its functionality? Either way, it looks like the hard part (the wiring) is already done. How could i go about getting this, whatever it is, back in action?

btw, i called the dealer and gave them my VIN#, and they said their records did not show keyless entry as stock installed feature. Not sure how accurate that is, but thought i should mention it.

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: I opened up the dash and found the module (pics attached). It's a Code Alarm 425, p/n 102-5121. I've contacted Code Alarm about ordering some replacement parts to get this back to being operable. I have read some pretty bad reviews about Code Alarm, so i'm not counting on them being able to help me out very much. Does anyone have experience with this scenario? Would i need to simply buy a new remote, or replace the entire system? I'm ok with replacing the whole thing if need be. If I bought the same module(s), would it pretty much be "plug-n-play"? Any direction on the next steps i need to take would be greatly appreciated. All i'm really trying to achieve is getting keyless entry, but if the modules/wiring is already there, i wouldn't mind having additional feature. Would it be as simple as just buying one of these?

Sooo... I did some more exploring and took off the driver's side door panel and found a couple gray cubes (relays) with some pretty bad wiring (pics attached). I'm assuming these are for the keyless entry add-on? Check out the pics...umm, where is that black wire supposed to be attached? For a while now, i've been having some strange sporadic behavior with the locks...

- [frequent] After opening the door with the key, the unlock button does not unlock the other doors. Have to manually reach over and push the lock lever back. However, with the car started, the locks work fine.

- [occasional] When key is in ignition, if i lock the doors with the lock button, they all immediately unlock. I have to remove the key from the ignition to be able to lock my doors.

These problems must be a result of that crappy wiring job in the driver's door. Any thoughts on how to troubleshoot this? I'm sure it's more complicated than "hook up the black wire where the blue wire is" (that's actually where it looked like it was probably hooked up). I'm not experienced with alarm systems, but have installed a few audio systems, enjoy working on stuff like this, and i'm willing to research and learn whatever i need to. just looking for some starting points. I'm more than happy to pull off the dash and door again to gather any additional info (pics, diagrams, etc) that will help troubleshoot this.

Thanks you in advance for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
Here's the problem... back then Toyota used to use a special door ECU to control all of the locks. If you didn't have factory keyless, you had to go into the door to wire it up (which you've seen the poor way of doing). I'm not sure what the second relay is for. The only thing I can think of is they tried to do a reversal setup with the relays and couldn't get it to work correctly.

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diag...RA-DOUBLE-CAB_TOYOTA and LEXUS door lock .pdf

assuming the alarm still works, you should be able to follow that diagram and get it working with some new remotes. I've used Code Alarm for years and just like any other company, they have their good days and bad days...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts