Toyota Tundra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
While I was under my truck, spraying some spray paint over the rust, I noticed I had some oil all over my drivers side CV boot, I thought my CV boot had been compromised/cracked/torn/ripped and was throwing the grease everywhere.

Then I looked around some more and realized that the last time I had filled my front differential, I had put in too much as unlike the rear diff where one fills it until it runs out the hole, we can't do the same to the front diff or it will blow out the breather/vent-hose, that is what the oil that I had seen on everything was.

On the bright side, there was no rust where the oil had gotten on everything under there.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Then I looked around some more and realized that the last time I had filled my front differential, I had put in too much as unlike the rear diff where one fills it until it runs out the hole, we can't do the same to the front diff or it will blow out the breather/vent-hose, that is what the oil that I had seen on everything was.
Hmmmm.... Really? I didnt know that. I filled my front diff up till it ran out the hole, just like the rear. I dont get any overflow... Looks like I may though, if this is true! That is how I changed all 3 (front, rear and transfer) filled them up till the new oil spilled out the overflow-fill hole.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is not a big deal if the front diff gets overfilled, like on my truck, it just goes out the tube-vent. If you look down in the engine, around where the oil filter is and to the right of that, you will see 3 tubes with caps on them, one of them is for the front diff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts